Re: check computer for Mondays Malware infection

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2012

      From: Paul Andrew Mitchell
      Sent: Saturday, July 7, 2012 8:05 PM
      Subject: Re: check computer for Mondays Malware infection

      From what I already know, a number of computers worldwide
      have been infected with a stealth virus that routinely hacked the
      Domain Name Servers ("DNS").  These work just like a
      correspondence table, with domain names in one column
      and their corresponding Internet Protocol ("IP") numbers
      in another column.

      In Command Prompt aka DOS Window, try the PING command
      and use www.google.com as the argument, like this:

      C:\> ping www.google.com

      You'll see that the first thing it does is to find the corresponding
      IP number;  then, it sends a 32-byte "packet" to that address,
      which the target server will simply echo back, just like a sonar "ping".

      "One ping please!"
      said The Hunt for Red October's Captain,
      played by Sean Connery:

      http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099810/

      Once you know the IP number, you can also PING that IP directly.

      Now, when DNS servers are hijacked, they substitute
      a completely different correspondence table,
      which associates the WRONG IP with a certain
      group of domain names.

      So, instead of the IP that the PING command SHOULD
      associate with the domain google.com, a DIFFERENT IP
      is associated with that domain.

      From that point onwards, an Internet browser is
      retrieving files from a completely different server computer.

      (A similar problem would occur if a phony telephone book
      were published, and the telephone number associated
      with your name was, instead, the cell phone number for a
      heroin dealer in Afghanistan.)

      To identify and "trap" these false DNS servers,
      the FBI set up a batch of proxy servers that
      perform special handling of these wrong IP numbers.

      The FBI has announced their plans to shut down
      these proxy servers.

      So, BEST WAY is to contact your Internet service provider
      ("ISP") to request their advice, in light of these announced FBI plans.

      On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 7:43 PM, javeon99 wrote:

      When I first heard about this, I figured it was just some way for the
      FBI to be able to scan everyone's computer...search their files, you
      know...typical shady stuff.  So it is legit? I"m having a hard time
      trusting anything from any agencies anymore.

      Should I click the link????

      jb