Re: [OTRMP3] Question on Jack Benny Joke

  • meteoricshipyards
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 27 8:26 AM
      Thank you very much.

      And on a similar note about humor that isn't translating really well:

      I shared Phil Harris' rendition of G.I. Jive with my son in the army.

      One verse goes:

      If you're a P-V-T, your duty
      Is to salute to L-I-E-U-T
      But if you brush the L-I-E-U-T
      The M-P makes you K-P on the Q-T

      He didn't know what K-P is. Their punishment is working on the grounds. (He's currently at a base that doesn't have a mess, so they have to get their own food, but still - he did go to basic and has several training sessions in other bases.)

      Of course the verse:

      This is the G. I. Jive
      Man alive
      They give you a private tank that features a little device called "fluid drive"
      Jack, if you still survive

      I don't get; I assume it has something to do with the food and getting the runs, but I'm not sure.

      Tom A.

      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 27 8:47 AM
        KP stands for "kitchen police" or "kitchen patrol. It basically means spending the day peeling potatoes. It is usually given as a light form of punishment.

        meteoricshipyards <meteoricshipyards@...> wrote:

        >Thank you very much.
        >
        >And on a similar note about humor that isn't translating really well:
        >
        >I shared Phil Harris' rendition of G.I. Jive with my son in the army.
        >
        >One verse goes:
        >
        >If you're a P-V-T, your duty
        >Is to salute to L-I-E-U-T
        >But if you brush the L-I-E-U-T
        >The M-P makes you K-P on the Q-T
        >
        >He didn't know what K-P is. Their punishment is working on the grounds. (He's currently at a base that doesn't have a mess, so they have to get their own food, but still - he did go to basic and has several training sessions in other bases.)
        >
        >Of course the verse:
        >

        >This is the G. I. Jive
        >Man alive
        >They give you a private tank that features a little device called "fluid drive"
        >Jack, if you still survive
        >
        >I don't get; I assume it has something to do with the food and getting the runs, but I'm not sure.
        >
        >Tom A.

      • Monk
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 27 10:10 AM
          Fluid Drive? An antiquated term for automatic transmission as in a hydrolic valve means of shifting gears. My Dad used to say that his 1948 Pontiac had fluid drive. It takes an antiquated mind to know this stuff...

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 27 11:14 AM
            I wonder if they were referring to cleaning toilets. :-)
            ....they have fluid drive also.

            --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, Monk <aclamjamfree@...> wrote:

            > Fluid Drive? An antiquated term for automatic transmission as in a hydrolic valve means of shifting gears. My Dad used to say that his 1948 Pontiac had fluid drive. It takes an antiquated mind to know this stuff...

          • Joe Mackey
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 27 1:25 PM
              Tom A asked --

              > The M-P makes you K-P on the Q-T

              MP is Military Police and KP is Kitchen Police (such as peeling
              potatoes and so other menial duties) and QT is Quick Time.
              IOW the MP will have you peeling potatoes real quick. :)
              KP was a form of punishment, such as Community Service is in some
              civilians areas.
              Joe
            • Vincente Tobias
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 27 2:05 PM
                I'm digging all these letter definitions, brings back memories (and not all that pleasant either).  My favourite one is FTA, and if you don't understand that one, you haven't been in the army! LOL
                Vince

                Tom A asked --

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 28 6:10 AM
                  Hi Vince,

                  I was not in the service, I can kinda guess what the "F" stands for, but TA?

                  pat

                  --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, Vincente Tobias <vincenteca@...> wrote:

                  > I'm digging all these letter definitions, brings back memories (and not all
                  > that pleasant either). My favourite one is FTA, and if you don't
                  > understand that one, you haven't been in the army! LOL
                  > Vince
                  >
                  > On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 4:25 PM, Joe Mackey <joemackey108@...>wrote:
                  >

                  > > Tom A asked --
                  > >

                  > > > The M-P makes you K-P on the Q-T
                  > >
                  > > MP is Military Police and KP is Kitchen Police (such as peeling
                  > > potatoes and so other menial duties) and QT is Quick Time.
                  > > IOW the MP will have you peeling potatoes real quick. :)
                  > > KP was a form of punishment, such as Community Service is in some
                  > > civilians areas.
                  > > Joe

                • Vincente Tobias
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 28 6:24 AM
                    ....the ARMY!!!!
                    Vince

                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 28 6:48 AM
                      I understand SIR!

                      --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, Vincente Tobias <vincenteca@...> wrote:

                      > ....the ARMY!!!![?]
                      > Vince
                      >
                      > On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 9:10 AM, old_radios <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>wrote:
                      >

                      > > Hi Vince,
                      > >
                      > > I was not in the service, I can kinda guess what the "F" stands for, but
                      > > TA?
                      > >
                      > > pat

                    • meteoricshipyards
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 28 7:24 AM
                        --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, Joe Mackey <joemackey108@...> wrote:

                        > Tom A asked --
                        >
                        > > The M-P makes you K-P on the Q-T
                        >
                        > MP is Military Police and KP is Kitchen Police (such as peeling
                        > potatoes and so other menial duties) and QT is Quick Time.
                        > IOW the MP will have you peeling potatoes real quick. :)
                        > KP was a form of punishment, such as Community Service is in some
                        > civilians areas.
                        > Joe

                        I knew what the letters meant. I was surprised my son in the army didn't. Changing times.

                        Tom A.
                        The more things change, the more they remain things.
                      • Joe Mackey
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 28 1:58 PM
                          Vincente wrote --

                          > I'm digging all these letter definitions, brings back memories (and not
                          > all that pleasant either). My favourite one is FTA, and if you don't
                          > understand that one, you haven't been in the army! LOL

                          In my day it would be FTN. :)
                          Joe
                        • john
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 30 5:25 PM
                            I can still smell the morning mess hall bacon of my times on KP in Basic.

                            We didn't do KP at my permanent duty station, we all pitched in $5 a month for 'houseboys' and KP workers from the native population, the Cuna tribe of the San Blas Islands in Panama. it doesn't sound like much but back in the day it was a good deal for us, and them. They once went on strike for two weeks and confounded our CO by refusing more money. They only wanted more responsibilities, which of course was against regulations. Finally, everyone turned a blind eye,,,, from the Commanding General to the lowest PVT, and allowed them to make the Kool-Aid.

                            john

                            -
                          • john
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 30 6:10 PM
                              Oh yeah,,,, in our area "On The QT" always meant "on the quiet".

                              john