Was Hold That Ghost on radio (Re: [OTRMP3] Looking for otr radio shows)

  • Dwane
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 18 8:34 AM
      I can't check the World Book Encyclopedia, but most of the numerous websites I found listed on Google are worded similar to the Wikipedia article about Abbott and Costello. It looks like the unsourced info was added to Wikipedia on March 31, 2006:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Abbott_and_Costello&diff=prev&oldid=46336190
      http://tinyurl.com/ozptd2

      They changed this:

      In the same period, Abbott and Costello occasionally reworked some of their film roles for such programming as ''[[Lux Radio Theater]]'', which brought them in to perform a radio adaptation of ''Buck Privates''.

      to this:

      During the same period, two of their films, "Buck Privates" and "Hold That Ghost," were adapted for radio and presented on ''[[Lux Radio Theater]]''.

      Although I like Wikipedia, it is a bad source of information unless you can back it up somewhere else. Can anyone check and see if the World Book Encyclopedia lists an air date?

      These OTR logs don't list Hold That Ghost:

      http://www.old-time.com/otrlogs2/lux.log.txt (Frank Passage)
      http://www.otrsite.com/logs/logl1008.htm (Jerry Haendiges)
      http://audio-classics.com/lluxradio.html (Terry Salomonson)

      RadioGOLDINdex doesn't show Costello starring in Hold That Ghost for any series:
      http://www.radiogoldindex.com/cgi-local/p3.cgi?ArtistName=Costello,+Lou&ArtistNumber=26262
      http://tinyurl.com/lo4jnk

      If this search result is accurate, Hold That Ghost isn't even mentioned on RadioGOLDINdex at all:

      http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Hold+That+Ghost%22+site%3Aradiogoldindex.com
      http://tinyurl.com/r59nfx

      Dwane

      --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "Daryl M." <zorros.layer@...> wrote:

      > According to World Book Encyclopedia and numerous websites Buck Privates and Hold That Ghost were adapted for Lux Radio Theater.
      >
      > Daryl
    • Daryl M.
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 18 10:34 AM
        I just looked at the wikipedia site. Though I rarely ever check their info because you can never be sure of the source of info it reads almost word for word from the World Book Encyclopedia when it states that Buck Private and Hold That Ghost were adapted for Lux. Perhaps Hold That Ghost is one of the shows that no longer exists.

        Daryl

        I can't check the World Book Encyclopedia, but most of the numerous websites I found listed on Google are worded similar to the Wikipedia article about Abbott and Costello. It looks like the unsourced info was added to Wikipedia on March 31, 2006:

        http://en.wikipedia .org/w/index. php?title= Abbott_and_ Costello& diff=prev& oldid=46336190
        http://tinyurl. com/ozptd2

        They changed this:

        In the same period, Abbott and Costello occasionally reworked some of their film roles for such programming as ''[[Lux Radio Theater]]'', which brought them in to perform a radio adaptation of ''Buck Privates''.

        to this:

        During the same period, two of their films, "Buck Privates" and "Hold That Ghost," were adapted for radio and presented on ''[[Lux Radio Theater]]''.

        Although I like Wikipedia, it is a bad source of information unless you can back it up somewhere else. Can anyone check and see if the World Book Encyclopedia lists an air date?

        These OTR logs don't list Hold That Ghost:

        http://www.old-time.com/otrlogs2/lux.log.txt (Frank Passage)
        http://www.otrsite. com/logs/ logl1008. htm (Jerry Haendiges)
        http://audio- classics. com/lluxradio. html (Terry Salomonson)

        RadioGOLDINdex doesn't show Costello starring in Hold That Ghost for any series:
        http://www.radiogoldindex.com/cgi-local/p3.cgi?ArtistName=Costello,+Lou&ArtistNumber=26262
        http://tinyurl. com/lo4jnk

        If this search result is accurate, Hold That Ghost isn't even mentioned on RadioGOLDINdex at all:

        http://www.google. com/search? q=%22Hold+ That+Ghost% 22+site%3Aradiog oldindex. com
        http://tinyurl. com/r59nfx

        Dwane

        --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@ yahoogroups. com, "Daryl M." <zorros.layer@ ...> wrote:

        > According to World Book Encyclopedia and numerous websites Buck Privates and Hold That Ghost were adapted for Lux Radio Theater.
        >
        > Daryl

      • gwagneroldtimeradio
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 24 1:08 AM
          "Also I'm looking for a good Egypt/mummy type mystery either otr or modern radio drama."

