Re: [OTRMP3] Question on Jack Benny Joke

  • Vincente Tobias
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 27, 2012
      I'm digging all these letter definitions, brings back memories (and not all that pleasant either).  My favourite one is FTA, and if you don't understand that one, you haven't been in the army! LOL
      Vince

      On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 4:25 PM, Joe Mackey <joemackey108@...> wrote:

      Tom A asked --

      > The M-P makes you K-P on the Q-T

      MP is Military Police and KP is Kitchen Police (such as peeling
      potatoes and so other menial duties) and QT is Quick Time.
      IOW the MP will have you peeling potatoes real quick. :)
      KP was a form of punishment, such as Community Service is in some
      civilians areas.
      Joe

      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 28, 2012
        Hi Vince,

        I was not in the service, I can kinda guess what the "F" stands for, but TA?

        pat

        --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, Vincente Tobias <vincenteca@...> wrote:

        > I'm digging all these letter definitions, brings back memories (and not all
        > that pleasant either). My favourite one is FTA, and if you don't
        > understand that one, you haven't been in the army! LOL
        > Vince
        >
        > On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 4:25 PM, Joe Mackey <joemackey108@...>wrote:
        >

        > > Tom A asked --
        > >

        > > > The M-P makes you K-P on the Q-T
        > >
        > > MP is Military Police and KP is Kitchen Police (such as peeling
        > > potatoes and so other menial duties) and QT is Quick Time.
        > > IOW the MP will have you peeling potatoes real quick. :)
        > > KP was a form of punishment, such as Community Service is in some
        > > civilians areas.
        > > Joe

      • Vincente Tobias
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 28, 2012
          ....the ARMY!!!!
          Vince

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 28, 2012
            I understand SIR!

            --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, Vincente Tobias <vincenteca@...> wrote:

            > ....the ARMY!!!![?]
            > Vince
            >
            > On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 9:10 AM, old_radios <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>wrote:
            >

            > > Hi Vince,
            > >
            > > I was not in the service, I can kinda guess what the "F" stands for, but
            > > TA?
            > >
            > > pat

          • meteoricshipyards
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 28, 2012
              --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, Joe Mackey <joemackey108@...> wrote:

              > Tom A asked --
              >
              > > The M-P makes you K-P on the Q-T
              >
              > MP is Military Police and KP is Kitchen Police (such as peeling
              > potatoes and so other menial duties) and QT is Quick Time.
              > IOW the MP will have you peeling potatoes real quick. :)
              > KP was a form of punishment, such as Community Service is in some
              > civilians areas.
              > Joe

              I knew what the letters meant. I was surprised my son in the army didn't. Changing times.

              Tom A.
              The more things change, the more they remain things.
            • Joe Mackey
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 28, 2012
                Vincente wrote --

                > I'm digging all these letter definitions, brings back memories (and not
                > all that pleasant either). My favourite one is FTA, and if you don't
                > understand that one, you haven't been in the army! LOL

                In my day it would be FTN. :)
                Joe
              • john
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 30, 2012
                  I can still smell the morning mess hall bacon of my times on KP in Basic.

                  We didn't do KP at my permanent duty station, we all pitched in $5 a month for 'houseboys' and KP workers from the native population, the Cuna tribe of the San Blas Islands in Panama. it doesn't sound like much but back in the day it was a good deal for us, and them. They once went on strike for two weeks and confounded our CO by refusing more money. They only wanted more responsibilities, which of course was against regulations. Finally, everyone turned a blind eye,,,, from the Commanding General to the lowest PVT, and allowed them to make the Kool-Aid.

                  john

                  -
                • john
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 30, 2012
                    Oh yeah,,,, in our area "On The QT" always meant "on the quiet".

                    john