Kerry's Un-Americanism Runs Deep

  • Stephen
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2004
      Blank Click Here

      Questioning Kerry's Patriotism

      1:00 a.m. Eastern

      © 2004 WorldNetDaily.com

      It's time to stop pussyfooting around with John Kerry.

      This guy is a malapropism away from the presidency.

      And what we learned about his character this week needs to be shouted from the housetops across America – because it doesn't appear my colleagues in the press are willing to share the information with the public.

      Documents prepared by the Communist North Vietnamese government in 1971, and later captured by U.S. forces, show unmistakably that Kerry was operating under the direction of the enemy. He was being steered by Hanoi. He was being coached by the Viet Cong. And he was taking this direction, this steering and this coaching willingly.

      In case you missed it, you can find all the gory details in a report in WorldNetDaily earlier this week. It's fascinating reading. But it is more than that 72 hours before Americans decide who is going to be the next president.

      Think of what I am saying: A man who came to prominence and notoriety in American life, and who is now on the threshold of winning the White House, was actively aiding and abetting the enemy just 33 years ago. He was a tool. He was an agent. He was working for the other side.

      That's why I say it is time to stop playing rhetorical games with respect to Kerry.

      There is only one word in the English language that adequately describes what he was in 1971 – and what he remains today for capitalizing on the evil he perpetrated back then. That word is "traitor."

      Apparently there is some unwritten code of dishonor among my colleagues that restricts them from speaking so plainly. They don't want to be accused of "questioning Kerry's patriotism." In my mind, there is nothing to question. The man hates America. There is simply no other explanation for what he did then and continues to do today.

      Recently, the most decorated living American soldier, Col. George "Bud" Day, compared Kerry to Benedict Arnold. There is only one difference between Kerry and Benedict Arnold. The latter was a genuine war hero – by all accounts a brave fighting man who became a turncoat. Kerry was, at best, an undistinguished soldier, a malcontent, who groped for medals by writing his own after-action reports, hyped his own self-inflicted wounds, left action after four months in the field and then openly joined the enemy.

      He became, arguably, the most important human asset in the public relations arsenal of the Vietnamese Communists.

      Kerry knew and the Vietnamese knew that American military forces could never be defeated on the battlefields of Southeast Asia. So they set out to defeat them in the world of politics and public opinion. They set out to destroy America's will to fight. They set out to undermine America's morale and self-confidence.

      And it worked. It worked brilliantly – so brilliantly that Kerry was rewarded for his treacherous behavior with a successful political career.

      But now the truth is out there for all to see. The smoking-gun documents produced by Kerry's own friends and allies in Hanoi have betrayed him. All that remains left for Americans is to recognize what those documents mean.

      They mean the man so close to becoming commander in chief of the armed forces of the United States is the man who betrayed those forces in 1971 – the man who betrayed his comrades in arms, the man who betrayed his country.

      It's time to call a spade a spade. Kerry is a traitor. What he did was treason. Period. End of story.

      If what he did in 1971 – knowingly cooperating with the enemy, traveling to Paris to meet with its agents at least twice, taking instructions from them on what to do to undermine the U.S. cause in Vietnam – was not treason, then we might as well throw the word out of the English language. If we can't use it in this case, we simply can't use the word any more.

      America's mistake was not locking this guy up in the stockades in 1971 and throwing away the key. Now, we as a nation, are on the verge of paying the price.

      May God open America's eyes next Tuesday.

      Joseph Farah is founder, editor and chief executive officer of WND and a nationally syndicated radio talk-show host. He is also the founder of WND Books. In addition to his daily column in WND, he writes a nationally syndicated weekly column available to U.S. newspapers through Creators Syndicate.

       E-MAIL JOSEPH FARAH | GO TO JOSEPH FARAH'S ARCHIVE

      GO TO PAGE 1 | GO TO PAGE 2 | GO TO COMMENTARY

      SEARCH WND | CONTACT WND

      © 2004 WorldNetDaily.com, Inc.

      Contact WND  Co-Located at Fiber Internet Center

      John Kerry's Other Vietnam War
      Why would we trust this man to be our president?

