Of Microsoft Minutes and an ANC Year...

  • pbs@iafrica.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2005
      From: WWW.AfricanCrisis.Org
      [A former co-worker of mine, who was a Linux fanatic always spoke
      derisively about a "Microsoft minute". What he referred to were Microsoft
      install programs which count down and tell you how many minutes or
      seconds to go until the install is complete. The program might say: 20
      seconds left... and then you end up waiting another 5 minutes. So he used
      the term Microsoft minute to denote a lie... a minute which was much
      longer than a real minute!!

      In a similar vein, I would like to coin my own term: An ANC-Year! By this
      I am referring to the sentences criminals in South Africa get. We now
      have criminals who get 25, or 100 or 200 year sentences. It sounds
      hellishly impressive... but only on a purely superficial level. For
      example... nobody lives long enough to serve out a 100 or 200 year
      sentence... so much of it is meaningless. Also, adding further to the
      superficiality of it all is that sentences can be served simultaneously.
      So a criminal who gets 3 x 25 year sentences totalling 75 years in
      reality only has a 25 year sentence. Add to that the fact that many can
      get parole after 5 years... or for good behaviour. In short, a most
      impressive-sounding sentence eventually becomes rather insignificant...
      and hence I think we should refer to it as an "ANC-Year". An ANC-Year
      might really only amount to a few weeks in "real time".

      Whereas Microsoft pretends the time left is less than it really is, the
      ANC pretends criminal sentences are much longer than they really are.

      Come to think of it... I wonder if an ANC-Year is about as long as a
      Microsoft minute??? Maybe its the same thing!?
      Jan]