[OTRMP3] Re: CD's or Flash Drive

  • sipseywilderness
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 15, 2013
      Lots of junk media out there....see the link below...

      For the last few years I've used Taiyo Yuden and nothing else since they are the only ones left who don't contract out to various other cheap manufactorers....and only TY Preminum line Archival series....not bad prices at 28 to 32 buck per 100 at Supermedia store.

      http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

      To each their own I guess...would never store online for archival purposes....too many have lost too much doing it that way....at least in the past..things maybe better now...don't know but I'd never go that route.

      best
      Rick

      --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, freecycle matthew <freecycle.matthew@...> wrote:

      > My experience with CD's and DVD's VS USB flash drives has been the exact
      > reverse. I find that with the data density on DVD's that they are
      > extremely sensitive even in a home environment, no less in a car. Both
      > CD's and DVD's are not up to what you can keep in a car for a long term, at
      > least here in central NY where I live. I have even had CD's literally come
      > apart. Between the bitter cold in the winter and the heat of the summer
      > and the humidity. Over the years I have had exactly one flash drive fail,
      > and that one was a freebie Microsoft gave me at a trade show. I physically
      > lost a couple of them, but back when I used CD's I used to loose them on
      > occasion as well. A USB stick you find jammed between the seats seems to
      > work OK a year later when you clean it off. A CD that is all gashed up
      > does not work so good.
      >
      > Outside of the media there is also the larger, and more expensive question
      > of the player. The CD or DVD drive in your car stereo is a complicated
      > beast. I know mine does not like the wicked cold, I know it does not like
      > it when it is real humid. On the flip side, the interface for the USB
      > stick is a few conductors. Much simpler. Zero moving parts. Mine works
      > great in any weather. And no wear and tear on the optical drive.
      >
      > The last thing is archival storage. I would not use USB sticks nor optical
      > disks for archival storage. I keep my archives a few ways. One is the
      > stuff I really would miss I keep locally on at least two USB hard drives.
      > So i fone dies I have it on at least one other. My main server also has a
      > RAID disk array that will tolerate one hard drive failing. I also keep
      > some of my stuff backed up "to the cloud". I also have been free in giving
      > my collection away so it is replicated in other physical locations. If I
      > ever really needed to I could ask one of the folks I gave it to for a copy
      > of it back. Sharing is really good for everybody.
      >
      > The stuff I keep the USB sticks are the "working copies" I am listening to
      > and not my archival copies. With my music collection I keep the original
      > copies in a lossless format and either play them nativity in that format at
      > home, or zap them into an appropriate bitrate MP3 format for my mobile
      > devices. I find in the car with the engine and road noise, my ham radio
      > yammering on in the background I don't really need "hi fi" copies.
      >
      > As always, your mileage may vary..
      >
      > --Matthew
      >

      > On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 10:39 PM, sipseywilderness <
      > sipseywilderness@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > I've had 3 of 6 flash drives to fail within 3 years....but have dvds that
      > > are about 10 yrs old and still ok.....guess it depends on how long you wish
      > > to store things. You can fit a lot of mp3s on a dvd and then put them on a
      > > flash to listen to if you wish. Just depends on if you are a listener or a
      > > listener and collector or not I guess.
      > >
      > > Rick

> [...]
    • Robert M. Bratcher Jr.