VIDEO: Highly Recommended for All Ages: Astronauts Describe The 'Overview Effect'

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2013

      From: Paul Andrew Mitchell, B.A., M.S.
      Sent: Sunday, January 6, 2013 3:09 PM
      Subject: VIDEO: Highly Recommended for All Ages: Astronauts Describe The 'Overview Effect'

      http://www.planetarycollective.com/overview/

      Released 7th December 2012

      At the end of 2011, we filmed a short documentary about astronauts’ experiences in space called OVERVIEW, due for release in the last quarter of 2012. The film is both a stand-alone short film and a prelude to CONTINUUM, introducing many of the key ideas expanded upon in the feature documentary.

      SYNOPSIS

      Astronauts who have seen the Earth from space have often described the ‘overview effect’ as an experience that has transformed their perspective of the planet and mankind’s place upon it, and enabled them to perceive it as our shared home, without boundaries between nations or species.
      OVERVIEW is a short film that will explore this perspective through interviews with astronauts who have experienced the overview effect. The film also features insights from commentators and thinkers on the wider implications and importance of this understanding for humanity as a whole, and especially its relevance to how we meet the tremendous challenges facing our planet at this time.

      FEATURING

      • • EDGAR MITCHELL – Apollo 14 astronaut and founder of the Institute of Noetic Sciences
      • • RON GARAN – ISS astronaut and founder of humanitarian organisation Fragile Oasis
      • • NICOLE STOTT – Shuttle and ISS astronaut and member of Fragile Oasis
      • • JEFF HOFFMAN – Shuttle astronaut and senior lecturer at MIT
      • • SHANE KIMBROUGH – Shuttle/ISS astronaut and Lieutenant Colonel in the US Army
      • • FRANK WHITE – space theorist and author of the book ‘The Overview Effect’
      • • DAVID LOY- philosopher and author
      • • DAVID BEAVER – philosopher and co-founder of The Overview Institute