S.Africa: Chaos at school as one youth shoots another

  • pbs@iafrica.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2005
      From: WWW.AfricanCrisis.Org
      [It is not clear what race the pupils were who did this. There is no
      discipline in South African schools any more - for which I would
      personally like to thank the ANC. Jan]

      Chaos erupted at a high school in Eersterus on Monday when a youth was
      gunned down, allegedly by a 17-year-old pupil from Eersterus Secondary
      School.

      Shocked family members and school children stared in horror at the body
      of 18-year-old Marcel Davis who was left to die in an open piece of veld
      adjacent to the school.

      It is believed the suspect is a Grade 11 pupil at Eersterus Secondary
      School and that he is out on bail following an earlier murder charge.

      Police Captain Piletji Sebola said such details could not be confirmed
      until further investigations had been done.

      'I do want to make a statement to reassure parents that everything is
      under control'
      According to information the suspect was approached by Davis and a friend
      - neither of whom attend the school - during break-time on Monday
      morning.

      A concerned parent, who did not want to be identified, said he saw the
      suspect and Davis's friend begin to argue on the playground. The argument
      apparently had nothing to do with Davis.

      ------

      "Next thing there was a lot of commotion. I started running to the spot
      where all the schoolchildren were standing but I knew I was too late,"
      said the parent.

      It is believed the suspect opened fire on Davis and his friend when they
      ran away. Davis was hit and collapsed. Paramedics were called to the
      scene but could not save his life.

      One of the parents said he was concerned about how such a tragedy could
      occur.

      "This is a child who was not even at the school. It appears he was
      innocent and now he is dead.

      "We definitely have a problem of outside children coming on to the
      school's property during break-times and then starting fights with the
      pupils," he said.

      After the incident, the pupils were called to the quad area where
      principal Dorothy Magardie explained what had happened before telling
      them to go home.

      It was unclear how the suspect managed to enter the school with a
      firearm.

      The concerned parent claimed the suspect had informed school officials
      that he had been threatened some time ago and that he carried the gun
      with him for safety.

      Davis's father, Canny Olifant, walked around shocked and dismayed at the
      scene.

      "I am traumatised by this," was all he managed to say.

      Parents complained of a lack of security at the school, including the
      fact that there were holes in the perimeter palisade fencing.

      Magardie said security was a serious issue for the school and had been
      discussed at several parent meetings.

      "We know there is a problem and the relevant stakeholders have been
      informed. The problem is a lack of funding," she said.

      Magardie said she was not allowed to comment to the media but added: "I
      do want to make a statement to reassure parents that everything is under
      control."

      This article was originally published on page 1 of Pretoria News on May
      04, 2005

      Source: Independent Online (IOL)

      http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=13&art_id=vn20050504082018385C645749