          You might try "The Golden Bracelet of Amon-Iris" from the 1953 incarnation of THE HALL OF FANTASY. Though it may fail your "good" test, since American museum archaeologists in Egypt open tomb doors with DYNAMITE (real archaeologists use putty knives and brushes) and ship mummies and tomb treasures home without so much as a by-your-leave to the Egyptian Department of Antiquities.

          "The Curse of Ramses" (or "Ranzes") on the PERIL series is much better-written and more genuinely frightening, but both programs are entertaining enough.

          Sincerely,

          George Wagner
          georgewagner@...
        • robert robertson
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 3, 2009

             att edronuk
            there were others shows also done on lux radio there i found some at radiolovers.com
            hope this helps

            From: edronuk <edronuk@...>
            Subject: Re: [OTRMP3] Looking for otr radio shows
            To: oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Friday, September 18, 2009, 5:56 AM

            Where did you find this show listed?

            I've just checked Jerry Haendiges logs and the OTTER database and Goldindex and I can't find it listed.

            The OTRplus web site has all the generally available Lux shows on it's web site and it's not their either.

            Maybe it's was on one of the other Theatre shows

            John D

            --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@ yahoogroups. com, "Daryl M." <zorros.layer@ ...> wrote:

            > Abbott and Costello made 2 Lux appearances. Buck Privates and Hold that Ghost. BP was in '41.
            >
            > Daryl
            >

            > ____________ _________ _________ __

          • edronuk
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 6, 2009
              Thanks, but it was Daryl who was looking for the shows.

              I'm quite happy with the 717 episodes that I have already unless you have any of the following:

              42/05/25 353 Test Pilot
              44/01/10 422 The Constant Nymph
              46/11/11 545 Gallant Journey
              47/03/31 565 How Green Was My Valley (repeat)
              47/10/27 587 Stairway to Heaven
              48/12/06 635 The Foxes of Harrow
              49/09/05 666 Saigon
              49/09/12 667 Deep Waters
              49/11/14 676 Mother Wore Tights (repeat)
              50/12/04 723 Apartment for Peggy (repeat)
              51/06/25 752 The Reformer and the Redhead
              51/10/29 762 I'd Climb the Highest Mountain
              52/10/06 797 The Model and the Marriage Broker
              52/11/24 804 The Blue Veil
              52/12/29 809 Westward the Women
              53/01/05 810 Phone Call from a Stranger
              53/03/16 820 This Woman Is Dangerous
              53/04/13 824 Just for You
              53/04/27 826 Somebody Loves Me
              53/06/08 832 China Run
              53/08/17 842 Edward, My Son (repeat)
              53/11/09 854 Thunder on the Hill
              53/11/30 857 Undercurrent (repeat)
              53/12/07 858 Man on a Tightrope
              54/02/15 868 Trouble Along the Way
              54/05/17 881 The Corn Is Green (repeat)
              54/06/28 887 Goodbye, My Fancy
              54/09/14 888 Wuthering Heights (repeat)
              54/09/28 890 How Green Was My Valley (repeat)
              54/11/02 895 The Big Trees (repeat)
              55/03/08 913 The Walls of Jericho

              I don't think any of these are readily available. Some of the repeats are offered but are usually just miss-labelled. Check here if you think you have any of them. "http://sites.google.com/site/otrerrors/"

              JohnD (edronuk)

              --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, robert robertson <rob45us@...> wrote:

              >  att edronuk
              > there were others shows also done on lux radio there i found some at radiolovers.com
              > hope this helps
              > robert at rob45us@... On Fri, 9/18/09, edronuk <edronuk@...> wrote:
              >

              > From: edronuk <edronuk@...>
              > Subject: Re: [OTRMP3] Looking for otr radio shows
              > To: oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com
              > Date: Friday, September 18, 2009, 5:56 AM
              >

              > Where did you find this show listed?
              >
              > I've just checked Jerry Haendiges logs and the OTTER database and Goldindex and I can't find it listed.
              >
              > The OTRplus web site has all the generally available Lux shows on it's web site and it's not their either.
              >
              > Maybe it's was on one of the other Theatre shows
              >
              > John D
              >
              > --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@ yahoogroups. com, "Daryl M." <zorros.layer@ ...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Abbott and Costello made 2 Lux appearances. Buck Privates and Hold that Ghost. BP was in '41.
              > >
              > > Daryl

            • Dwane Harney
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 6, 2009
                Thanks for that link.