S.Africa: Soweto: Blacks don't want to pay for water

  • pbs@iafrica.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2005
      From: WWW.AfricanCrisis.Org
      [Blacks don't like paying for anything - even when it is their own
      country. They steal electricity by engaging in illegal hookups. They
      don't want to pay for telephones. They don't want to pay for water.

      Why do we Whites want to associate ourselves with such a race of thieves
      and losers? Jan]

      Tensions ran high as angry Soweto residents rampaged through the streets,
      pulling out newly installed water pipes.

      About 300 White City residents, protesting under the banner of the
      Anti-Privatisation Forum (APF), gathered at a local soccer ground
      yesterday to voice their opposition to a move by Joburg Water to install
      pre-paid water meters at their homes.

      "Away with the council's water meters, away!" shouted the crowd.

      According to Smangele Ngubane, a spokesperson for the protesters,
      residents had been taken by surprise last month when council workers
      descended on the township and started digging trenches to install the
      meters "without our consent".

      "This project has caused a lot of confusion among the residents. We have
      been told that under the new system, people will only be able to access
      water if they have paid for it. That sounds ridiculous because, since I
      grew up here, we have never had to pay for water," said Ngubane.

      She claimed that the council had used threats to get the community to
      accept the new system.

      "In some instances, people have been told that if they don't accept it,
      they would be evicted from their houses. Others have been told that they
      would have their water supply cut off, while pensioners have been
      threatened with the withholding of their monthly grants."

      Sabina Molefe (60) said she could not be expected to be able to pay for
      water on her monthly pension, which she used to support four other
      members of her family.

      "The government must understand that people are unemployed. We as
      pensioners look after sick people in our homes. How are we going to bathe
      them and wash their clothing if we do not have water?" asked Molefe.

      "We are going to resist any move aimed at forcing us to pay for water,"
      she added.

      Following a heated meeting, residents decided to move into the township
      and pull out the plastic pipes.

      The situation almost turned ugly and tension hung in the air as some
      residents refused to allow the protesters access to their premises.

      One agitated resident told the protesters not to enter his yard because
      he was happy with what the authorities were doing.

      As things calmed down, the protesters agreed to take the pipes to an open
      space, where they were dumped. They dared the council to return to the
      area if they wanted further confrontation with residents.

      APF organiser Trevor Ngwane said the problem was with the privatisation
      of water.

      "It means the poor won't have access to water ... and we believe that
      water is life. This is going to be a crucial issue in the coming local
      government elections," he warned.

      However, Joburg Water spokesperson Jameel Chand described the new system
      as democratic.

      "We are not forcing people to accept the meters. They can either say yes
      or no. We only install the meters on that basis, and there has been a
      very small percentage of people who are saying no," he said.

      According to Chand, of a total of 5 000 households in White City, 4 500
      had accepted the meters. He said the project had encountered resistance
      only from the APF.

      Chand also pointed out that the project was aimed at upgrading
      infrastructure in the townships and putting in some form of metering. He
      indicated that in Phiri, where the system is already in operation, 99% of
      the residents had approved it.

      He also denied the allegations that residents were being coerced into
      accepting the new system.