Re: [OTRMP3] Re: STATUS....DAB 21-22

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 19, 2011
      Nice pic of the Shadow!!

      "Art, like morality, consists of drawing the line somewhere." --G.K. Chesterton

      Date: 07/19/2011 6:31:20 PM

      There's another Yahoo group out there where the members distribute CDs of OTR amongst the members of the group (where "distros" comes from).

      People sign up through the group email to receive CDs of particular shows. The person offering that show mails off CD copies to the first person on said list.  That person receives them, notes receivership via email to the group, then copies those CDs and mails the copies off to person #2.  Person 2 notes receivership via email when they get them, copies and sends those copies to person 3.  And so on and so on, until all who have asked to get copies of those shows have received them.

      "In today from Will Weeks. I'm Final."  means of course that he received the CDs from Mr. Weeks in the mail, and that he was the final person on the list to get those CDs.  And then he posted his "Thanks to Bernard, Wes, Will and Rick."  and signed his name, " James McWain."

      Simple, really... :)

      =Seth

      ----------------------------------
      A little slice of Audio Goodness
      from Seth Adam Sher

      http://www.audiogoodness.com
      Voice Artistry and Sound Design

      Date: 07/19/2011 10:45:55 AM
      Subject: [OTRMP3] Re: STATUS....DAB 21-22

      --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, James McWain <bcs961@...> wrote:

      > In today from Will Weeks.  I'm Final..   Thanks to Bernard, Wes, Will and Rick.  James McWain

      I think you posted this to the wrong group; I haven't seen any distros going around here. Which group is doing them? Any interesting?

      Tom A.
      Used to be in distros, lost the groups.

    • Seth Adam Sher
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 19, 2011
        heh... nice image.

        Actually they're CDs of MP3s of the shows, and this was really begun before places like archive.org came along... but also a lot of the times the CDs would have certain episodes that were harder to find online, or with extras like newspaper clippings of those shows or pictures of the cast, crew, etc.

        ----------------------------------
        A little slice of Audio Goodness
        from Seth Adam Sher

        http://www.audiogoodness.com
        Voice Artistry and Sound Design

        So, distros is short for "distributors"? And these shows are mailed as CDs instead of downloaded as MP3s? You guys are sharing radio shows and not involved in espionage, right?

        Well, I'm completely lost. I not only have no idea what distros are but also no idea what "I'm Final" means. Could you make the message any more cryptic? Maybe you could render it in Latin.... something like "Ergo Omega". That would be puzzling.

        > In today from Will Weeks.  I'm Final..   Thanks to Bernard, Wes, Will and Rick.  James McWain

        I think you posted this to the wrong group; I haven't seen any distros going around here. Which group is doing them? Any interesting?

        Tom A.
        Used to be in distros, lost the groups.

      • Philip (KO6BB)
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 19, 2011
          Seth, et al,
          You answered this one before I got a chance to. I also belong to that
          other group, some of the "Distros" are quite nice, though I get most of
          my OTR from other sources (Such as archive.org). They recently offered
          the Suspense distro which is VERY, VERY nice, good quality sound and a
          lot of extras. (It too is available at Archive.org) Most of what they
          offer are the OTRR collections, often before they're available at either
          the Archive or the OTRR hub (to which I also belong).

          Just this week I got the special OTRR "OTR Related Comics" distro from
          the group. It is quite large, 6 DVDs containing just about 24GB of
          comics. While I'm NOT into comics per-se, some of my OTR friends are,
          and I got that distro specifically so I could add it to my rather large
          OTR folder (960GB in size containing over 105,000 files counting OTR
          documentation). That plus many old movies, old TV etc is available to
          members of the hubs I belong to.

          73 de Phil, KO6BB
          http://www.qsl.net/ko6bb/ (Web Page)
          http://ko6bb1.multiply.com/ (My OTR Blog)
          http://cbsmysterytheater.multiply.com/ (My CBS
          Radio Mystery Theater Blog)

          RADIOS:
          Yaesu FT-2000 Xceiver for "hamming" and LF Beacons.
          National NC-183 16 Tube Receiver (circa 1949)
          Zenith "American" Royal-7000 Transoceanic. (circa 1970)
          Zenith "Taiwan made" 7000-2 Transoceanic. (Circa 1971)
          Realistic DX-380 Digital Portable.

          ANTENNAS:
          88' Long balanced dipole.
          "Mini-Whip" (active antennas) for LF.