      By Stephen John Morris

      John Kerry has fought this election campaign as a political moderate. Certainly his main foreign-policy advisers are moderate Democrats. But that campaign posture disguises his 34-year record in public life — which produced no legislative achievement, but featured a well- documented obsession with Vietnam and Cambodia that continues to the present day. Kerry made his four and a half months of service in Vietnam an electoral issue, but it's his 34 years of political activism on Vietnam and Cambodia that go to the heart of his political outlook and character.

       In 1970, while still a reserve officer in the U.S. Navy, Kerry undertook his own private meetings with the Vietnamese Communist delegations in Paris. He joined Vietnam Veterans Against the War, a radical-Left organization viewed favorably by Hanoi, membership of which was less than one half of one percent of the 2.8 million Americans who served in Vietnam.

      Kerry is remembered and reviled by many veterans for his 1971 speech before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, in which he accused American soldiers of committing widespread atrocities and war crimes. He specifically asserted that U.S. soldiers were not only carrying out the cruelest tortures, with full knowledge of their commanders at the highest level, but were also "murdering" 200,000 Vietnamese each year. Many of Kerry's sources — the witnesses at the Winter Soldier Investigation paid for by Jane Fonda — were later exposed as frauds who had never served in Vietnam. Kerry's blanket libel of American troops was in stark contrast with his silence over the well- documented record of atrocities by the Communists, which were a matter of policy.

      But what has been largely overlooked in Kerry's 1971 speech is that he also supported the Vietnamese Communist cause, mouthing every plank of their political platform as his own. He not only favored immediate unconditional withdrawal of American troops, and creation of a coalition government. He also denounced the then elected government of South Vietnam, where political opposition thrived, as the "Thieu-Ky-Khiem dictatorship." By contrast he referred to the North Vietnamese Communist dictatorship by its Orwellian official title of the Democratic Republic of Vietnam, and to Hanoi's southern apparatus as "the Provisional Government."

      Were Kerry's extremist views merely the misadventures of a war- embittered youth? Hardly.

      When Kerry joined the Senate in 1985 one of his early appointments as legislative assistant on foreign affairs was Gareth Porter — an academic with a long record of denying any evidence of major Communist atrocities in Indochina. Porter's 1976 book, Cambodia. Starvation and Revolution, denied that the Khmer Rouge holocaust was taking place. Of course Kerry himself had been conspicuously silent on postwar Khmer Rouge atrocities while they were happening.

      Kerry continued to support some of Hanoi's foreign-policy interests in the Senate, even at the expense of his often-stated preference for the U.N. In 1990, in a rare act of post-Cold War political unity, the U.N. Security Council approved a plan to end the war in Cambodia with a U.N. Temporary Administration of Cambodia to organize elections. Yet Kerry opposed it. Instead, he wanted the Vietnamese-installed ex- Khmer Rouge Hun Sen to organize elections.

      Kerry has been claiming credit for solving the problem of American POWs missing in Vietnam. This is false. Kerry had been determined for years to normalize relations with the government of Vietnam — ending trade sanctions and opening up diplomatic relations. The demands of families of Americans missing in action, that Hanoi account for the fate of their loved ones who were known to have been alive when captured, but who never returned, had for years prevented U.S. moves to normalization. So in 1992 Kerry chaired the Senate Select Committee on POWs and Missing in Action from the Vietnam War. Kerry set the bar very low: Instead of focusing on what the Communists could do to explain what had happened to their American prisoners, Kerry focused on whether there was evidence of any Americans still alive in Indochina. Lacking sufficient intelligence from U.S. intelligence services, Kerry and his committee members decided to travel to Vietnam, ostensibly to see for themselves if any Americans were being hidden in various places where live sightings were alleged. The Vietnamese Communists were asked to make sites accessible. So the American media were invited to join the intrepid senators, traveling the Vietnamese countryside looking for American prisoners. This political theater would have been comic had it not been so pathetic. Why, if the Vietnamese government were secretly holding American prisoners, would it allow them to be discovered by visiting senators? Over the years, when foreign visitors, including humanitarian organizations, inspected their political prisons, the Vietnamese Communists would always empty the cells of emaciated Vietnamese prisoners and fill them with healthy, happy prison guards in disguise. Naturally, on this occasion the Vietnamese played along. No live Americans were found. In December 1992 the Senate Committee concluded that there was no evidence of Americans still living in Indochina. The path to normalization seemed clear — until one stumbling block suddenly appeared.

