Amos & Andy

  • bigkahunacooks1
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2011
      HI ALL! My Dad is 80 years old(good health and Energizer Bunny!!) and wanted me to ask you'll if you knew what night(when it went weekly) was the Amos & Andy Show Broadcast??? I thought maybe you might know?? THANKS!!
      MIKE
    • Cosmo
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2011
        Hi! I was too young to hear it on the radio but my Giant Encyclopedia of OTR claims that it ran weekdays as a serial and then started on Friday nights at 10 as a half hour sitcom from 1943-1945. Later it aired on Tuesdays 1945-1948 and Sundays 1948-1955. Then when it retooled as the Amos & Andy Music Hall it ran weeknights until 1960.

        I hope the info is correct as I am just referring to the big guide.

        --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "bigkahunacooks1" <bigkahunacooks1@...> wrote:

        > HI ALL! My Dad is 80 years old(good health and Energizer Bunny!!) and wanted me to ask you'll if you knew what night(when it went weekly) was the Amos & Andy Show Broadcast??? I thought maybe you might know?? THANKS!!
        > MIKE

      • bigkahunacooks1
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1, 2011
          THANKS!! I'll call and tell my Dad...maybe that will refresh his memory. Thanks a Million!!
          Mike

          --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "Cosmo" <cosmo_nyet@...> wrote:

          > Hi! I was too young to hear it on the radio but my Giant Encyclopedia of OTR claims that it ran weekdays as a serial and then started on Friday nights at 10 as a half hour sitcom from 1943-1945. Later it aired on Tuesdays 1945-1948 and Sundays 1948-1955. Then when it retooled as the Amos & Andy Music Hall it ran weeknights until 1960.

        • Vincente Tobias
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1, 2011
            Amos & Andy Music Hall!    I used to listen to that as a teenager, believe it or not.  Every night at 6:30 on KNX in Los Angeles. Amos was always trying to play a record but he'd barely get to do it because Kingfish and Andy were always up to their antics.  They even had Sapphire and her Mama on sometimes, but that may have been from transcriptions from their older radio shows.  I remember the very last show in November1960 when they bid a fond farewell (I believe as Charles Correll and Freeman Gosden) saying they would be back again in some format.  I don't believe they ever were, though they did a voice-over for an animated tv show (that was pretty terrible, IMHO).  There is an interesting article on Wikipedia about A&A. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amos_'n'_Andy  In spite of all the controversy around the show, and particularly its racial aspects which a lot of people found offensive, I have found both the radio and the tv versions (particularly Spencer Williams as Andy and Tim Childress as Kingfish, both of whom were brilliant!) such classic comedy that to hide it under a bushel would be as wrong as relegating Tom Sawyer to the dust heap.
            Vince

            On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 1:05 PM, Cosmo <cosmo_nyet@...> wrote:

            Hi! I was too young to hear it on the radio but my Giant Encyclopedia of OTR claims that it ran weekdays as a serial and then started on Friday nights at 10 as a half hour sitcom from 1943-1945. Later it aired on Tuesdays 1945-1948 and Sundays 1948-1955. Then when it retooled as the Amos & Andy Music Hall it ran weeknights until 1960.

            I hope the info is correct as I am just referring to the big guide.

            --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "bigkahunacooks1" <bigkahunacooks1@...> wrote:

            > HI ALL! My Dad is 80 years old(good health and Energizer Bunny!!) and wanted me to ask you'll if you knew what night(when it went weekly) was the Amos & Andy Show Broadcast??? I thought maybe you might know?? THANKS!!
            > MIKE

          • John Ayers
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 1, 2011
              Gosden and Correll resurfaced as the voices of the prime time cartoon Calvin
              and the Colonel, which aired for one season in the early 60s. You can see
              an episode free on TV4U, which is a collection of vintage TV shows.

            • John Ayers
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 1, 2011
                My mistake, you already mentioned the cartoon series. Correll died in 1972,
                Gosden in 1982.

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 1, 2011
                  Hi Mike!

                  You can also look up for your part of the country and see the exact times were, if you know the approximate year-

                  http://www.jjonz.us/RadioLogs/

                  --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "bigkahunacooks1" <bigkahunacooks1@...> wrote:

                  > HI ALL! My Dad is 80 years old(good health and Energizer Bunny!!) and wanted me to ask you'll if you knew what night(when it went weekly) was the Amos & Andy Show Broadcast??? I thought maybe you might know?? THANKS!!
                  > MIKE

                • john
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 3, 2011
                    Whew!
                    Now we can discuss the complexities of the cancellation of Gosden and Correll's animated show, Calvin & The Colonel. Was it cancelled because of low ratings, or because it was a re-make of Amos & Andy and even having racially obscure animated characters playing the parts was too sensitive for 1961?

                    john
                  • Vincente Tobias

                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 3, 2011
                        And yet 'My Mother The Car' ran for a complete season.

                        john

                        --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, Vincente Tobias <vincenteca@...> wrote:

                        > Nahhh. I think it was just too stupid, even for television. I have watched
                        > just one episode (snagged from the Internet) and swore never again! I can't
                        > imagine why G. and C. bothered. Surely they didn't need the money. With
                        > this they drove in the nail that sealed A&A's coffin. If it weren't for OTR
                        > and OTV A&A would probably have been buried forever. Long live OTR!
                        > Vince
                        >
                        > On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 8:07 PM, john <jconn0403@...> wrote:
                        >

                        > > Whew!
                        > > Now we can discuss the complexities of the cancellation of Gosden and
                        > > Correll's animated show, Calvin & The Colonel. Was it cancelled because of
                        > > low ratings, or because it was a re-make of Amos & Andy and even having
                        > > racially obscure animated characters playing the parts was too sensitive for
                        > > 1961?
                        > >
                        > > john

                      • Joe Mackey
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 4, 2011
                          Vince wrote, regarding Calvin and the Colonel --

                          > Nahhh. I think it was just too stupid, even for television.

                          Ditto.

                          > I have watched just one episode (snagged from the Internet) and swore never
                          > again!

                          I couldn't get through the whole show. I think I endured about 20
                          minutes, cracked and told whoever wanted to know all the secret codes
                          and war plans they are asking about...

                          > I can't imagine why G. and C. bothered. Surely they didn't need
                          > the money. With this they drove in the nail that sealed A&A's coffin.
                          > If it weren't for OTR and OTV A&A would probably have been buried
                          > forever. Long live OTR!

                          Hmmm. Never thought of it that way.
                          I know some people who have more money than they (or anyone else)
                          could ever spend continue to work since they liked the work. (I once
                          told co-workers I would be willing to do my job for free, but in
                          somewhat hushed tones, in case any of my bosses were listening).
                          And it was easy money, like on radio. Come into a studio, read a
                          script, be handed a sack of money and go home.
                          Joe
                        • Joe Mackey
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 4, 2011
                            john wrote:

                            > And yet 'My Mother The Car' ran for a complete season.

                            I watched the show the first time around.
                            Several months ago I stumbled across it on Hulu and remembered
                            enjoying it. (I was a young teenager when it was first on).
                            I watched a couple and wondered why in the world I ever watched it in
                            the first place. Then realised it was probably because I had nagged and
                            cajoled my widowed mother into buying a used colour tv when our old b/w
                            literally blew up in a puff of smoke, during a Dick Van Dyke show.
                            It was one of the few shows in colour at the time.
                            Joe