Want to put together a playlist for Sat., July 10, 1954

  • Benjamin
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 4, 2012
      Sorry, I am apologizing in advance because I ramble but:

      Every year we celebrate our anniversary as a family and every year I try to do something especially memorable for my wife. On our twelfth anniversary she got 12 dozen roses and cried for days. Crying is the only way I can tell if I did well or not.

      That year — and only that year — did I do good.

      I could tell you about The Year of the Vacuum. She was not pleased. It was a Dysan; how could I have gone wrong? Not pleased. I could have spent half as much on costume jewelry and she'd have been happier.

      One year she was looking all over for Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds with the stretchy exercise thingies. Yes, I did. She was not a fan. Not at all.

      We stayed married.

      Let's just leave it at she was not a fan.

      There was one year early on she got music books: The Great American Songbook, Beatles songbook, etc. Do you know what instrument she plays? She doesn't but she loves to sing. She often doesn't know the words so this was a brilliant gift except it wasn't.

      It was still better than The Year of The Cookbooks.

      We both really enjoy OTR and I thought of compiling shows the day she was born. I know it's risky but don't need to be talked out of it. What I need is help knowing which shows were on in those days on Saturdays. On the same network would be great but there are going to be some I won't be able to track down so "cross-network" programming is okay.

      I'd like to start as early in the day as possible. I was born just a few months after she was so don't really remember these shows from when they were originally broadcast. I imagine there were kid's shows in the morning but weren't they often local?

      Any help you can give will be most welcome. I guess I am open to better ideas if you've got them. It won't be the only gift she gets if that helps.

      Thanks so much,

      Ben Karlin
      St Louis, MO

      PS: I know I enjoy OTR more than she does. I guess this will show me how much more, won't it? Oh, and anniversary isn't until Feb so I've got some time to put this together, figure out not to do it, and buy a diamond ring instead. No, I'm determined! Life on the edge; how exciting!
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 5, 2012
        http://www.jjonz.us/RadioLogs/pagesnfiles/logs_files/1950s/1954/54_07Jul/%5bn]54-07-10-(Sat).pdf

        http://www.jjonz.us/RadioLogs/pagesnfiles/logs_files/1950s/1954/54_07Jul/%5bc]54-07-10-(Sat).pdf

        http://www.jjonz.us/RadioLogs/pagesnfiles/logs_files/1950s/1954/54_07Jul/%5bL]54-07-10-(Sat).pdf

        http://www.jjonz.us/RadioLogs/pagesnfiles/logs_files/1950s/1954/54_07Jul/%5bw]54-07-10-(Sat).pdf

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 5, 2012
          By the way, It's a cool idea, but I'm thinking this won't generate any tears.. Maybe an "oh." :-)

          --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, old_radios <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > http://www.jjonz.us/RadioLogs/pagesnfiles/logs_files/1950s/1954/54_07Jul/%5bn]54-07-10-(Sat).pdf
          >
          > http://www.jjonz.us/RadioLogs/pagesnfiles/logs_files/1950s/1954/54_07Jul/%5bc]54-07-10-(Sat).pdf
          >
          > http://www.jjonz.us/RadioLogs/pagesnfiles/logs_files/1950s/1954/54_07Jul/%5bL]54-07-10-(Sat).pdf
          >
          > http://www.jjonz.us/RadioLogs/pagesnfiles/logs_files/1950s/1954/54_07Jul/%5bw]54-07-10-(Sat).pdf
          >

