[OTRMP3] Re: otr downloads

  • Rick Roberts
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 21, 2009
      Since almost all portables will play 32...my 64 to 128 analogy really
      isn't a concern.

      Best
      Sipseywilderness

      --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, sirghoul@... wrote:

      > On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 01:23:57 +0000, you wrote:
      >
      > >...higher kbps is better.
      >
      > Provided there is more genuine information in the final encode, and a
      lower-rate file wasn't just "upgraded' to play in
      > a portable device.
      >
      > John.
      >

      > www.appleiidocupedia.hobby-site.org
      >
      > Help me build some history.

    • Rick Roberts
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 21, 2009
        I know in the past there were a lot of zip files on IA...and I may be
        thinking of some of them as video...but OTRR isn't the only one
        allowed ..thats for sure...unless it has changed since I spent a few
        years there.

        Best
        Sipseywilderness

        --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, mike davis
        <mikedavisstripmaster@...> wrote:

        >  As far as I know OTRR is the only ones allowed to load zip files
        to IA and thats with the understanding that there will be a "Single
        episode page" loaded for those files. IA does make use of Zip files
        for downloads.

        > Mike D.

        Then

        Macs.)

        > > www.appleiidocupedi a.hobby-site. org
        >

        > > Help me build some history.

      • billapostol
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 21, 2009
          hi don,

          thanks! it's quite an undertaking. you should be able to use a
          download manager. i haven't tried one in years, but i know there are
          free ones available. i believe sourceforge.com is a decent site to
          look. i'm not positive about the site name, but it seems right.

          i will build actual download pages in the future for each series, with
          pictures and some info about the series. right now, what you see is
          just the raw directory listings. it's convenient for me, since i am
          uploading so many files.

          maybe someone else knows of a decent download manager you can use.

          bill

        • sirghoul@optonline.net
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 22, 2009
            Currently, that's true.

            However, files from 'the bad old days', when portables only supported higher bit rates, are still floating around, and
            must be watched for.

            John.

            On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 06:14:08 +0000, you wrote:

            >Since almost all portables will play 32...my 64 to 128 analogy really
            >isn't a concern.
            >
            >Best
            >Sipseywilderness
            >
            > --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, sirghoul@... wrote:
            >>
            >> On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 01:23:57 +0000, you wrote:
            >>
            >> >...higher kbps is better.
            >>
            >> Provided there is more genuine information in the final encode, and a
            >lower-rate file wasn't just "upgraded' to play in
            >> a portable device.
            >>
            >> John.
            >>

            >> www.appleiidocupedia.hobby-site.org
            >>
            >> Help me build some history.

            www.appleiidocupedia.hobby-site.org

            Help me build some history.
          • Dwane Harney
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 22, 2009
              I think the question now is whether to get 64Kbps or 128Kbps files.
              While John's concern about files converted from a lower bitrate to a
              higher bitrate are valid, I haven't seen this done at the Internet
              Archive (IA). When in doubt, I look at the end of the filename. MP3
              files that have been converted by IA end with something similar
              to "_64kb.mp3" or "_vbr.mp3".

              Here's an example where the source was probably a WMA file and both
              MP3s are re-encoded:

              http://www.archive.org/details/GeorgeHallOrchVdollyDawn-
              52ndStreetfromRadio
              Clickable link: http://tinyurl.com/cr3cfj

              I hope that makes sense.

              Dwane
            • Robert M. Bratcher Jr.
              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 22, 2009
                On 1/21/2009 10:18:43 PM, mike davis (mikedavisstripmaster@...) wrote:
                > Hiya Sir Rick, There is an option to download the entire contents of one
                > of the otr IA file pages. Replace the word details with the word compress
                > in the Page url and it should give you every file loaded to the page. USE
                > WITH CAUTION though it will download all the dupes and different bit rates
                > and zip files all in one zip.
                >
                > Your Mileage may vary,
                >
                > Mike D.

                I tried that with a Lux Radio Theater fills & upgrades page & got a
                zip download that timed out twice meaning the big archive didn't
                finish downloading. Must be an IA problem.....
              • billapostol
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 23, 2009
                  hi,

                  when i was planning the site, i considered ways to make a series
                  downloadable with 'one click'. stored in a zip file (mp3's don't have
                  much room for compression but unzipable by windows, albumwrap, or rar's
                  were options.

                  at that time, i thought i had about 300 gigs to upload to my site. i
                  figured that adding a compressed file in addition to the individual
                  files would double the storage to 600 gigs. plus, the vast majority of
                  people visiting the site would probably not have an interest in a huge
                  zip file download. now that i see i will probably have closer to 500
                  gigs, adding a zip for each series would bring the total up around
                  1Tb. that is quite a large amount of files to place on a web host, and
                  not to mention the extensive times for me to upload all those files.

                  it takes long enough to ftp five or six gigs each night to the server.
                  my uplink bandwith isn't that great, but the average file download from
                  my site is under 20 seconds, so there is lots of download bandwith from
                  the site.

                  judging by the logs, there are plenty of people downloading each file
                  from a series, and some just picking and choosing a few from different
                  series. it seems... judging by their time online and the thirty
                  minutes plus or minus between their file downloads, a significant
                  number of people are just clicking the file and listening to it as it
                  streams to their computer.

                  so, to make a long story even longer... you can either use a download
                  manager or find the shows from archive.org. i looked there before i
                  started this site and many of the files weren't hosted by them. most
                  of the links i was given had lower quality files to stream and listen
                  to, although some of them had the better quality files.

                  i am trying to make my site as easy to use for as many people as
                  possible. there are around 200 people each day lately visiting and the
                  majority of them download some files. many come back every day or two
                  for more files. last night i even had someone from the north pole!
                  people from many countries have become regulars there. some from
                  places i have never even heard of. your's is the only request i have
                  recieved asking for single file zips.

                  if i ever get to the point where i am close to being finished uploading
                  the files i have, then i'll see if i have shell or telnet access to my
                  files and then i can tar them on the server without having to double my
                  storage requirement on my pc by zipping them here, and taking twice the
                  time to upload everything.

                  bill
                  http://TennesseeBillsOTR.com

                  wrote:

                  > thanks, dwane
                  > i am using DAP but i noice that archive.org zips entire series
                  > together as one big download. i would like that as an option.
                  > don

                • billapostol
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 23, 2009
                    i used to have the same problem with some messages. it seems that some
                    messages have the characteristics of spam and the filters catch them.
                    just add the email address to your spam filter's 'safe list' or
                    sometimes your address book and that should take care of the problem.

                    you've probably received a dozen replies to your message by the time i
                    hit send on my reply.

                    bill

                    --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, robert robertson