Re: Grouply spam

  • Dwane Harney
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 7, 2008
      Here is part of the message headers from the email I received. I've
      added a space around some of the at signs ( @ ) so Yahoo Groups
      doesn't hide those domain names.

      Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 11:23:54 -0000
      From: "donvigo" <donvigo @ web.de>
      To: dwane413@...
      Subject: don wants to add you as a friend :)
      Sender: notify @ yahoogroups.com

      X-Yahoo-Post-IP is the IP address of the sender. A reverse DNS
      lookup shows the following:

      72.20.121.70 resolves to
      "72-20-121-070.BAYAREA.NET"
      Top Level Domain: "BAYAREA.NET"
      Country IP Address: UNITED STATES

      So this message was sent by Bay Area Internet Solutions. Some of
      these headers make it look like the message was sent through a Yahoo
      Group. It even says the X-Mailer was Yahoo Groups Message Poster. (X-
      Mailer tells what program was used to send the email. Such as
      Outlook Express, Thunderbird, etc.) This leads me to think Grouply
      is either forging the headers or Yahoo has set up a special way for
      Grouply to send these message.

      I forwarded the email to the following addresses:

      abuse@... [abuse AT bayarea.net]
      (reason: the IP address belongs to bayarea.net)
      abuse@... [abuse AT eGroups.com]
      (reason: the Message-ID had the eGroups.com domain)
      abuse@yahoogroups.com [abuse AT yahoogroups.com]
      (reason: Sender was notify @ yahoogroups.com)
      spam@... [spam AT uce.gov]
      (reason: that's where you report unwanted or deceptive spam to the
      Federal Trade Commision)

      Dwane
    • Dwane Harney
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 7, 2008
        --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "Dwane Harney"
        <dwane413@...> wrote:
        > So this message was sent by Bay Area Internet Solutions.

        Oops. That's not correct. Sorry. The message was sent by someone using
        a Bay Area Internet Solutions IP address. In other words, Bay Area
        Internet Solutions is still Grouply's web host like this site said
        (same like I posted before):

        http://ungrouply.wordpress.com/grouply-spam/

        Dwane
      • Rick Roberts
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 7, 2008
          Sic em my friend..tear em up.Glad to see someone going after them.

          Sipsey