President's NAVY UNIT COMMENDATION to the U.S.S. Bradford -- for outstanding heroism in action

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 17, 2011
    Subject: President's NAVY UNIT COMMENDATION to the U.S.S. Bradford
    -- for outstanding heroism in action

    http://www.destroyerhistory.org/fletcherclass/commendationdd545.html

    THE SECRETARY OF THE NAVY
    WASHINGTON

    The President of the United States takes pleasure in presenting the NAVY UNIT COMMENDATION to the

    U.S.S. BRADFORD

    for service as set forth in the following

    CITATION:

           “For outstanding heroism in action as a Fighter Direction ship on Radar Picket duty during the Okinawa Campaign, May 14 to June 16, 1945. A natural and frequent target of the heavy Japanese aerial attack while occupying advanced and isolated stations, the U.S.S. BRADFORD defeated all efforts of enemy Kamikaze and dive-bombing planes to destroy her. Vigilant and ready for battle, she sent out early air warnings, provided fighter direction and, with her own gunfire downed five hostile planes, routed many more and rendered valiant service in preventing the Japanese from striking in force the Naval Forces off the Okinawa beachhead. A gallant fighting ship, the BRADFORD, her officers and her men withstood the stress and perils of vital Radar Picket duty, achieving a distinctive combat record which attests the teamwork, courage and skill of her entire company and enhances the finest traditions of the United States Naval Service”

                /s/ James Forrestal
                Secretary of the Navy