S.Africa: Lion-victim scared with airgun

  • pbs@iafrica.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2005
      From: WWW.AfricanCrisis.Org
      [Last night on TV news, they said that the marks on the deceased's skull
      could also have come from a panga [machete]... We will see as this trial
      develops, what evidence comes out. So far, it seems to be blacks being
      brought in to testify against this white guy. I am curious to see what
      the white guy admits to or says, when he gets to the stand. I think he
      did say initially, he is going to say nothing because this is not a free
      and fair trial. Jan]

      Phalaborwa - A "no-name brand" airgun was indeed the weapon pointed at
      her from the tree murder victim Nelson Chisale was tied to in January
      this year, a domestic worker testified on Wednesday.

      "This is the firearm I referred to," Thuli Siwele told the Phalaborwa
      circuit court.

      She was giving evidence in the trial of three men accused of feeding
      Chisale to lions after assaulting him on a Limpopo farm.

      Siwele was brought in from the witness protection programme for a second
      time to take the stand in the trial.

      The accused, Mark Scott-Crossley, Richard "Doctor" Mathebula, and Simon
      Mathebula (no relation) have all pleaded not guilty to murder charges.

      In her evidence-in-chief on Tuesday, Siwele told the court
      Scott-Crossley's son brought him the weapon which she later saw pointed
      in her direction as she turned to a shout to "look-out" when she went out
      to hang up dishwashing cloths.

      She immediately ran back inside.

      When the boy returned to the house he was laughing, Siwele, told the
      court on Tuesday.

      He asked her: "Thuli, what were you running away from?"

      She did not answer him.

      "I put it to you that this is an air-gun, or commonly called a
      pellet-gun," Scott-Crossley's defence counsel Johann Engelbrecht SC
      suggested, after pointing out that the make of the weapon was not known.

      "I don't know. To me it's just a firearm," replied Siwele.

      The air-gun was handed in as an exhibit, as were the hiking boots
      Scott-Crossley was wearing when he allegedly kicked (Chisale) on the side
      of his face.

      According to Robert Mnisi, another witness under protection, this
      happened as Chisale lay injured, tied to a tree.

      Mnisi was originally arrested along with the other three, but later
      agreed to testify for the state.

      People in court got off their seats as he demonstrated the kick, with the
      flat of his shoe against the head of a court official, while under
      cross-examination by Richard Mathebula's counsel, Mathews Kekana.

      Also handed in as evidence was the Leatherman supertool Mnisi alleged
      that Scott-Crossley used to cut the wires tying Chisale to the tree
      before he was loaded onto the back of a bakkie and taken to a lions
      enclosure in Hoedspruit.

      Source: News24.Com
      http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_1656261,00.html