Grouply spam

  • Dwane Harney
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 7, 2008
      I got a Grouply spam message from donvigo@... [donvigo AT web.de].
      Does anyone know who hosts the Grouply website? As of February 18,
      2008, their host was Bay Area Internet Solutions according to this
      website:

      http://ungrouply.wordpress.com/grouply-spam/

      I don't know if that has changed or not. Does anyone know how to find
      out?

      I'd like to complain to Grouply's web host and to spam@... [spam
      AT uce.gov] at the same time.

      Thanks,
      Dwane
    • Dwane Harney
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 7, 2008
        Here is part of the message headers from the email I received. I've
        added a space around some of the at signs ( @ ) so Yahoo Groups
        doesn't hide those domain names.

        Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 11:23:54 -0000
        From: "donvigo" <donvigo @ web.de>
        To: dwane413@...
        Subject: don wants to add you as a friend :)
        Sender: notify @ yahoogroups.com

        X-Yahoo-Post-IP is the IP address of the sender. A reverse DNS
        lookup shows the following:

        72.20.121.70 resolves to
        "72-20-121-070.BAYAREA.NET"
        Top Level Domain: "BAYAREA.NET"
        Country IP Address: UNITED STATES

        So this message was sent by Bay Area Internet Solutions. Some of
        these headers make it look like the message was sent through a Yahoo
        Group. It even says the X-Mailer was Yahoo Groups Message Poster. (X-
        Mailer tells what program was used to send the email. Such as
        Outlook Express, Thunderbird, etc.) This leads me to think Grouply
        is either forging the headers or Yahoo has set up a special way for
        Grouply to send these message.

        I forwarded the email to the following addresses:

        abuse@... [abuse AT bayarea.net]
        (reason: the IP address belongs to bayarea.net)
        abuse@... [abuse AT eGroups.com]
        (reason: the Message-ID had the eGroups.com domain)
        abuse@yahoogroups.com [abuse AT yahoogroups.com]
        (reason: Sender was notify @ yahoogroups.com)
        spam@... [spam AT uce.gov]
        (reason: that's where you report unwanted or deceptive spam to the
        Federal Trade Commision)

        Dwane
      • Dwane Harney
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 7, 2008
          --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "Dwane Harney"
          <dwane413@...> wrote:
          > So this message was sent by Bay Area Internet Solutions.

          Oops. That's not correct. Sorry. The message was sent by someone using
          a Bay Area Internet Solutions IP address. In other words, Bay Area
          Internet Solutions is still Grouply's web host like this site said
          (same like I posted before):

          http://ungrouply.wordpress.com/grouply-spam/

          Dwane
        • Rick Roberts
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 7, 2008
            Sic em my friend..tear em up.Glad to see someone going after them.

            Sipsey