          > --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "Benjamin" <Just_plain_Ben@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Sorry, I am apologizing in advance because I ramble but:
          > >
          > > Every year we celebrate our anniversary as a family and every year I try to do something especially memorable for my wife. On our twelfth anniversary she got 12 dozen roses and cried for days. Crying is the only way I can tell if I did well or not.
          > >
          > > That year — and only that year — did I do good.
          > >
          > > I could tell you about The Year of the Vacuum. She was not pleased. It was a Dysan; how could I have gone wrong? Not pleased. I could have spent half as much on costume jewelry and she'd have been happier.
          > >
          > > One year she was looking all over for Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds with the stretchy exercise thingies. Yes, I did. She was not a fan. Not at all.
          > >
          > > We stayed married.
          > >
          > > Let's just leave it at she was not a fan.
          > >
          > > There was one year early on she got music books: The Great American Songbook, Beatles songbook, etc. Do you know what instrument she plays? She doesn't but she loves to sing. She often doesn't know the words so this was a brilliant gift except it wasn't.
          > >
          > > It was still better than The Year of The Cookbooks.
          > >
          > > We both really enjoy OTR and I thought of compiling shows the day she was born. I know it's risky but don't need to be talked out of it. What I need is help knowing which shows were on in those days on Saturdays. On the same network would be great but there are going to be some I won't be able to track down so "cross-network" programming is okay.
          > >
          > > I'd like to start as early in the day as possible. I was born just a few months after she was so don't really remember these shows from when they were originally broadcast. I imagine there were kid's shows in the morning but weren't they often local?
          > >
          > > Any help you can give will be most welcome. I guess I am open to better ideas if you've got them. It won't be the only gift she gets if that helps.
          > >
          > > Thanks so much,
          > >
          > > Ben Karlin
          > > St Louis, MO
          > >
          > > PS: I know I enjoy OTR more than she does. I guess this will show me how much more, won't it? Oh, and anniversary isn't until Feb so I've got some time to put this together, figure out not to do it, and buy a diamond ring instead. No, I'm determined! Life on the edge; how exciting!

        • Ben Karlin
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 7, 2012
            I am a little comcerned that it is going to make her feel like a relic. That is not usually a good idea, sort of like getting a pair of sweatpants with "do these make my butt look big?" across the back.

            It might end up that I put together for MY birthdate and pretend it came from my son...

            At some point I described it as "a mixtape" to my daughter. That was when I had my first misgivings.

            But your collection of logs is completely amazing to me. Thanks so much.

            Ben

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 8, 2012
              Hey Ben,

              It is a cool idea regardless!. By the way, I only linked to a page with the logs, not my work, though someone did a great job scanning these in and putting together the web site.

              Take care, Pat

              --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, Ben Karlin <Just_plain_Ben@...> wrote:

              > I am a little comcerned that it is going to make her feel like a relic. That is not usually a good idea, sort of like getting a pair of sweatpants with "do these make my butt look big?" across the back.
              >
              > It might end up that I put together for MY birthdate and pretend it came from my son...
              >
              > At some point I described it as "a mixtape" to my daughter. That was when I had my first misgivings.
              >
              > But your collection of logs is completely amazing to me. Thanks so much.
              >
              > Ben
              >
              > > To: oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com
              > > From: no_reply@yahoogroups.com
              > > Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 21:17:55 +0000
              > > Subject: [OTRMP3] Re: Want to put together a playlist for Sat., July 10, 1954
              > >

              > > By the way, It's a cool idea, but I'm thinking this won't generate any tears.. Maybe an "oh." :-)
              > >

              > > --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, old_radios <no_reply@> wrote:
              > > >

              > > > http://www.jjonz.us/RadioLogs/pagesnfiles/logs_files/1950s/1954/54_07Jul/%5bn]54-07-10-(Sat).pdf
              > > >
              > > > http://www.jjonz.us/RadioLogs/pagesnfiles/logs_files/1950s/1954/54_07Jul/%5bc]54-07-10-(Sat).pdf
              > > >
              > > > http://www.jjonz.us/RadioLogs/pagesnfiles/logs_files/1950s/1954/54_07Jul/%5bL]54-07-10-(Sat).pdf
              > > >
              > > > http://www.jjonz.us/RadioLogs/pagesnfiles/logs_files/1950s/1954/54_07Jul/%5bw]54-07-10-(Sat).pdf

            • Jim B
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 20, 2012
                According to OTTER, there are four shows available that aired on July 10, 1954. They are -
                Escape - The Birds (CBS)
                Nightwatch - Hammer 211 (CBS)
                Romance - Cordoba (CBS)
                Space Patrol - Trial by Terror (ABC)
                Hope this helps.
                jimb
              • Jim B
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 20, 2012
                  Jim Jones and Ben Kibler scanned and created the website with the assistance of The Old Time Radio Researchers group.
                  jimb