Re: [OTRMP3] radios

  • Heather
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 6, 2009
      Hmm patch cord, I don't see a way to plug in a memory stick (USB thing) or a SD card into a head phone jack, explain further and that would be great!

      Heather

        Date: 12/6/2009 3:49:02 PM
        Subject: Re: [OTRMP3] radios

        I have a Crosley clock radio that has an iPod dock on it and the sound is quite good.  So I know they're capable of making something with decent sound.  My educated guess is that the sound on the unit you're looking at will be acceptable to good.

        I share your wish for a very nice, retro-looking 'furniture grade' mp3 player that can play from SD cards or USB memory sticks.  Until then, I use my 1939 Philco Shutterdial console with computer speakers inside and an mp3 player...

        Brian

        On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 1:49 PM, Heather <MagnoliaWhisper@...> wrote:

        Hi, I don't write in often. Most the distros lately, I actually already have, so that's why I haven't joined any lately. But, I'm a die hard OTR fan.

        For the most part we either listen to OTR on the PC or in the car (we have a mp3 player car stereo).

        Any way.....I will be getting rid of the TV with in the next year.

        For now I would like a cheaper but nice looking radio/mp3 player type machine. In the next 3 or 4 years we will upgrade to a better one/more expensive one for the living room. But, I'm just looking for one I can afford right now for the kitchen. So we can listen during breakfast to OTR.

        I love vintage looking machines. There is a ton of really really cheap ones out there, but they only play CD (not MP3 CDs).

        I have been thinking about this for a while, so my husband and I have finally decided a requirement must be a USB port or SD card slot as that would be fastest and cheapest to transfer and listen to OTR. (cheaper then DVDs, smaller, etc etc-especially considering they don't seem to make vintage reproduction DVD players).

        So I've been looking around Google and Amazon.

        This is what I have settled on, but there is no reviews on this particular model. I see that Kmart sells it so I will try to go and check it out there-hopefully it's not just online at Kmart and it's actually in the store.

        So far we have went to Target and BJ's (warehouse). They had two different models but the same brand (Crosley). However, neither one had them plugged in even though they had floor models, and neither ones staff, had any interest in helping me what so ever. Even though I was quite clear with the Target salesman I wanted to listen to it. He was a idiot though and said we don't have records so we won't be able to use it. I said......uh it doesn't JUST play records, it has a radio.......he was like oh...uh......yeah a real idiot. Any way, he still didn't help me at all in transferring it to a place (it was small enough for him or I to carry to a outlet!) where the outlets worked, because the outlet strip it was on was broken. So maybe Kmart will be a bit more successful.

        Any way........I'm just wondering if any one here has one, and what do you think?

        Heather

      • Heather
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 6, 2009
          LOVE it. Although like some of the comments would be nicer if the slot was in a more convenient space. But, the post said he wasn't going to do any more and he sold that one.

          Heather

          There is someone who takes the Philco cathedral repros of the 80's and modifies them by adding a USB port.

          --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, Heather <MagnoliaWhisper@...> wrote:

          > Hi, I don't write in often. Most the distros lately, I actually already have
          >  so that's why I haven't joined any lately. But, I'm a die hard OTR fan.
          >
          > For the most part we either listen to OTR on the PC or in the car (we have a
          > mp3 player car stereo).
          >
          > Any way.....I will be getting rid of the TV with in the next year.
          >
          > For now I would like a cheaper but nice looking radio/mp3 player type
          > machine. In the next 3 or 4 years we will upgrade to a better one/more
          > expensive one for the living room. But, I'm just looking for one I can
          > afford right now for the kitchen. So we can listen during breakfast to OTR.
          >
          > I love vintage looking machines. There is a ton of really really cheap ones
          > out there, but they only play CD (not MP3 CDs).
          >
          > I have been thinking about this for a while, so my husband and I have
          > finally decided a requirement must be a USB port or SD card slot as that
          > would be fastest and cheapest to transfer and listen to OTR. (cheaper then
          > DVDs, smaller, etc etc-especially considering they don't seem to make
          > vintage reproduction DVD players).
          >
          > So I've been looking around Google and Amazon.
          >
          > This is what I have settled on, but there is no reviews on this particular
          > model. I see that Kmart sells it so I will try to go and check it out
          > there-hopefully it's not just online at Kmart and it's actually in the store
          >

          > So far we have went to Target and BJ's (warehouse). They had two different
          > models but the same brand (Crosley). However, neither one had them plugged
          > in even though they had floor models, and neither ones staff, had any
          > interest in helping me what so ever. Even though I was quite clear with the
          > Target salesman I wanted to listen to it. He was a idiot though and said we
          > don't have records so we won't be able to use it. I said......uh it doesn't
          > JUST play records, it has a radio.......he was like oh...uh......yeah a real
          > idiot. Any way, he still didn't help me at all in transferring it to a place
          > (it was small enough for him or I to carry to a outlet!) where the outlets
          > worked, because the outlet strip it was on was broken. So maybe Kmart will
          > be a bit more successful.
          >
          > Any way........I'm just wondering if any one here has one, and what do you
          > think?
          >
          > com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_018V001780252000P?vName=Computers%20&%20Electronics&c
          > ame=HomeTheater&Audio&sName=Turntables&psid=FROOGLE&sid=KDx20070926x00003a
          >
          > Heather

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:

          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 6, 2009
            Yes, I know. You can always use a USB extension cable. You can email him and ask if he could do one more.