          Merced, Central California, 37.3N 120.48W CM97sh

          On 7/19/2011 10:25 PM, Seth Adam Sher wrote:
          > There's another Yahoo group out there where the members distribute CDs
          > of OTR amongst the members of the group (where "distros" comes from).
          >
          > People sign up through the group email to receive CDs of particular
          > shows. The person offering that show mails off CD copies to the first
          > person on said list. That person receives them, notes receivership
          > via email to the group, then copies those CDs and mails the copies off
          > to person #2. Person 2 notes receivership via email when they get
          > them, copies and sends those copies to person 3. And so on and so on,
          > until all who have asked to get copies of those shows have received them.
          >
          > "In today from Will Weeks. I'm Final." means of course that he
          > received the CDs from Mr. Weeks in the mail, and that he was the final
          > person on the list to get those CDs. And then he posted his "Thanks
          > to Bernard, Wes, Will and Rick." and signed his name, " James McWain."
          >
          > Simple, really... :)
          >
          > =Seth

          -----
          No virus found in this message.
        • Alan S
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 20, 2011
            That makes sense. It just seemed odd, in this day and age, to hear someone refer to a mailing list which I was starting to believe went out with the rotary telephone. You guys must have been doing this for a while to have your own jargon like "distros" which I'm starting to suspect is more likely short for distributed objects. I understand the appeal of the additional information as I enjoy those DVDs that include commentaries, cast interviews and insights into how a movie is made.

            So, distros is short for "distributors"? And these shows are mailed as CDs instead of downloaded as MP3s? You guys are sharing radio shows and not involved in espionage, right?

            Well, I'm completely lost. I not only have no idea what distros are but also no idea what "I'm Final" means. Could you make the message any more cryptic? Maybe you could render it in Latin.... something like "Ergo Omega". That would be puzzling.

            > In today from Will Weeks.  I'm Final..   Thanks to Bernard, Wes, Will and Rick.  James McWain

            I think you posted this to the wrong group; I haven't seen any distros going around here. Which group is doing them? Any interesting?

            Tom A.
            Used to be in distros, lost the groups.

          • Paul Mannering
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 20, 2011
              Distros are cool and a great way to get some real OTR treasures.
              I never took on a distro because of the distance I am from the rest of the world. :-/

              --
              paul@...
              www.brokensea.com www.grindhouseaudio.com

            • Philip (KO6BB)
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 20, 2011
                Hi Again,
                Actually, I think that there is still another reason for the sharing of
                MP3s via "Mail distros" too. You may or may not believe it, but there
                are still people who, for whatever reason do not have high speed
                internet available. They may be way out in the country and still need
                to use dial-up, or perhaps the local library or coffee shop "Hot-Spot",
                etc. to get their email. Downloading large zip files from places like
                the archive.org site just isn't possible under those circumstances. . .

                On 7/20/2011 7:48 AM, Alan S wrote:

                > *That makes sense. It just seemed odd, in this day and age, to hear
                > someone refer to a mailing list which I was starting to believe went
                > out with the rotary telephone. You guys must have been doing this for
                > a while to have your own jargon like "distros" which I'm starting to
                > suspect is more likely short for _distr_ibuted _o_bject_s_. I
                > understand the appeal of the additional information as I enjoy those
                > DVDs that include commentaries, cast interviews and insights into how
                > a movie is made.*

                -----
                No virus found in this message.
              • meteoricshipyards
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 20, 2011
                  --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "Alan S" <crypticlore@...> wrote:

                  > That makes sense. It just seemed odd, in this day and age, to hear someone
                  > refer to a mailing list which I was starting to believe went out with the
                  > rotary telephone. You guys must have been doing this for a while to have
                  > your own jargon like "distros" which I'm starting to suspect is more likely
                  > short for distributed objects. I understand the appeal of the additional
                  > information as I enjoy those DVDs that include commentaries, cast interviews
                  > and insights into how a movie is made.

                  When I was into distros, there weren't many places on the web where many shows were archived; most sites would have a dozen or so individual shows and change them out every week or so - hard to get a big collection that way.

                  With distros, you could (for example) get all the Burns and Allen shows generally available in one shot. And the groups were fairly social places, where people would talk about the shows, their likes, and their lives.

                  (Also, only having work access to the internet, I couldn't download much, and the PC I worked on only had 3.5 inch floppies for me to sneakernet them home. Even a short superman show could take a couple of floppies).

                  Tom A.
                • sipseywilderness
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 21, 2011
                    Actually the discs that started this discussion were dvds not cds. Little over 4gbs per disc.

                    Best
                    Rick