Chuck Hagel: Liberal Globalist

  • Thomas Jefferson
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2007
      Fwd:

      Chuck Hagel: Liberal Globalist

      A couple weeks ago neoliberal Andrew Sullivan (who
      masquerades as a conservative aliquando), referencing
      two recent articles in the American Conservative,
      called Chuck Hagel the “great paleocon hope.” I take
      issue with this classification on a number of grounds.
      In no way, I think, is Hagel representative of
      paleoconservatives or the Old Right.

      First, Hagel is not a non-interventionist. He merely
      disagrees with the way the war has been implemented in
      Iraq.

      Second, Hagel’s position on immigration is better
      representative of the American Enterprise Institute
      than the Old Right, whose legacy included the
      Immigration Act of 1924, a tradition to which Hagel
      does not belong.

      Americans for Better Immigration gives Hagel a career
      grade of D-. On reducing chain migration, he receives
      an F-; on reducing unnecessary foreign workers, F-; on
      reducing amnesties, F-; and on reducing other
      enticements, F-. In short, he’s an embarrassment.

      On free trade, which is destroying our economy and
      sovereignty, he is giving a 92% by Cato, which
      indicates that he does not support an America First
      economic policy, thus putting him at odds with
      paleoconservatives.

      Neocons have made support of the war a litmus test for
      membership in any mainstream conservative
      organization. It seems that some of the opponents of
      the war have fallen into the same wrongheaded
      reasoning. Simple opposition to the implementation of
      the Iraq War, especially taken conjointly with other
      globalist positions, does not a paleocon make.

      http://conservativetimes.org/?p=469

      .

      Best Conservative Publications

      Chronicles Magazine