          • mario_mot
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 13, 2009
              I'm a little late to reply on this topic. Sorry.

              If you ever find an old console radio, I don't think it would be difficult to install an MP3 player attached to a small amp, which is then connected directly to the console's built-in speakers (or install some new speakers for better quality). You may even get lucky and find a non-working console for cheap off of Craigslist.

              Mario

              --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, Heather <MagnoliaWhisper@...> wrote:

              > Thanks Brian. And yes my dream would be to have a HUGE console exactly like
              > say the one in Christmas Story (remember he liked to listen to Little Orphan
              > Annie!?) or around that era of one. That would take a SD card or have a
              > USB port, but I'm sure that's a pipe dream. As I don't know how many people
              > would want that. But, sure something I would like. I would be willing to pay
              > a couple of thousand for a furniture that era quality one! Quality being key
              > I figure other people spend that much on a nice TV, plus the amount they
              > spend on cable or satellite, and we won't have any of the three of those, so
              > could use the money we would on them on a very nice radio like that. But,
              > actually finding one like I want will probably never happen. May have to
              > refurbish something myself some day! Would sure go with my decor, and be
              > beautiful and FUN in the house though!
              >
              > Heather
            • Heather
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 13, 2009
                The only thing is we have went through so many mp3 players it's not funny. That's why I didn't want another one. We've had countless, they don't seem to last long even expensive name brand ones. So I was thinking a SD card slot would be better, as they seem to keep working.

                Heather

                I'm a little late to reply on this topic. Sorry.

                If you ever find an old console radio, I don't think it would be difficult to install an MP3 player attached to a small amp, which is then connected directly to the console's built-in speakers (or install some new speakers for better quality). You may even get lucky and find a non-working console for cheap off of Craigslist.

                Mario

              • sipseywilderness
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 13, 2009
                  Been using an Emerson I got in the early 2000s ..the only one I've ever had and it still plays fine...a cd mp3 player that is. I think the new ipod and ms type last only a yr or 2 from those I know who have them. Just my 2 cents.

                  Best
                  Sipseywilderness
                  --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, Heather <MagnoliaWhisper@...> wrote:

                  > The only thing is we have went through so many mp3 players it's not funny.
                  > That's why I didn't want another one. We've had countless, they don't seem
                  > to last long even expensive name brand ones. So I was thinking a SD card
                  > slot would be better, as they seem to keep working.
                  >
                  > Heather

                • Heather
                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 13, 2009
                    Yeah the cd mp3 players are fine, we've had them for years too-only 2 and they are still working and we got them when they very first were put out. But, the only reason I don't want that is you can't put as much on a cd as you can a SD card or DVD.

                    Heather

                    Been using an Emerson I got in the early 2000s ..the only one I've ever had and it still plays fine...a cd mp3 player that is. I think the new ipod and ms type last only a yr or 2 from those I know who have them. Just my 2 cents.

                    Best
                    Sipseywilderness
                    --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, Heather <MagnoliaWhisper@...> wrote:

                    > The only thing is we have went through so many mp3 players it's not funny.
                    > That's why I didn't want another one. We've had countless, they don't seem
                    > to last long even expensive name brand ones. So I was thinking a SD card
                    > slot would be better, as they seem to keep working.
                    >
                    > Heather

                  • Wes Dickey
                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 13, 2009
                      Here's a novel idea.  I use a GPS unit to listen to MP3s in the car.  I've got a couple SD cards loaded, and have almost unlimited listening.  The only drawback to using it with a console would be it transmits an FM frequency, otherwise it might work for what you want.

                      Wes

                      PS: I don't know of anyone that has trouble with iPods.  I've got an early one that I still use almost every day and it still works fine.  I did replace the battery once.  Between my kids, wife and myself we probably have 10-12 of the different models.  All work fine, but then we have never run over them with a truck either.

                      Yeah the cd mp3 players are fine, we've had them for years too-only 2 and they are still working and we got them when they very first were put out. But, the only reason I don't want that is you can't put as much on a cd as you can a SD card or DVD.

