Is this a new scam?

  • Vincente Tobias
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2008
      I got this in my inbox today. Is this a new kind of scam? Anyone know
      anything about this or have you also received such a thing? I have no idea
      who this person is. I've cross posted this to 3 groups because it may
      be important to let folks know.

      Vince

      Ecard from MSN Greetings to me
      show details 2:35 PM (7 hours ago) Reply

      Lynne (jprhedd@...) has sent you an ecard.

      To view your ecard, choose from the options below.

      Click on the following link:
      http://www.msn.americangreetings.com/ecards/view.pd?i=422946171&m=9935&rr=y&source=msne999

      For your security, if you'd prefer not to click on links within this email:
      1. Type http://www.msn.americangreetings.com/?source=msne999&rr=y into your
      web browser
      2. Locate the ecard pickup link in the upper right-hand corner of the page
      3. Enter the following code --> 4229461719935

      Please do not reply to this email. To help resolve your issue or question,
      go to:
      http://www.msn.americangreetings.com/help/index.pd?source=msne999
      We have an extensive help center that may answer your questions, or you can
      choose to email us from there.

      To read about email protection, type
      http://www.msn.americangreetings.com/emailprotection into your web browser.

      Thank you!
      Your friends at MSN Greetings

    • Dwane Harney
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2008
        Vince,
        Although I'm not a fan of opera music ;-) , I think this is a legit
        greeting card.

        I haven't used the MSN branded greeting cards, but I have received
        and sent cards using http://www.yahoo.americangreetings.com

        Dwane

        --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "Vincente Tobias"

      • ontime6402@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 2, 2008
          DO NOT ANS unless you know the sender.
          **************Finally, one site has it all: your friends, your email, your
          favorite sites. Try the NEW AOL.com.
          (http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp&icid=aolcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000006)

        • Miss Denise
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 2, 2008
            It's simply an e-card. MSN = Microsoft Network. Perhaps send a thank you to
            the
            individual who was kind enough to send the card to you.

            Lynn is probably a member of one of the yahoogroups where you are also a
            member, and your
            "crossposting" may have unwittingly made you the butt of some humour. I
            would suggest that
            folks check first, and email warnings to hundreds of people only *afterward*
            .

            Denise

            On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 7:56 PM, Vincente Tobias <vincenteca@...>wrote:

            > I got this in my inbox today. Is this a new kind of scam? Anyone know
            > anything about this or have you also received such a thing? I have no idea
            > who this person is. I've cross posted this to 3 groups because it may
            > be important to let folks know.
            >
            > Vince
            >
            > Ecard from MSN Greetings to me
            > show details 2:35 PM (7 hours ago) Reply
            >
            > Lynne (jprhedd@... <jprhedd%40hotmail.com>) has sent you an ecard.
            >
            > To view your ecard, choose from the options below.
            >
            > Click on the following link:
            >
            > http://www.msn.americangreetings.com/ecards/view.pd?i=422946171&m=9935&rr=y&source=msne999
            >
            > For your security, if you'd prefer not to click on links within this email:
            > 1. Type http://www.msn.americangreetings.com/?source=msne999&rr=y into
            > your
            > web browser
            > 2. Locate the ecard pickup link in the upper right-hand corner of the page
            > 3. Enter the following code --> 4229461719935
            >
            > Please do not reply to this email. To help resolve your issue or question,
            > go to:
            > http://www.msn.americangreetings.com/help/index.pd?source=msne999
            > We have an extensive help center that may answer your questions, or you can
            > choose to email us from there.
            >
            > To read about email protection, type
            > http://www.msn.americangreetings.com/emailprotection into your web
            > browser.
            >
            > Thank you!
            > Your friends at MSN Greetings

          • john
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 2, 2008
              -If you don't know a Lynne,,,, don't open it.
              There's a virus going around using legit greeting card companies as a door.

              http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art47004.asp

              Thank god I've got a Mac. We're a bit less susceptible to viruses.

              Vince, if you see Santa on his way down to IL, tell him I want the new Nikon D3 X.

              john

              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 2, 2008
                --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "john" <jconn0403@...>
                wrote:
                <snip>
                > There's a virus going around using legit greeting card companies as
                > a door.
                >
                > http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art47004.asp
                <snip>

                That's an interesting article. Although people are spoofing emails
                from legit greeting cards, I think you should be safe if you make sure
                you go to the real companies website and then enter the card's code
                number.

                However, in spoofed emails the link shown on the screen isn't always
                where it sends you, so you have to be careful about that. This picture
                shows an example of a link in a spoofed eBay email I got in 2005 and
                where the link would have actually sent me (this is just a screenshot):

                http://hintonet.net/~rosetoy/temp/spoof_munged.png

                The link on the screen started with "http://signin.ebay.com/", but if
                it had been clicked on it, it would have gone to an IP address
                starting with "http://202.1".

