Re: Modern songs as radio dramas

  • mario_mot
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 31, 2008
      I would have said "Twilight Zone" by Rush, but they went the other
      way and based their story on the show. Other Rush songs that tell a
      story include "The Necromancer", "Cygnus X-1" and "Hemispheres", "Red
      Barchetta", and "2112". I don't think they would all make good radio
      programs, but 2112 definitely would.

      Mario

      --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip Pearson"
      <pnlp@...> wrote:

      > Howdy folks,
      >
      > As you all know, a lot of popular (and no so popular) songs tell
      > stories. Have any of you listened to a song and thought to
      > yourself "Man, this would make a good radio episode"? Here are a
      > couple that I have discovered:
      >
      > Hotel California by The Eagles - if this song were taken literally
      > and scripted, it would make an *excellent* Escape episode. "You can
      > check out any time you like, but you can never leave...."
      >
      > Space Oddity by David Bowie - I think this song has the outline for
      > good X-1 episode. It would need to be fleshed out to make good
      > dialogue, but that shouldn't be too hard.
      >
      > Twilight Zone by Golden Earring - Again, this story, translated
      > literally, would be an awesone suspense/mystery episode. Maybe a
      > Murder At Midnight type show.
      >
      > So, what do you guys think? Let's hear some of your favorite tunes
      > that would make good radio episodes.
      >
      > Phil

    • Vincente Tobias
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 1, 2008
        All these suggestions from Phil and others are TOO modern for me. Going
        back a bit:

        "If I knew you were coming I'd've baked a cake" could be a little drama for
        Mary Margaret McBride's show.
        "Baby, It's Cold Outside" could be a dramatization for the Frost Reports
        (They used to come on every evening at 8:00 pm on KFI in Los Angeles,
        cutting into the first five minutes of "One Man's Family.")
        "Battle Hymn of the Republic" could do as a little drama for Billy Graham's
        "Hour of Decision" or one of those type of shows.
        "Tubby the Tuba" dramatized as an interlude on the Metropolitan Opera
        Broadcasts.

        Hahahaha... what fun! LOL
        Vince

        On 3/25/08, Phillip Pearson <pnlp@...> wrote:

        > Howdy folks,
        >
        > As you all know, a lot of popular (and no so popular) songs tell
        > stories. Have any of you listened to a song and thought to
        > yourself "Man, this would make a good radio episode"? Here are a
        > couple that I have discovered:.....

      • Frank Porter
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 1, 2008
          Any one know where I can find Mary Margaret McBride's
          shows? Haven't thought about her for years.
          Frank
          --- Vincente Tobias <vincenteca@...> wrote:

          > All these suggestions from Phil and others are TOO
          > modern for me. Going
          > back a bit:
          >
          > "If I knew you were coming I'd've baked a cake"
          > could be a little drama for
          > Mary Margaret McBride's show.
          > "Baby, It's Cold Outside" could be a dramatization
          > for the Frost Reports
          > (They used to come on every evening at 8:00 pm on
          > KFI in Los Angeles,
          > cutting into the first five minutes of "One Man's
          > Family.")
          > "Battle Hymn of the Republic" could do as a little
          > drama for Billy Graham's
          > "Hour of Decision" or one of those type of shows.
          > "Tubby the Tuba" dramatized as an interlude on the
          > Metropolitan Opera
          > Broadcasts.
          >
          > Hahahaha... what fun! LOL
          > Vince
          >

          > On 3/25/08, Phillip Pearson <pnlp@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Howdy folks,
          > >
          > > As you all know, a lot of popular (and no so
          > popular) songs tell
          > > stories. Have any of you listened to a song and
          > thought to
          > > yourself "Man, this would make a good radio
          > episode"? Here are a
          > > couple that I have discovered:.....

          > removed]

          Backward, turn backward
          Oh time in your flight
          And make me a child again
          Just for tonight.

        • Vincente Tobias
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 1, 2008
            Sorry, Frank, I don't have any of MMMcBride's shows, but here are two sites
            you might find interesting.

            http://www.coutant.org/mcbride.html

            www.loc.gov/locvideo/052202ware/

            This second one is an interview with Susan Ware who wrote a book about
            MMMcBride. There is a video of Susan's speech to the Library of Congress
            with a short sound clip from MMMcBride's radio show and an interview with
            Talulah Bankhead. The Library of Congress has tapes of the McBride shows,
            but I have no idea how to access them.
            Vince

            On 4/1/08, Frank Porter <californiaokie2004@...> wrote:

            > Any one know where I can find Mary Margaret McBride's
            > shows? Haven't thought about her for years.
            > Frank

          • Kyle Jones
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 1, 2008
              2112 is based on Ayn Rand's Anthem, but perhaps you knew this already.
              It certainly would make a great show, it it hasn't been already.
            • Vincente Tobias
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 1, 2008
                Wow! I didn't know that. I am a big Ayn Rand fan. Where can I get this
                2112?
                Vince

                On 4/1/08, Kyle Jones <kyle@...> wrote:

                > 2112 is based on Ayn Rand's Anthem, but perhaps you knew this already.
                > It certainly would make a great show, it it hasn't been already.

