Desert Island Old time radio

    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 25, 2012
      You are stranded on an island with a solar powered iPod and a Pina Collata maker of course. What OTR shows would you take? The ipod can only hold 3 hours of MP3

      This might be fun for our newer members (Say hello) to hear about some good shows to listen to.
    • Vincente Tobias
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 25, 2012
        3 hours of SUSPENSE, hands down.  That would be 6 shows, but I'm not sure which 6 at this point.
        Vince

        On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 10:03 PM, old_radios <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        You are stranded on an island with a solar powered iPod and a Pina Collata maker of course. What OTR shows would you take? The ipod can only hold 3 hours of MP3

        This might be fun for our newer members (Say hello) to hear about some good shows to listen to.

      • Charles Brunsman
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 25, 2012
          as many episodes of 'It Pays To Be Ignorant' as will fit, starting with the early network shows.

          Cheers!
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 25, 2012
            I will take 3 hours of Escape!

          • magnoliawhisper@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 25, 2012
              I think I would like 1 hour of All American Theater, and 1 hour of The couple next door, and probably 1 hour of Dragnet.

              Heather

              > You are stranded on an island with a solar powered iPod and a Pina Collata maker of course. What OTR shows would you take? The ipod can only hold 3 hours of MP3
              >
              > This might be fun for our newer members (Say hello) to hear about some good shows to listen to.

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:

            • michael_douglas_dean
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 25, 2012
                Lone Ranger "Return of Cavendish" (20th Anniversary Episode)
                Abbott & Costello "Who's on First?"
                Lux Radio Theater "It's a Wonderful Life"

                ...if I can use modern audio drama, next would be...
                Black Jack Justice "The Albatross"
                Red Panda Adventures "Monkeyshines"

                ...if not, then...
                Six Shooter "Trail to Sunset"
                Box 13 "The Perfect Crime"

                --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, old_radios <no_reply@...> wrote:

                > You are stranded on an island with a solar powered iPod and a Pina Collata maker of course. What OTR shows would you take? The ipod can only hold 3 hours of MP3
                >
                > This might be fun for our newer members (Say hello) to hear about some good shows to listen to.

              • meteoricshipyards
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 27, 2012
                  --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, old_radios <no_reply@...> wrote:

                  > You are stranded on an island with a solar powered iPod and a Pina Collata maker of course. What OTR shows would you take? The ipod can only hold 3 hours of MP3
                  >
                  > This might be fun for our newer members (Say hello) to hear about some good shows to listen to.

                  What ipod can only hold 3 hours of MP3? (unless you have the rest filled with music, I suppose).

                  Jack Benny. Escape. I think I'd take "Temple of Vampires" from _I Love a Mystery_ if it would fit. I like Johnny Dollar, but a lot of the shows were 5 15 minute shows, so that would screw up other shows.

                  I like Superman, but, again, a single story could be 5-15 fifteen minute episodes.

                  Escape is excellent. But to be so limitted.....

                  Tom A.
                  A group of "intellectuals" were discussing what one book they would take with them to be marooned on a desert island. The usual great classics of literature were listed, and then they came to G.K. Chesterton. Everyone knew the well known apologist would take the Bible.

                  Chesterton's answer: "A Guide to Practical Boat Building".
                • Vincente Tobias

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 27, 2012
                      I wonder what my choice of Lum & Abner says about me.

                    • just_plain_Ben@hotmail.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 27, 2012

                        I do think "Escape" is a good choice! LOL

                        For my real pleasure it would be three episodes of "Lux Radio Theatre". Have I got the title right? It's the one with Cecil B DeMille hosting.
                           Which episodes?
                        * Casbah with Marlene Dietrich
                        * Seven Keys to Baldpate with Jack Benny and Mary Livingston
                        * Not sure what my third episode will be. Maybe "African Queen", maybe "Showboat", or maybe "Treasure of the Sierra Madre". These were great movies but the adaptations were not of the same caliber.

                        If I'd known I was going to be marooned I would have cleaned out that iPod and put the entire "Vic & Sade" and "Night Beat" series on it. Sure a better use of limited memory space than "Safety Dance"!
                           Alright, I would keep "Safety Dance" on there to make room for my Old Time Radio favorites.

                        Ben Karlin
                        Saint Louis, MO

                        [OTRMP3] Re: Desert Island Old time radio

                        --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, old_radios wrote:

                        > You are stranded on an island with a solar powered iPod and a Pina Collata maker of course. What OTR shows would you take? The ipod can only hold 3 hours of MP3
                        >
                        > This might be fun for our newer members (Say hello) to hear about some good shows to listen to.

                        What ipod can only hold 3 hours of MP3? (unless you have the rest filled with music, I suppose).

                        Jack Benny. Escape. I think I'd take "Temple of Vampires" from _I Love a Mystery_ if it would fit. I like Johnny Dollar, but a lot of the shows were 5 15 minute shows, so that would screw up other shows.

                        I like Superman, but, again, a single story could be 5-15 fifteen minute episodes.

                        Escape is excellent. But to be so limitted.....

                        Tom A.
                        A group of "intellectuals" were discussing what one book they would take with them to be marooned on a desert island. The usual great classics of literature were listed, and then they came to G.K. Chesterton. Everyone knew the well known apologist would take the Bible.

                        Chesterton's answer: "A Guide to Practical Boat Building".

                        <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                        <*> To change settings via email:
                        oldradioshowsonmp3-digest@yahoogroups.com
                        oldradioshowsonmp3-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • Susan
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 28, 2012
                          Corny choices, I know, but I love to listen to these over and over.

                           "HIS GIRL FRIDAY"  with Claudette Colbert, Fred MacMurray, & Jack Carson 09-30-40
                           "JACK BUYS A WALLET FOR DON AS CHRISTMAS GIFT"   12-19-48
                          "MISSION BELLS" - The Lone Ranger 1947-12-24
                          "MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET"  with Maureen O'Hara, Edmond Gwenn, John Payne, Natalie Wood

                          3 hours! No way.
                          Susan

                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 30, 2012
                            Three Skeleton Key
                            The Man Who Would Be King
                            both on Escape
                            And the last two hours would be just enough for Dick Orkin's Masked Minute Man.
                            I guess it would qualify as OTR since it's over 35 years old and Radio Drama itself wasn't that old when I started listening to it.

                            john