                Dwane
              • mitch68ca
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 2, 2008
                  Vince,

                  It looks like it's from someone in Florida who sometimes goes by
                  Lynzee if that helps.

                  <vincenteca@...> wrote:

                  > I got this in my inbox today. Is this a new kind of scam? Anyone know
                  > anything about this or have you also received such a thing? I have
                  no idea
                  > who this person is. I've cross posted this to 3 groups because
                  it may
                  > be important to let folks know.
                  >
                  > Vince
                  >
                  > Ecard from MSN Greetings to me
                  > show details 2:35 PM (7 hours ago) Reply
                  >

                  > Lynne (jprhedd@...) has sent you an ecard.
                  >
                  > To view your ecard, choose from the options below.
                  >
                  > Click on the following link:

                  http://www.msn.americangreetings.com/ecards/view.pd?i=422946171&m=9935&rr=y&source=msne999

                  > For your security, if you'd prefer not to click on links within this
                  email:
                  > 1. Type http://www.msn.americangreetings.com/?source=msne999&rr=y
                  into your
                  > web browser
                  > 2. Locate the ecard pickup link in the upper right-hand corner of
                  the page
                  > 3. Enter the following code --> 4229461719935
                  >

                  > Please do not reply to this email. To help resolve your issue or
                  question,
                  > go to:
                  > http://www.msn.americangreetings.com/help/index.pd?source=msne999
                  > We have an extensive help center that may answer your questions, or
                  you can
                  > choose to email us from there.
                  >
                  > To read about email protection, type
                  > http://www.msn.americangreetings.com/emailprotection into your web
                  browser.

                  > Thank you!
                  > Your friends at MSN Greetings

                • Stan Jones
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 2, 2008
                    Denise wrote:

                    > ...Lynn is probably a member of one of the yahoogroups where you
                    > are also a member...

                    Your address may have inadvertently been added to a email group on her
                    computer. At a previous job, a friend who had transferred to the personnel
                    department mistakenly added me to one of her department folders and copied
                    me on a VERY confidential email about another employee. I deleted it and
                    informed her of it by phone. No sense adding further to the email trail.

                    Stan
                  • Vincente Tobias
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 2, 2008
                      Thanks to all of you who responded to my dumb email I am hot on the trail
                      and will probably solve the mystery. I do know a Lynne in Florida (from
                      another group) but she has a different email address. Well, who knows?!
                      But thanks to Dee, I now know how to investigate this safely. Thanks
                      again, you dear cyberpals!

                      Vince

                    • john
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 3, 2008
                        Actually Vince,
                        if you just delete it all you're missing is one of those vapid internet greeting cards. Not really
                        a big deal.

                        johne
                      • billapostol
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 2, 2009
                          hi,

                          http://www.msn.americangreetings.com is a legit site and someone you
                          know most likely sent you a greeting card. it would be helpful if
                          they put the senders info in the message to help authenticate it.

                          i had friends that used to send the americangreetings e-cards years
                          ago.

                          i must admit, i only opened one... once. i made it through the
                          cheezy music, then watch a card start to draw on the screen. then i
                          closed the window.

                          to give you an idea how long ago this was, i was using netscape 1.1,
                          maybe 1.2, but it was the first major release.

                          i just looked at your message again. the sender's email starts out
                          with 'jprhedd@'. maybe you can do a search through your email for
                          that character string (name) and find out who it is from, or you can
                          just open it!

                          bill
                          '
                          <vincenteca@...> wrote:

                          > I got this in my inbox today. Is this a new kind of scam? Anyone
                          know
                          > anything about this or have you also received such a thing? I have
                          no idea
                          > who this person is. I've cross posted this to 3 groups
                          because it may
                          > be important to let folks know.
                          >
                          > Vi
                          > Lynne (jprhedd@...) has sent you an ecard.

                        • Paul Mannering
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 2, 2009
                            I don't click on e-card links anymore as they can often be links to virus or
                            other web nasty sites.

                            Just easier to send an email expressing good wishes IMO.

                            --
                            paul@...
                            www.brokensea.com Guerrilla Audio

                          • Vincente Tobias
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 3, 2009
                              Bill,

                              Although this is kind of old now, I thought I'd just mention that I
                              eventually did open the card (after someone else had done it and did not
                              suffer any consequences LOL). I still don't know who it came from. I even
                              wrote the person but never got any answer. It is like the time, many years
                              ago, that someone ordered a pile of firewood and it was dumped on my
                              driveway (we were heating with a woodstove at the time). I suspected a
                              certain person, but she denied it, so I never knew for sure who had done
                              it. So, that illustrates how our society has devolved since the 1980's.
                              THEN:Firewood that is at least useful; NOW: an ecard that is hopelessly
                              stupid. (Sigh) What will 2009 bring?

                              Vince