Are Hispanics “Catholic”?

  • Thomas Jefferson
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2007
      Fwd: http://conservativetimes.org/?p=541

      Here’s an article that mentions the incorporation of
      “Afro-Brazilian rites” into the Roman Catholic liturgy
      in Brazil. In fact, this is a widespread phenomenon
      across all of Central and South America. Given that
      the vast majority of inhabitants in these places are
      Amerindian, mestizo, or African, they identify neither
      with Europe nor with European traditions.
      Parishioners, priests and bishops recently have
      demanded the expunging of “European elements” from
      their liturgy (which is occurring in the U.S. too),
      and want to replace them with various Amerindian
      elements (e.g. Aztlan) or African elements (as in
      Brazil) depending upon the backgrounds of the people.

      For the record, I don’t have a problem with the
      incorporation of indigenous elements. This, for
      example, is part of the beauty of Orthodox
      Christianity. It emphases the homogenous ethnicity of
      its various congregations while simultaneously
      worshiping universal elements of Christianity. This is
      much closer to the original Christian churches than
      those today plagued by liberal notions of
      multiculturalism, universal entitlement and globalist
      humanitarianism. But we should label this Hispanic
      trend for what it is, and it is not Western. It is
      part of their own unique history, and not a part of
      our, Western, tradition.

      And not only have many of these people been converting
      to Pentecostalism, which is more than happy to
      eradicate any European liturgical practices in favor
      of indigenous ones, but many of them have been
      converting to Islam. I don’t know the numbers for
      Central and South America, but for the past few years
      in the U.S. over 200,000 Hispanics have converted to
      Islam, and this phenomenon will continue.

      Regarding immigration, this should raise doubts about
      the prospects of “assimilation” of these people. I
      suspect that they will assimilate many Americans, but
      doubt the opposite will occur.

      /

      Best Conservative Publications

      Chronicles Magazine