Fibber McGee

  • Michael Ballard
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4, 2008
      I was happily listening to my Fibber McGee and Molly OTR series when -
      gasp - they dropped from a weekly 1/2 hour show to a 5x/week 15 minute
      show.

      Just a quick question: any reason why the change? And - were Fibber
      and Molly happy with it?

      -Mike B
    • Vincente Tobias
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2008
        Mike, this is my take on this particular phenomenon:

        According to Dunning, FM&M went to a 15m show on Oct.5, 1953, and it lasted
        until March 23, 1956. (They even did a 4minute show on NBC's weekend
        program "Monitor" in 1957-1959, though I suspect they were excerpts from
        their earlier shows). The early to mid fifties were the dying days of
        network drama-comedy shows and I suppose this was an attempt to
        habituate the audience to shorter but more frequently heard programs. I can
        vaguely remember the 15m FM&M show, because my closest friend at the time
        used to listen to it and I was often at his house (we were kids) when it
        was on. Other shows that went to that format around the same time were The
        Great Gildersleeve, Yours Truly Johnny Dollar, and even Bing Crosby! (There
        were probably others as well).

        Were the Jordans happy with it? Who knows. It probably was that or nothing.
        I seem to remember that Jim Jordan just before he died in 1988 (at the age
        of 91) denounced the show as a bunch of trivial nonsense (or even worse). It
        would be good to get some confirmation of that.

        Vince

        On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 6:27 PM, Michael Ballard <mpbotr@...> wrote:

        > I was happily listening to my Fibber McGee and Molly OTR series when -
        > gasp - they dropped from a weekly 1/2 hour show to a 5x/week 15 minute
        > show.
        >
        > Just a quick question: any reason why the change? And - were Fibber
        > and Molly happy with it?
        >
        > -Mike B

      • Vincente Tobias
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 4, 2008
          This is what Wikipedia has to say:

          Due in large part to Marian Jordan's periodic health problems, Fibber McGee
          and Molly became a 15-minute show in 1953, recorded before live audiences in
          single sessions, the better to enable Marian Jordan to rest. The timing was
          sadly appropriate, as classic radio had all but entered its dying days, and
          such shows would become sweet memories rather than continuing hits. Still,
          the McGees remained a favorite presence on radio, even though reduced to
          short segments on the NBC radio show Monitor�under the rubric Just Molly and
          Me�from 1957 to 1959.

          Vince