                      Heather

                      Been using an Emerson I got in the early 2000s ..the only one I've ever had and it still plays fine...a cd mp3 player that is. I think the new ipod and ms type last only a yr or 2 from those I know who have them. Just my 2 cents.

                      Best
                      Sipseywilderness
                      --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@ yahoogroups. com, Heather <MagnoliaWhisper@ ...> wrote:

                      > The only thing is we have went through so many mp3 players it's not funny.
                      > That's why I didn't want another one. We've had countless, they don't seem
                      > to last long even expensive name brand ones. So I was thinking a SD card
                      > slot would be better, as they seem to keep working.
                      >
                      > Heather

                    • sipseywilderness
                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 13, 2009
                        That's very true. And I was not correct after thinking about it...got the Emerson in 98 or 99..liked it so much I got my son one..he still has his too but has dropped it and has to tape the lid shut but it works..he has went thru 2 ipods..one just sort of exploded....he also got a zune but it kept losing data. My thoughts on it was that there is no way I can listen to a whole cd in several days so why spend more money just to be with the in crowd....if it works good keep it. But then you have realize..my weather radio with severe thundersorm and tornado warning alert system was bought in 1974..still works like new..why upgrade?

                        Sipsey

                        --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, Heather <MagnoliaWhisper@...> wrote:

                        > Yeah the cd mp3 players are fine, we've had them for years too-only 2 and
                        > they are still working and we got them when they very first were put out.
                        > But, the only reason I don't want that is you can't put as much on a cd as
                        > you can a SD card or DVD.
                        >
                        > Heather

                      • Heather
                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 13, 2009
                          Lol we have went through a number of ipods, never ran one over either!

                          My husband doesn't like ipods inner face at all though-I.e. Uploading and downloading from it. Something about all or nothing.

                          We do use the GPS for mp3's now in the car as well! :)

                          Heather

                          Here's a novel idea.  I use a GPS unit to listen to MP3s in the car.  I've got a couple SD cards loaded, and have almost unlimited listening.  The only drawback to using it with a console would be it transmits an FM frequency, otherwise it might work for what you want.

                          Wes

                          PS: I don't know of anyone that has trouble with iPods.  I've got an early one that I still use almost every day and it still works fine.  I did replace the battery once.  Between my kids, wife and myself we probably have 10-12 of the different models.  All work fine, but then we have never run over them with a truck either.

                          Yeah the cd mp3 players are fine, we've had them for years too-only 2 and they are still working and we got them when they very first were put out. But, the only reason I don't want that is you can't put as much on a cd as you can a SD card or DVD.

                          Heather

                          Been using an Emerson I got in the early 2000s ..the only one I've ever had and it still plays fine...a cd mp3 player that is. I think the new ipod and ms type last only a yr or 2 from those I know who have them. Just my 2 cents.

                          Best
                          Sipseywilderness
                          --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@ yahoogroups. com, Heather <MagnoliaWhisper@ ...> wrote:

                          > The only thing is we have went through so many mp3 players it's not funny.
                          > That's why I didn't want another one. We've had countless, they don't seem
                          > to last long even expensive name brand ones. So I was thinking a SD card
                          > slot would be better, as they seem to keep working.
                          >
                          > Heather

                        • Heather
                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 13, 2009
                            I'm with ya on that! We don't upgrade unless we have to either. But, our two mp3 cd players are in the cars! Hahaha They are car stereo ones. We never got one for the house, because we thought in the house we would listen to a ipod like mp3 player, but like I said, those didn't turn out so good for us. Lol So since we have to buy for the house any way......I wanted to get the most updated thing that would last longest for us, that's why I was thinking SD card.

                            Heather

                            That's very true. And I was not correct after thinking about it...got the Emerson in 98 or 99..liked it so much I got my son one..he still has his too but has dropped it and has to tape the lid shut but it works..he has went thru 2 ipods..one just sort of exploded....he also got a zune but it kept losing data. My thoughts on it was that there is no way I can listen to a whole cd in several days so why spend more money just to be with the in crowd....if it works good keep it. But then you have realize..my weather radio with severe thundersorm and tornado warning alert system was bought in 1974..still works like new..why upgrade?

                            Sipsey

                            --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, Heather <MagnoliaWhisper@...> wrote:

                            > Yeah the cd mp3 players are fine, we've had them for years too-only 2 and
                            > they are still working and we got them when they very first were put out.
                            > But, the only reason I don't want that is you can't put as much on a cd as
                            > you can a SD card or DVD.
                            >
                            > Heather

                          • Harold Waters
                            Message 13 of 23 , Dec 14, 2009
                              When people have apple juice in their veins they tend to have an imac, an iphone, ipod and whatever else apple makes.  I think it is some sort of religious cult.

