Collecting, cataloging etc

  • Throckmorton_P_Gildersleeve
    Message 1 of 15491 , Jan 7, 2000
      Howdy Pat (and everybody)-<br> Glad you enjoyed
      the Christmas special. I had a blast putting it
      together. It's good to see some activity on this board.
      own mp3s at my site <a href=http://wayback.net target=new>http://wayback.net</a> Look under
      "Other Good Stuff" and take a look at "How these shows
      are encoded". You may also want to check out the
      Technical Help Links page. That should give you some ideas
      on where to start.<br> I've been trading cds of mp3
      with a few people and have around 7000 shows, now. It
      runs to around 40 cds. To keep a running catalog I use
      a nifty program called ExPrint to print directories
      of my cds to a text file, then I copy and paste it
      into an Excel page. I have the Excel page set up so
      the cd number is in column one and the title info is
      in column two. I can sort by title or cd number and
      I can output a text file for folks who don't have
      Excel. If they then cut and paste together a want list,
      I can easily assemble it from my master cds. The
      only drawback to this approach is that to get the sort
      to work properly the files all need to be named in
      the same manner. I'm about 20 cds behind in renaming
      files!<br> There is also a freeware program called MyCat
      available that is a dos based database that is pretty
      useful for cataloging cassettes. Its biggest drawback is
      that you can't print to a text file and its data files
      aren't compatible with any other database programs.
      That's a big part of the reason I've switched to Excel.
      MyCat is available (I think) on Lou Genco's OTR
      site.<br> Sorry about the long post, hope the info is
      useful.<br> Mike
      Message 15491 of 15491 , Oct 23, 2006