Re: [OTRMP3] CD's or Flash Drive

  • Robert M. Bratcher Jr.
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 11, 2013
      Well if your car stereo has a USB connection on it then I'd opt for the flash drive of whatever size you want. Just load the shows on your drive & plug it into the car stereo!! Another way is to burn a rewritable CD (CDRW) then just erase & reburn that CDRW for new shows as you need to then use that in the car stereo. Flash frives are easy, just plug it into the USB slot on your computer then copy the mp3 files to it.

      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 11, 2013
        If you have a Microcenter computer store near you (if not then just order on the wed) like I do in Houston then the 4GB Microcenter house brand USB thumb drive is only $3.99 + tax or shipping. They don't have house brand 2GB drives though anymore although I have one thats about a year old which still works. Here is the link & you can choose a store near the top of the page to see if a Microcenter is near you.

        Just checked & the house brand 2GB thumb drives are no longer available......

        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 14, 2013
          At present I download the shows onto my computer then burn them to a CD. Each CD fits only 80 minutes, and I go through about 3 a day as I drive for work.

          I do have a 16gb flash drive to store the shows on, but I have yet to even open it. I think the brand is Scandisk.

          I'm slow to adapt. :-)
        • Michael
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 14, 2013
            --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "Robert M. Bratcher Jr." <rbratcherjr@...> wrote:

            > Well if your car stereo has a USB connection on it then I'd opt for the flash drive of whatever size you want. Just load the shows on your drive & plug it into the car stereo!! Another way is to burn a rewritable CD (CDRW) then just erase & reburn that CDRW for new shows as you need to then use that in the car stereo. Flash frives are easy, just plug it into the USB slot on your computer then copy the mp3 files to it.

            I must be doing something wrong with the read/write CDs; whenever I use one, it does not later let me erase content or add new content. It (or my computer) acts as if I only used a normal CD.
          • Robert M. Bratcher Jr.
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 14, 2013
              I used to burn audio CD's too but then I switched to a usb thumb drive one day & never burned audio CD's for the truck stereo again.....

              At present I download the shows onto my computer then burn them to a CD. Each CD fits only 80 minutes, and I go through about 3 a day as I drive for work.

              I do have a 16gb flash drive to store the shows on, but I have yet to even open it. I think the brand is Scandisk.

              I'm slow to adapt. :-)
            • Chester Cannon
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 14, 2013
                others may be different, but my factory mp3 in dash cd player will not play re-writables... my truck radio has the mp3 jack on it and if this is available it is by far the best way to go. Also if you don't mind waiting for 3-4 weeks you can buy an fm transmitter with usb jack for around $10 on ebay. I have one and was amazed at how good it sounds. Even came with a remote control.

                If you put the cd/rw in your computer and right click on it in windows explorer do you get a format or erase option?

                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 14, 2013
                  --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, Chester Cannon <chestercannon@...> wrote:

                  > If you put the cd/rw in your computer and right click on it in windows explorer do you get a format or erase option?

                  I'll have to try and see.
                • sipseywilderness
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 14, 2013
                    I agree completely.

                    Rick

                    --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, Joe Mackey <joemackey108@...> wrote:

                    > Diana asked --
                    >
                    > > listen to it on my CD player, but my cousin suggested that I save it to
                    > > a flash drive to save the shows and just download or is it uploaded the
                    > > shows to my Sony Walkman Player, and change the shows as I want.
                    > > Which would you do? Burn the shows to CD or save to a Flash Drive? (and
                    > > if so which one). I have never used a flash drive so this is so new to me.
                    > > Thanks for your ideas,
                    >

                    > Well, my personal opinion is burning to a CD.
                    > Its too easy to lose/break a flash drive. And things can go wrong
                    > with them.
                    > If its only for temporary storage a flash would be ok, but not long term.
                    > Joe

                  • sipseywilderness
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 14, 2013
                      I've had 3 of 6 flash drives to fail within 3 years....but have dvds that are about 10 yrs old and still ok.....guess it depends on how long you wish to store things. You can fit a lot of mp3s on a dvd and then put them on a flash to listen to if you wish. Just depends on if you are a listener or a listener and collector or not I guess.

                      Rick
                      --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <professorgriffith@...> wrote:

                      > At present I download the shows onto my computer then burn them to a CD. Each CD fits only 80 minutes, and I go through about 3 a day as I drive for work.
                      >
                      > I do have a 16gb flash drive to store the shows on, but I have yet to even open it. I think the brand is Scandisk.
                      >
                      > I'm slow to adapt. :-)

                    • ac9ts
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 15, 2013
                        If you have a newer car radio, it may have the capability to play MP3 CDs as well as audio CDs. Try burning a CD as "Data" and store some MP3 files on it. Put some at the root and try putting some in a folder. Usually, 1 level (i.e. Root and 1 directory level but multiple directories) is allowed.

                        Personally, I use a thumb drive. I have a place to plug it in on my dash and the contents are displayed and played through the stereo. I keep the "masters" on hard drives and DVDs and just copy a 100 or so OTR files to the flash drive (along with music, podcasts, etc.) for the car. When I finish them, a quick erase and re-fill.

