The Shadow Returns, sort of

  • meteoricshipyards
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 11, 2011
      Last night, I caught parts of a new TV show, called "The Cape." The main character is taught by circus performers, wears a hooded cape that hides his face, and fights crime. Part of his set of tricks includes stage magic and escape skills.

      As I was watching it, I thought, "Another re-incarnation of the Shadow."

      Which also got me thinking about the history of the Shadow. I know that he started on radio as the anouncer for mystery stories, and from the response to the voice and laugh, he was turned into a character of his own. What I don't remember was the character of the Shadow, the crime fighter, first created in the pulp magazines, or on the radio? I do know that Margo Lane, who was always in the radio shows I heard, was only added to the magazine universe later.

      So, any historians around here able to fill me in? Thanks.

      Tom A.
      Other TV shows with a magician/escape artist/acrobat based crime fighter: The Sword of Justice, The Magician, It Takes a Thief (sort of), The CAT. "There is nothing new under the sun."
    • Seth Adam Sher
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 11, 2011
        Wikipedia to the rescue!

        First paragraph:

        "The Shadow is a collection of serialized dramas, originally in pulp magazines, then on 1930s radio and then in a wide variety of media, that follow the exploits of the title character, a crime-fighting vigilante with psychic powers.[2] One of the most famous pulp heroes of the 20th century, The Shadow has been featured in comic books, comic strips, television, video games, and at least five motion pictures. The radio drama is well-remembered for those episodes voiced by Orson Welles."

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 11, 2011
          further:

          "ntroduced as a mysterious radio narrator by David Chrisman, William Sweets, and Harry Engman Charlot for Street and Smith Publications, The Shadow was fully developed and transformed into a pop culture icon by pulp writer Walter B. Gibson.

          The Shadow debuted on July 31, 1930, as the mysterious narrator of the Street and Smith radio program Detective Story Hour.[3] After gaining popularity among the show's listeners, the narrator became the star of The Shadow Magazine on April 1, 1931, a pulp series created and primarily written by the prolific Gibson."

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 11, 2011
            Thank you. Should have checked Wiki.

            --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, Seth Adam Sher <seth1864@...> wrote:

            > further:
            >
            > The Shadow debuted on July 31, 1930, as the mysterious narrator of the Street
            > and Smith radio program Detective Story Hour.[3] After gaining popularity among
            > the show's listeners, the narrator became the star of The Shadow Magazine on
            > April 1, 1931, a pulp series created and primarily written by the prolific
            > Gibson."

            Talk about prolific, read in an article from a book in the library once that he could write 15000 words a day (on a manual typewriter) which would leave his fingers bleeding from the pounding. Some of his Shadow novels were written in 4 days.

            (If anyone has tried the National Novel Writing Month contest (www.nanowrimo.org) you know how hard it is to get get 15000 words written over 9 days, let alone in a single day.)

            Tom A.
            Writing a novel is _hard_!
          • mario_mot
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 17, 2011
              I watched both episodes. It was exactly what I expected, which was disappointing. It wasn't clever at all, and was very "cliche". I thought the villain was horrible. However, I think The Cape would make a good radio serial, although as you state, it would probably be too similar to The Shadow.

              Mario