Kerry Non-Bounce

  • Keepshorse@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2004

      Monday, Aug. 2, 2004 12:12 p.m. EDT

      Frank Rich: Kerry Non-Bounce 'Meaningless'

      New York Timesman Frank Rich is assuring concerned Democrats that there's nothing to worry about just because George Bush got the post-convention bounce they hoped would go to John Kerry in the latest Gallup poll.

      "I think probably all of it's meaningless, anyway," Rich told radio host Don Imus on Monday. "There's no necessary correlation between the bounce after the convention and who wins in November historically." The one-time Times drama critic said that, in fact, the Dems show in Boston was "shockingly good."

      "There were some speakers who were damn good," Rich told the I-man, "including, I must say, your man Kerry."

      Rich wasn't quite so enthusiastic about Teresa "I'm not a Kerry" Heinz, who he said sounded "kinda weird."

      "I don't know what to make of her," the Timesman said.

      Imus, who has long backed the Massachusetts Democrat, sounded a bit embarrassed over his candidate's poor showing, telling Rich, "Let's not beat that to death - OK - my man Kerry."

      Monday, Aug. 2, 2004

      New York Times: Where's Kerry's 15-Point Bounce?

      You bet we saved a certain article from Thursday's New York Times, the one speculating on how much the Democrat convention would boost John Kerry.

      Some pundits had guesstimated a 6-point jump, but the Times quoted President Bush's pollster Matthew Dowd. He noted that "in the five races in the last 30 years in which a challenger went against a sitting president, the average convention bounce was in the neighborhood of 15 percentage points."

      Democrats, knowing that Kerry wouldn't get anything close to that, said the figure was twisted because Bill Clinton got a 16-point bounce when his "independent" stooge Ross Perot withdrew (temporarily) during the Democrat convention in 1992.

      The pro-Kerry paper then quoted Democrat chairman Terry McAuliffe as predicting the nominee would gain 8 to 10 percentage points in polls after Boston.

      How embarrassing, then, that the tedious non-event instead helped President Bush.