An old film with a radio connection

  • vincente_ca
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 9, 2014

      I'd like to recommend an old (1937) film, one of those murder-mystery thrillers, but with a lot of action in and around a radio station. Not exactly intellectual fare, but the radio connection is kind of interesting. You can download it from youtube:

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqLK0EAAXcM

      It is only just over an hour long.  More infor about the film at imdb:

      http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0028360/

      Vince

    • Dean Sweatman
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 10, 2014
        have seen it. well worth watching
        Burb

        ------------------------------
        On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 9:41 PM CDT vincenteca@... [oldradioshowsonmp3] wrote:

        >I'd like to recommend an old (1937) film, one of those murder-mystery thrillers, but with a lot of action in and around a radio station. Not exactly intellectual fare, but the radio connection is kind of interesting. You can download it from youtube:
        > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqLK0EAAXcM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqLK0EAAXcM
        >
        > It is only just over an hour long. More infor about the film at imdb:
        > http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0028360/ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0028360/
        >

        > Vince
      • Dean Sweatman
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 10, 2014
          check the OTR/otr video section of

          for links to some other OTR related video on youtube

          Burb

          ------------------------------
          On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 9:41 PM CDT vincenteca@... [oldradioshowsonmp3] wrote:

          >I'd like to recommend an old (1937) film, one of those murder-mystery thrillers, but with a lot of action in and around a radio station. Not exactly intellectual fare, but the radio connection is kind of interesting. You can download it from youtube:
          > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqLK0EAAXcM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqLK0EAAXcM
          >
          > It is only just over an hour long. More infor about the film at imdb:
          > http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0028360/ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0028360/
          >

          > Vince
        • cjkell
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 26, 2014
            Has anyone seen the Kens Burns production 1991 Empire of The Air?
            I first caught this while surfing my Netflix account some months ago.

            It's gone now, but well worth watching if you can find another source.
            A true old time radio fans delight, with radio clips, and interesting
            history of the start of radio broadcasting.

            Regards,
            Clyde J. Kell
            Mystery Play Internet Radio
            www.mpir-otr.com
          • Vincente Tobias
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 27, 2014
              I couldn't find that Ken Burns production on youtube, but I did find this, the PBS 1972 90 minute presentation "The Great Radio Comedians":
              I'm downloading it right now. It promises to be a real goodie!
              Vince

              On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 2:35 PM, cjkell@... [oldradioshowsonmp3] <oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              Has anyone seen the Kens Burns production 1991 Empire of The Air?
              I first caught this while surfing my Netflix account some months ago.

              It's gone now, but well worth watching if you can find another source.
              A true old time radio fans delight, with radio clips, and interesting
              history of the start of radio broadcasting.

              Regards,
              Clyde J. Kell
              Mystery Play Internet Radio
              www.mpir-otr.com

            • Lonesome Lefty
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 27, 2014
                Wow, these both look great. I remember watching "Empire" when it first aired, but that was some time ago. If anyone here downloads from torrents, "Empire" can be found here:

                http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/4559757/Ken_Burns__America_-_Empire_of_the_Air_%281991%29

                On Fri, 6/27/14, Vincente Tobias vincenteca@... [oldradioshowsonmp3] <oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                Subject: Re: [OTRMP3] Re: An old film with a radio connection
                To: "oldradioshowsonmp3" <oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com>

                Comedians":https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrJNcGBZZkM

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 27, 2014
                  Yep, I got my copy from a torrent. I think I've watched it 10 times or more. It's so informative, and thrilling
                  to see and hear the roots of radio.

                  Regards,
                  Clyde J. Kell
                  Mystery Play Internet Radio
                  http://www.mpir-otr.com
                • cjkell
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 27, 2014
                    Hey Vince,
                    Thanks for the link to that movie. It's outstanding, and I have posted on
                    my website http://mpir-otr.com/beans/   Plus several other great old movies
                    found on YouTube.

                    Regards,
                    Clyde J. Kell
                    Mystery Play Internet Radio
                    http://www.mpir-otr.com

                  • Joe Desimone
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 27, 2014

                      There is an accompanying book that covers the topic in far greater detail than the PBS documentary ever could. Fascinating read. Unfortunately it’s out of print but there are used copies available if you do a web search.

                      ·                                 ISBN-10: 0060981199

                      ·                                 ISBN-13: 978-0060981198

                      Joe Desimone