White Poverty up by 30% in 1998-2004 - 1 million earn less than $1,500 per annum

  • pbs@iafrica.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2005
      From: WWW.AfricanCrisis.Org
      [Just this morning a White co-worker confided to me: "I think Mbeki HATES
      WHITES!" Make no mistake... these Blacks are slowly, patiently out to
      destroy us. They're being patient about it now... moving slowly and
      stealthily... But they want to nail our asses - especially us White
      males.

      But we White males should not cower in fear before them. We must also
      wait, just as patiently, for our chance to defend ourselves. Jan]

      By Sheena Adams

      Although there were still fewer poor whites than blacks in the country,
      poor whites were exposed to an "indifferent and hostile" government.

      So believes Freedom Front Plus spokesperson on labour Willie Spies, who
      said yesterday that the country's labour force was more divided than
      ever.

      New government labour policies had resulted in white and coloured males
      being the "new marginalised and vulnerable sector in the labour market".

      Quoting recently released Statistics SA figures, Spies said that while
      the number of formally employed people had increased during the past six
      months, unemployment among white and coloured men had increased
      markedly.

      "In its drive to achieve a more representative head-count in the economy,
      the government identified so-called white males as the most unwanted
      species," he said.

      "It has shown that it would leave no stone untouched to reduce their
      number in all sectors of the economy.

      "Yet the government often neglects the fact that most of these people are
      caring fathers and loving husbands fearing the future as it is becoming
      increasingly difficult for them to make ends meet in the South Africa
      created by the ANC."

      Spies said other statistics showed that the level of poverty among whites
      had rocketed by 30% between 1998 and last year, with more than 182 000
      white households - about 1-million people - earning less than R9 000 a
      year.

      "Although it is acknowledged that the percentage of poor whites is still
      smaller than the percentage of poor blacks, poor whites, unlike their
      black counterparts, are exposed to a government-imposed environment that
      is not only indifferent towards their plight but even hostile to efforts
      aimed at improving it."

      An example of this was the decision by the Gauteng provincial government
      to "punish" NGOs which served a majority of poor and vulnerable whites by
      reducing their subsidies.

      Spies said it was ironic that despite the "new forms of discrimination"
      in the labour market, few workers were benefiting from black economic
      empowerment (BEE) initiatives.

      "BEE has become an instrument by which a small minority of the black
      elite is empowered while workers, whether black or white, are left in the
      cold."

      Source: The Star (Johannesburg)