Re: [OTRMP3] Re: CD's or Flash Drive

  • freecycle matthew
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 15, 2013
      My experience with CD's and DVD's VS USB flash drives has been the exact reverse.  I find that with the data density on DVD's that they are extremely sensitive even in a home environment, no less in a car.  Both CD's and DVD's are not up to what you can keep in a car for a long term, at least here in central NY where I live.  I have even had CD's literally come apart.  Between the bitter cold in the winter and the heat of the summer and the humidity.  Over the years I have had exactly one flash drive fail, and that one was a freebie Microsoft gave me at a trade show.  I physically lost a couple of them, but back when I used CD's I used to loose them on occasion as well.  A USB stick you find jammed between the seats seems to work OK a year later when you clean it off.  A CD that is all gashed up does not work so good.

      Outside of the media there is also the larger, and more expensive question of the player.  The CD or DVD drive in your car stereo is a complicated beast.  I know mine does not like the wicked cold, I know it does not like it when it is real humid.  On the flip side, the interface for the USB stick is a few conductors.  Much simpler.  Zero moving parts.  Mine works great in any weather.  And no wear and tear on the optical drive.

      The last thing is archival storage.  I would not use USB sticks nor optical disks for archival storage.  I keep my archives a few ways.  One is the stuff I really would miss I keep locally on at least two USB hard drives.  So i fone dies I have it on at least one other.  My main server also has a RAID disk array that will tolerate one hard drive failing.  I also keep some of my stuff backed up "to the cloud".  I also have been free in giving my collection away so it is replicated in other physical locations.  If I ever really needed to I could ask one of the folks I gave it to for a copy of it back.  Sharing is really good for everybody.

      The stuff I keep the USB sticks are the "working copies" I am listening to and not my archival copies.  With my music collection I keep the original copies in a lossless format and either play them nativity in that format at home, or zap them into an appropriate bitrate MP3 format for my mobile devices.  I find in the car with the engine and road noise, my ham radio yammering on in the background I don't really need "hi fi" copies.

      As always, your mileage may vary..

      --Matthew

      On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 10:39 PM, sipseywilderness <sipseywilderness@...> wrote:

      I've had 3 of 6 flash drives to fail within 3 years....but have dvds that are about 10 yrs old and still ok.....guess it depends on how long you wish to store things. You can fit a lot of mp3s on a dvd and then put them on a flash to listen to if you wish. Just depends on if you are a listener or a listener and collector or not I guess.

      Rick

      --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <professorgriffith@...> wrote:

      > At present I download the shows onto my computer then burn them to a CD. Each CD fits only 80 minutes, and I go through about 3 a day as I drive for work.
      >
      > I do have a 16gb flash drive to store the shows on, but I have yet to even open it. I think the brand is Scandisk.
      >
      > I'm slow to adapt. :-)

    • singjai108
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 15, 2013
        Good question. I favor a USB drive as keeping track of CDs has become more trouble the more I have.

        Now I download and listen to OTR on my smartphone, save the files on my pc, and back them up "in the cloud," with Drop Box. I use the flash drive as physical transport to use devices not in my network.

        Mike

        --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "ab.wildrose" <Diana03@...> wrote:

        > I was going to burn some of the old time radio shows on to CD's, to listen to it on my CD player, but my cousin suggested that I save it to a flash drive to save the shows and just download or is it uploaded the shows to my Sony Walkman Player, and change the shows as I want.
        > Which would you do? Burn the shows to CD or save to a Flash Drive? (and if so which one). I have never used a flash drive so this is so new to me.
        > Thanks for your ideas,
        > Diana

      • sipseywilderness
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 15, 2013
          Lots of junk media out there....see the link below...

          For the last few years I've used Taiyo Yuden and nothing else since they are the only ones left who don't contract out to various other cheap manufactorers....and only TY Preminum line Archival series....not bad prices at 28 to 32 buck per 100 at Supermedia store.

          http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

          To each their own I guess...would never store online for archival purposes....too many have lost too much doing it that way....at least in the past..things maybe better now...don't know but I'd never go that route.

          best
          Rick

          --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, freecycle matthew <freecycle.matthew@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > sipseywilderness@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > I've had 3 of 6 flash drives to fail within 3 years....but have dvds that
          > > are about 10 yrs old and still ok.....guess it depends on how long you wish
          > > to store things. You can fit a lot of mp3s on a dvd and then put them on a
          > > flash to listen to if you wish. Just depends on if you are a listener or a
          > > listener and collector or not I guess.
          > >
          > > Rick
          > >
          > > --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <professorgriffith@>
          > > wrote:
          > > >

          > > > At present I download the shows onto my computer then burn them to a CD.
          > > Each CD fits only 80 minutes, and I go through about 3 a day as I drive for
          > > work.
          > > >
          > > > I do have a 16gb flash drive to store the shows on, but I have yet to
          > > even open it. I think the brand is Scandisk.

        • Robert M. Bratcher Jr.
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 16, 2013
            I've been buying MCC mid code Verbatim (not the life series) at Microcenter while the supply lasts although Tayio Yuden bought online is also very good. Prodisc seems to be good media too. Got some Ritek (don't remember if it was F1 or F16 mid code) in a distro from a distro in a different group I belong to which was unreadable halfway though each disc so I sent Verbatim discs to the fellow & he sent them back burned with the distro & they all 3 copied fine. I haven't bought Ritek myself in about 3 years & don't buy it at all now. I forget which brand names they are but CMC mid code discs seem to be ok in my experience although I prefer MCC Verbatim & Tayio Yuden media as those are the best discs out there. I don't burn many DVD's anymore ecxept for distro's. Everything else is stored on 3 terrabyte external usb hard drives......