Re: [oldright] Visit BREAKING ALL THE RULES http://batr.org First time post and DON'T know WHY I'm here!LOL

  • Steven Laib
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 16, 2003
      When I was young I was of the understanding that a reporter was supposed to be like Jack Webb's
      Joe Friday.  They were supposed to be interested in "the facts" passing them on to the public and
      leaving opinion and commentary to the editorial pages.  That changed somewhere along the way.

      I believe that the trend became significant during the 1950's and accelerated with the reportage of the
      Vietnam war and the civil rights movement.  One way or another the reporters ceased to be objective
      and began injecting themselves into the events.

      Now the press seems to think that it has the job of molding public opinion and telling people what to
      believe.  The public is either incapable or thinking for itself, or should not be allowed to do so for
      fear of what might happen if they had an uncontrolled thought.

      Steve Laib

      buddiebuddiee wrote:

      You are ALL intellectuals here with many Doctor/ed degrees ;) and
      some BSers here...no? ;)

      My MAJOR beef is with the MAINSTREAM MEDIA..

      What is the MAIN job of a reporter/journalist? Anyone here care to
      enlighten me?

      TIA

      Buddie

    • buddiebuddiee
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 16, 2003
        Steven...What you saying is that Media's role right now is to DUMB
        DOWN the peons. I also see that so-called journalists like CNN's
        Amanpour is trying to redeem herself in the eyes of the public now
        that Bush's War with Iraq is coming to light as being a fraud.

        Amanpour claims INTIMIDATION???HELLO???? A TRUE journalist -- they
        NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER ..EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER get
        intimidated by ANYONE and ESPECIALLY a MORON in the White House. She
        and others are JUST SALESPEOPLE and NOTHING more...Ok..ok...Besides
        being WHORES.

        Buddie

        --- In oldright@yahoogroups.com, Steven Laib <slaib@e...> wrote:
        > When I was young I was of the understanding that a reporter was
        supposed
        > to be like Jack Webb's
        > Joe Friday. They were supposed to be interested in "the facts"
        passing
        > them on to the public and
        > leaving opinion and commentary to the editorial pages. That
        changed
        > somewhere along the way.
        >
        > I believe that the trend became significant during the 1950's and
        > accelerated with the reportage of the
        > Vietnam war and the civil rights movement. One way or another the
        > reporters ceased to be objective
        > and began injecting themselves into the events.
        >
        > Now the press seems to think that it has the job of molding public
        > opinion and telling people what to
        > believe. The public is either incapable or thinking for itself, or
        > should not be allowed to do so for
        > fear of what might happen if they had an uncontrolled thought.
        >
        > Steve Laib
        >
        > buddiebuddiee wrote:
        >

        > > You are ALL intellectuals here with many Doctor/ed degrees ;) and
        > > some BSers here...no? ;)
        > >
        > > My MAJOR beef is with the MAINSTREAM MEDIA..
        > >
        > > What is the MAIN job of a reporter/journalist? Anyone here care to
        > > enlighten me?
        > >
        > > TIA
        > >
        > > Buddie
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.3897168.5135684.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
        05060375:HM/A=1706996/R=0/SIG=11p5b9ris/*http://www.ediets.com/start.c
        fm?code=30509&media=atkins>

        Service
        > > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
      • Steven Laib
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 16, 2003
          What I am saying is that the majority of the "mainstream" media have assumed the mantle
          of dumbing down the masses, or at least converting them to the "politically correct" way
          of looking at the world.

          Whether or not the Iraq war was or is a fraud is another matter entirely, and is a major
          opinion matter.  Reporters in that theater should not be discussing right or wrong.  They
          should deal with "just the facts."

          Did you hear what Laura Ingraham had to say about Amanpour?  BTW, I understand that
          Amanpour was subjected to an administrative reprimand by CNN for her comments.

          Steve Laib