USA: Arrest at Anne Coulter speech

  • pbs@iafrica.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2005
      From: WWW.AfricanCrisis.Org
      [We have reached a happy point in life where the best thing the political
      Left can do is jeer and behave like morons when a Conservative speaks.
      Hmmmm... I apologise... I'm wrong... the Far Left has ALWAYS behaved that
      way. I apologise for giving them more credit than is their due. Anyway, I
      am still pleased. Anne Coulter is doing an incredible job. Viva Anne
      Coulter... and forward with the global trend to the Right. Jan]

      XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX WED MAY 04, 2005 12:01:02 ET XXXXX

      Arrest made at Coulter speech; Student arrested, charged with disorderly
      conduct after offensive question
      Wed May 04 2005 11:57:58 ET

      Incessant heckling and shouting culminated in an arrest Tuesday night
      during a speech by controversialist Ann Coulter at the University of
      Texas at Austin.

      THE TEXAN reports: Shouts became so pervasive during the
      question-and-answer session that Coulter informed the organizers she
      would no longer take questions if the hecklers were not silenced. For a
      time, the shouts were considerably lessened, until the issue of gay
      marriage was broached.

      Coulter said she supported the definition of marriage as between a man
      and a woman on the basis that a good woman civilizes and inspires a man
      to strive for something better, leading to a question that was met with a
      stunned silence.

      "You say that you believe in the sanctity of marriage," said Ajai Raj, an
      English sophomore. "How do you feel about marriages where the man does
      nothing but f*@k his wife up the ass?"

      UT Police officers approached Raj to arrest him, resulting in a mass
      exodus of protesters chanting, "Let him go."

      "The person had been disruptive the entire event," said Matt Hardigree,
      former Student Events Center president. "He took the opportunity to say
      something lewd and offensive and then made masturbatory gestures as he
      exited."

      Hardigree said that Cheryl Wood from the Office of the Dean of Students
      spoke with some of the protestors before the event, and assorted members
      of the Distinguished Speakers Committee asked them to sit in the back if
      they had signs and to leave quietly if they wanted to leave.

      According to Jeffrey Stockerwell, a friend of Raj, officers violently
      seized Raj and illegally searched him after his question.

      Police have charged Raj with disorderly conduct, a Class C misdemeanor.

      Representatives of the Austin People's Legal Collective were taking
      statements from everyone at the scene, in case it should be taken to
      court.

      The booing began early into Coulter's speech, when she issued a joke to
      pro-choice advocates.

      "I wonder why those 'I Heart Partial-Birth Abortion' T-shirts aren't
      selling better," she said, followed by a combination of cheers and
      jeers.

      One student asked Coulter why universities and institutions place
      microphones in front of Coulter when she advocates terrorism against
      liberals, prompting Coulter to mention the strength of her book sales.
      Coulter has had four New York Times best sellers.

      The $30,000 event was co-sponsored by the Texas Union Student Events
      Center and Student Endowed Centennial Lectureship Committee.

      Developing...

      Source: Drudge Report