S.Africa: Mystery Cholera in Cape
- From: WWW.AfricanCrisis.Org
Johannesburg - Health departments in the Eastern Cape and North West
provinces were still investigating on Thursday the possible cause of
recent outbreaks of cholera.
Thirteen people died of the disease early in March in the rural Eastern
Cape, while at least nine people were still being treated in the North
North West health spokesperson Barba Gaoganediwe said water samples from
the Kanana township near Klerksdorp have been sent for testing. The
results of the tests were expected on Friday.
Meanwhile, one person was discharged from hospital after receiving
treatment on Wednesday.
At least eight others were still under "strict observation" in the
Klerksdorp hospital, he said. Of the nine original cases four have been
confirmed as cholera.
Eastern Cape health spokesperson Sizwe Kupelo said four people were
admitted to hospital with symptoms of cholera on Wednesday.
An outbreak earlier in March in a rural area between Kokstad and Umtata
claimed the lives of 13 people.
Kupelo said the community did not report the outbreak of the disease and
when the health department heard about it, 13 people had already died.
Rehydration centres, a mobile clinic, clean water and water purification
tanks were immediately deployed in the area and more than 100 people were
He said the outbreak was under control.
The provincial health department was still conducting an education
campaign in the area on hygiene.
Kupelo said there was not adequate water in the area and no sanitation.
He said the water affairs department was working on a "long-term
solution" to the lack of clean drinking water in the area.
Edited by Tisha Steyn