Those chimes on Suspense

  • vincente_ca
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 11, 2013
      Our cyber pal Byron discovered that those chimes on "Suspense" were imitated in the 1970 song by Chicago "Color My World."
      Was this a conscious stealing and they thought no one would ever notice, or was it a chance occurence? You decide.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq4nwGArRDc

      Byron, by the way, is listening to all the "Suspense" programs in reverse order. He is now at #930 from June 17,1962 "Lunatic Hour." It was always my ambition to listen to all those shows, but somehow have never managed it. I wonder if anyone else has acheived this?
      Vince
    • Phillip Pearson
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 11, 2013
        I'll have to listen to his when I get home

        I'm still convinced that George Of The Jungle ripped off Nightbeat's theme song.

        Phil

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 12, 2013
          Vince wrote --

          > Our cyber pal Byron discovered that those chimes on "Suspense" were
          > imitated in the 1970 song by Chicago "Color My World."

          LOL, I had never noticed that before. But it sure does.

          > Was this a conscious stealing and they thought no one would ever notice,
          > or was it a chance occurence? You decide.

          Good question. Does make one wonder.
          Let's see, 1970 I was 20, not much younger than the song writer I
          imagine. I didn't really know much about OTR at the time. I knew the
          shows were done live and therefore were lost in the ether. (I had no
          idea so many shows had been saved but finding OTR was difficult for the
          average person.) Its possible the song writer had heard the chimes and
          that got stuck in their head and came out in the song.
          Then again, who knows?
          Joe
        • Michael
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 14, 2013
            I love the theme to Suspense. There are several versions, but I like the spookier, sparse one, with just the climes, oboe, and harp best.

            I've only listened to maybe 100 episodes - most are great, a few are not really to my liking, but it's that way with all things.