                        Tom

                        --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <professorgriffith@...> wrote:

                        > At present I download the shows onto my computer then burn them to a CD. Each CD fits only 80 minutes, and I go through about 3 a day as I drive for work.
                        >
                        > I do have a 16gb flash drive to store the shows on, but I have yet to even open it. I think the brand is Scandisk.
                        >
                        > I'm slow to adapt. :-)

                      • freecycle matthew
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 15, 2013
                          My experience with CD's and DVD's VS USB flash drives has been the exact reverse.  I find that with the data density on DVD's that they are extremely sensitive even in a home environment, no less in a car.  Both CD's and DVD's are not up to what you can keep in a car for a long term, at least here in central NY where I live.  I have even had CD's literally come apart.  Between the bitter cold in the winter and the heat of the summer and the humidity.  Over the years I have had exactly one flash drive fail, and that one was a freebie Microsoft gave me at a trade show.  I physically lost a couple of them, but back when I used CD's I used to loose them on occasion as well.  A USB stick you find jammed between the seats seems to work OK a year later when you clean it off.  A CD that is all gashed up does not work so good.

                          Outside of the media there is also the larger, and more expensive question of the player.  The CD or DVD drive in your car stereo is a complicated beast.  I know mine does not like the wicked cold, I know it does not like it when it is real humid.  On the flip side, the interface for the USB stick is a few conductors.  Much simpler.  Zero moving parts.  Mine works great in any weather.  And no wear and tear on the optical drive.

                          The last thing is archival storage.  I would not use USB sticks nor optical disks for archival storage.  I keep my archives a few ways.  One is the stuff I really would miss I keep locally on at least two USB hard drives.  So i fone dies I have it on at least one other.  My main server also has a RAID disk array that will tolerate one hard drive failing.  I also keep some of my stuff backed up "to the cloud".  I also have been free in giving my collection away so it is replicated in other physical locations.  If I ever really needed to I could ask one of the folks I gave it to for a copy of it back.  Sharing is really good for everybody.

                          The stuff I keep the USB sticks are the "working copies" I am listening to and not my archival copies.  With my music collection I keep the original copies in a lossless format and either play them nativity in that format at home, or zap them into an appropriate bitrate MP3 format for my mobile devices.  I find in the car with the engine and road noise, my ham radio yammering on in the background I don't really need "hi fi" copies.

                          As always, your mileage may vary..

                          --Matthew

                          On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 10:39 PM, sipseywilderness <sipseywilderness@...> wrote:

                          I've had 3 of 6 flash drives to fail within 3 years....but have dvds that are about 10 yrs old and still ok.....guess it depends on how long you wish to store things. You can fit a lot of mp3s on a dvd and then put them on a flash to listen to if you wish. Just depends on if you are a listener or a listener and collector or not I guess.

                          Rick

                          --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <professorgriffith@...> wrote:

                          > At present I download the shows onto my computer then burn them to a CD. Each CD fits only 80 minutes, and I go through about 3 a day as I drive for work.
                          >
                          > I do have a 16gb flash drive to store the shows on, but I have yet to even open it. I think the brand is Scandisk.
                          >
                          > I'm slow to adapt. :-)

                        • singjai108
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 15, 2013
                            Good question. I favor a USB drive as keeping track of CDs has become more trouble the more I have.

                            Now I download and listen to OTR on my smartphone, save the files on my pc, and back them up "in the cloud," with Drop Box. I use the flash drive as physical transport to use devices not in my network.

                            Mike

                            --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "ab.wildrose" <Diana03@...> wrote:

                            > I was going to burn some of the old time radio shows on to CD's, to listen to it on my CD player, but my cousin suggested that I save it to a flash drive to save the shows and just download or is it uploaded the shows to my Sony Walkman Player, and change the shows as I want.
                            > Which would you do? Burn the shows to CD or save to a Flash Drive? (and if so which one). I have never used a flash drive so this is so new to me.
                            > Thanks for your ideas,
                            > Diana

                          • sipseywilderness
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 15, 2013
                              Lots of junk media out there....see the link below...

                              For the last few years I've used Taiyo Yuden and nothing else since they are the only ones left who don't contract out to various other cheap manufactorers....and only TY Preminum line Archival series....not bad prices at 28 to 32 buck per 100 at Supermedia store.

                              http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

                              To each their own I guess...would never store online for archival purposes....too many have lost too much doing it that way....at least in the past..things maybe better now...don't know but I'd never go that route.

                              best
                              Rick

                              --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, freecycle matthew <freecycle.matthew@...> wrote:

> [...]
                              > sipseywilderness@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > **
                              > >

                              > > I've had 3 of 6 flash drives to fail within 3 years....but have dvds that
                              > > are about 10 yrs old and still ok.....guess it depends on how long you wish
                              > > to store things. You can fit a lot of mp3s on a dvd and then put them on a
                              > > flash to listen to if you wish. Just depends on if you are a listener or a
                              > > listener and collector or not I guess.
                              > >
                              > > Rick
                              > >
                              > > --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <professorgriffith@>
                              > > wrote:
                              > > >

                              > > > At present I download the shows onto my computer then burn them to a CD.
                              > > Each CD fits only 80 minutes, and I go through about 3 a day as I drive for
                              > > work.
                              > > >
                              > > > I do have a 16gb flash drive to store the shows on, but I have yet to
                              > > even open it. I think the brand is Scandisk.

                            • Robert M. Bratcher Jr.