Re: Need More Advice - CD Burners

  • bktidwell
    Message 1 of 15491 , Jan 1, 2001
      Linda,<br> <br> In response to your
      questions:<br><br> There are many brands of CD burners but I tend to
      agree with other responses. I have two HP burners and
      have never had any problems with them. I have other HP
      equipment also, never a problem. I don't think your're just
      paying for the name, HP seems to make quality stuff. As
      for the numbers associated with CD burners. 8x4x32x
      would mean the burner writes CD-R disks at 8x speed,
      CD-RW (rewritable) at 4x speed and reads CDs at 32x
      (max) speed. You should be able to get one of the
      8x4x32x for $150 -$175 if you look around. I wouldn't buy
      one that starts with 2x unless it was really a good
      deal. They take about 40 minutes to burn a CD compared
      to about 8 minutes with a 8x. But if you have more
      time than money, it might be the way to go.<br><br>I
      would also use only CD-R blanks, the ones that can only
      be written once. They are less expensive and should
      last even your lifetime (75 to 100 years). CD-RW are
      slower to format and write and are not as
      reliable.<br><br>CD players come with the software to create CDs.
      Many come with Adaptec Easy Creator and Direct CD.
      Easy Creator is a program with creates either audio or
      data CDs through its own GUI. Direct CD allows you to
      format a CD to look just like a hard drive, allowing you
      to copy files to it using programs like Windows
      Explorer or even, heaven forbid, DOS command line. Direct
      CD is used mostly for data files not Audio. Audio
      format usually means normal music CDs (using the .WAV
      format). The is what is being referred to by the 74 or 80
      minute number. Originaly, all CD-Rs would hold 74
      minutes of .WAV audio or 650 Megabytes of data. New ones
      now can hold 80 minutes of audio, 700 Meg of data. To
      play a CD on a normal CD player, it must be burned in
      this format meaning only 2 1/2 hour programs can be
      written to a single CD (with room for a 15 minute Lum and
      Abner episode). When you write MP3 programs to the CD,
      they are considered data files not audio. You write
      them using the same Easy Creator program. You can get
      about 90 or more 1/2 hour programs on a single CD (45+
      hours). You can then listen to them through your computer
      using Winamp or one of the many other players
      available. CD Players that can play MP3 files are starting
      to appear but most have trouble with the encoding
      rate of OTR programs (32kps sample rate and 22MHz
      frequency). But you can re-encode OTR shows to match the
      minimum your player can handle but that's a whole
      different story (which I've had good success
      with).<br><br>In data mode, you can write any type of files to the
      CD, so all you e-mail, MS Docs, and anything else on
      your computer can be put on the CDs. I use mine on a
      regular basis to back up the data on my hard drive so I
      can restore in case of a hard drive crash or if I
      accidently delete files.<br><br>To sum it all up, it's not
      really all that hard once you get the hang of burning
      CDs. Really not much different than copying files. Oh,
      you'll make a few coasters (bad CDs) at first but after
      a while, it will be second nature with nary a
      coaster in sight.<br><br>Hope this helps. If you have any
      other questions, you can contact me directly at
      Message 15491 of 15491 , Oct 23, 2006