                              Harold Waters

                              You might find the OTROnMP3Distros group to be a good place to
                              get quality OTR.
                              You can check them out at;
                              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/otronmp3distros/
                              .
                              .
                              To stop receiving credit card offers go to www.optoutprescreen.com
                              Get audio books at http://librivox.org/
                              Free radio, movies etc at http://www.archive.org/index.php

                              Here's a novel idea.  I use a GPS unit to listen to MP3s in the car.  I've got a couple SD cards loaded, and have almost unlimited listening.  The only drawback to using it with a console would be it transmits an FM frequency, otherwise it might work for what you want.

                              Wes

                              PS: I don't know of anyone that has trouble with iPods.  I've got an early one that I still use almost every day and it still works fine.  I did replace the battery once.  Between my kids, wife and myself we probably have 10-12 of the different models.  All work fine, but then we have never run over them with a truck either.

                              Yeah the cd mp3 players are fine, we've had them for years too-only 2 and they are still working and we got them when they very first were put out. But, the only reason I don't want that is you can't put as much on a cd as you can a SD card or DVD.

                              Heather

                              Been using an Emerson I got in the early 2000s ..the only one I've ever had and it still plays fine...a cd mp3 player that is. I think the new ipod and ms type last only a yr or 2 from those I know who have them. Just my 2 cents.

                              Best
                              Sipseywilderness
                              --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@ yahoogroups. com, Heather <MagnoliaWhisper@ ...> wrote:

                              > The only thing is we have went through so many mp3 players it's not funny.
                              > That's why I didn't want another one. We've had countless, they don't seem
                              > to last long even expensive name brand ones. So I was thinking a SD card
                              > slot would be better, as they seem to keep working.
                              >
                              > Heather

                            • john
                              Message 14 of 23 , Dec 14, 2009
                                Harold,
                                We tend to consider it more like attaining the next evolutionary step on the intellectual/technological ladder. :-)

                                No iPhone or iTouch for me, but I'm on my 2nd iPod and have always used a Mac.
                                My first iPod is still running perfectly after 6 years but for the fact that the headphone jack is shot.
                                My fault - - - I had a habit of leaving the headphones plugged in and stuffing the unit into my pants pockets. The constant side to side movement of the plug widened the contacts on the jack and made it unusable. Word to the wise: pull the headphone out when your not using it.
                                I still use it in a little Memorex speaker unit that uses the butt plug for connection and I keep it on the night stand for listening at bedtime. It still works in my car stereo too, which also has the butt plug connector, but I tend to use memory sticks more often for that. They're so easy to load and unload that I find them the most convenient.
                                I ended up getting a new iPod this year to take along for walking. It seems I don't get out for my walks as much unless I've music (or OTR) to listen to.

                                john

                                --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, Harold Waters <hswaters@...> wrote:

                                > When people have apple juice in their veins they tend to have an imac, an iphone, ipod and whatever else apple makes. I think it is some sort of religious cult.
                                >
                                > Harold Waters
                                >
                                > You might find the OTROnMP3Distros group to be a good place to
                                > get quality OTR. You can check them out at;
                                > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/otronmp3distros/
                                > .
                                > .
                                > To stop receiving credit card offers go to www.optoutprescreen.com
                                > Get audio books at http://librivox.org/
                                > Free radio, movies etc at http://www.archive.org/index.php
                                >

                                > ________________________________

                              • john
                                Message 15 of 23 , Dec 14, 2009
                                  Speaking of......

                                  Here's a great piece from the latest issue of The Onion:

                                  http://www.theonion.com/content/news/new_device_desirable_old_device

                                  john
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Dec 14, 2009
                                    I believe that was a Canadian-made RCA. The tuning eye was changed to a red color for the movie, the authentic radio had a green tuning eye.

                                    Console radios are very hard to sell and usually command pretty low prices. You should be able to find a nice one for a good price. If you find a good working set, you can buy a great AM transmitter for around $150 or less.

                                    If you email your general location, I could find a collector in your area for you.

                                  • dal3856
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Dec 14, 2009
                                      As recommended by old_radios a transmitter would be a good way to go. You can listen to streaming OTR from the internet or any mp3 files stored on your hard drive. The transmitter is connected to the speaker output of the computer and transmits the output to any AM radio in the house tuned to the transmitter's frequency. You can also connect it to a CD player or other type mp3 player. The SSTRAN AM3000 is available in kit form. Contact the seller to ask about a ready built transmitter. You can sometimes find used AM3000's on eBay. You might find a console radio on eBay nearby to you if you sort the auctions by distance from your location. I think you have to be a registered user to sort by distance.

                                      AM3000 transmitter:

                                      http://www.sstran.com/

                                      Tube radios on eBay:

                                      http://tinyurl.com/ydf98co