      In the winter of 1992-93, while a fellow at Harvard University, I was researching the history of the Vietnam War in recently opened Soviet Communist Party archives in Moscow. By chance I discovered a secret Soviet military-intelligence document concerning American POWs once held in North Vietnam. The Russian-language document asserted that in September 1972 hundreds more American POWs than Hanoi had admitted to holding were being secretly held in North Vietnam. If true, this meant that hundreds of living American prisoners were never released at war's end. In February 1993 I contacted the Clinton administration, and met Deputy NSC Adviser Sandy Berger in Washington about this. In April I provided the document to the New York Times. The front-page Times story created enormous media and public interest. Senator Kerry appeared on ABC's Nightline with me to discuss the issue. But he was skeptical then and showed no further interest — until his public disparagement of the document's contents caused me to criticize him in the Boston media. Then Kerry suddenly took an interest, and phoned me, asking me to meet him in his Boston office on the weekend. There I told him, as I had told Sandy Berger in February, that this document was the tip of an iceberg. The ultimate fate of those missing Americans could be determined not from this document, but from other secret documents in other parts of the Russian archives to which I had not been given access. President Boris Yeltsin, eager for American assistance at the time, could give the U.S. access. I offered Kerry, as I had Berger, to help them in any way. Kerry said he would pursue the matter. But I never heard from him on this matter again. Kerry, it seems, only wanted to silence the source of a politically inconvenient controversy, which was impeding his political priority of normalization — not determine conclusively the fate of hundreds of missing American heroes.

      Ties with Vietnam were eventually normalized. And Kerry's support for the dictatorial regime — his apparent indifference to human rights in Indochina — continues to this day. Ever since the U.S. House of Representatives voted overwhelmingly in 2001 for Vietnam human-rights efforts, Kerry has bottled up this bill in his Senate committee, preventing it from reaching the floor for a vote.

      He has treated Cambodia with the same disdain. The non-Communists, whom the U.S. government had been aiding during the 1980s (in the face of Kerry's rabid opposition), won the 1993 U.N.-sponsored elections. But the Vietnamese-installed Communist ruler, Hun Sen, whose forces the U.N. had failed to disarm, refused to accept the result, and demanded a share of power. The Clinton administration and the U.N. caved in to his threats. Still not satisfied, in 1997 Hun Sen launched a bloody coup d'état to seize total power. Democratic opponents of the Communists were tortured to death in the most grisly manner. Yet Kerry still embraced the former Khmer Rouge commissar as Cambodia's legitimate ruler. Kerry's staff even blocked Sam Rainsy, the leader of Cambodia's terrorized democratic opposition, from testifying before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

      Is this the kind of person that the American people would want to have making judgments about the direction of U.S. foreign policy? How could he be relied upon to make wise judgments about dealing with North Korea — a nation in the process of acquiring a nuclear arsenal? North Korea is a totalitarian state that is related to the kinds of regimes with which John Kerry has shown such affinity over the years. North Korea's nuclear arsenal poses an immediate threat to Japan and South Korea, and it will soon have missile delivery systems capable of striking Los Angeles and San Francisco. And should the erratic tyrant Kim Jong-Il choose to proliferate nuclear weapons the way he has proliferated missiles, he could provide al Qaeda with the ability to devastate major American cities.

      John Kerry's sympathy for totalitarian states in the past has resulted in the slander of millions of American Vietnam veterans, not to mention the betrayal of hundreds of missing American POWs. If he is elected president, in dealing with more powerful and dangerous totalitarian enemies like North Korea, his flawed judgment and values could have devastating consequences for all the people of America, and the world.

       Stephen John Morris is a fellow at John Hopkins University's Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies in Washington, D.C. He is the author of "Why Vietnam Invaded Cambodia".

      ---