              • Phillip Pearson
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 1, 2008
                  Hey Vince. Long time, no talk. I thought everyone knew "Hotel
                  California" ..... 8-)

                  2112 is a cool song. Rush is a cool band. I had no idea that it was
                  based on an Rand story.

                  Phil

                  Vincente Tobias wrote:
                  > All these suggestions from Phil and others are TOO modern for me. Going
                  > back a bit:
                  >
                  > "If I knew you were coming I'd've baked a cake" could be a little drama for
                  > Mary Margaret McBride's show.
                  > "Baby, It's Cold Outside" could be a dramatization for the Frost Reports
                  > (They used to come on every evening at 8:00 pm on KFI in Los Angeles,
                  > cutting into the first five minutes of "One Man's Family.")
                  > "Battle Hymn of the Republic" could do as a little drama for Billy Graham's
                  > "Hour of Decision" or one of those type of shows.
                  > "Tubby the Tuba" dramatized as an interlude on the Metropolitan Opera
                  > Broadcasts.
                  >
                  > Hahahaha... what fun! LOL
                  > Vince
                  >

                  > On 3/25/08, Phillip Pearson <pnlp@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> Howdy folks,
                  >>
                  >> As you all know, a lot of popular (and no so popular) songs tell
                  >> stories. Have any of you listened to a song and thought to
                  >> yourself "Man, this would make a good radio episode"? Here are a
                  >> couple that I have discovered:.....

                  Database version: 5.09520e
                  http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/
                • Frank Porter
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 1, 2008
                    Thank you! The minute I heard the sound clip with the
                    music and intro, I saw a Philco radio in our breakfast
                    room where I listed to the radio as a kid. I listened
                    to a book review on Mary Margaret at the LOC. The link
                    follows: http://www.loc.gov/locvideo/052202ware/
                    I highly recommend listening to the review by the
                    author. Now I definitely want to try to find her
                    shows. Thanks again Vincente.

                    --- Vincente Tobias <vincenteca@...> wrote:

                    > Sorry, Frank, I don't have any of MMMcBride's shows,
                    > but here are two sites
                    > you might find interesting.
                    >
                    > http://www.coutant.org/mcbride.html
                    >
                    > www.loc.gov/locvideo/052202ware/
                    >
                    > This second one is an interview with Susan Ware who
                    > wrote a book about
                    > MMMcBride. There is a video of Susan's speech to the
                    > Library of Congress
                    > with a short sound clip from MMMcBride's radio show
                    > and an interview with
                    > Talulah Bankhead. The Library of Congress has tapes
                    > of the McBride shows,
                    > but I have no idea how to access them.
                    > Vince
                    >
                    > On 4/1/08, Frank Porter
                    > <californiaokie2004@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Any one know where I can find Mary Margaret
                    > McBride's
                    > > shows? Haven't thought about her for years.
                    > > Frank

                    > removed]

                    Backward, turn backward
                    Oh time in your flight
                    And make me a child again
                    Just for tonight.

                  • Vincente Tobias
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 2, 2008
                      Hi, Phil. Tis true. I thought you were p-o'd at me, but I can't remember
                      why. How's life up in the frozen north?
                      Of course I know "Hotel California" but I thought I'd reach waaaaaayyyyy
                      back for this little game.
                      I'm going to try to find 2112 on Limewire or WinMX. I seldom indulge in
                      anything beyond 1973.
                      Vince

                      On 4/1/08, Phillip Pearson <pnlp@...> wrote:

                      > Hey Vince. Long time, no talk. I thought everyone knew "Hotel
                      > California" ..... 8-)
                      >
                      > 2112 is a cool song. Rush is a cool band. I had no idea that it was
                      > based on an Rand story.
                      >
                      > Phil

                      > .

                    • mario_mot
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 2, 2008
                        2112 is a song by the rock band Rush:

                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2112_(song)

                        Mario

                        --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "Vincente Tobias"

                      • illoman@att.net
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 2, 2008
                          I might add that I think this is Rush's masterpiece. A very moving story, and a warning about technology so encompassing our lives that simple things of beauty are left behind. I saw them perform it in concert once in the 70's.

                          Mike

                          --
                          -------------------------------------
                          I like long walks, especially when

                          From: mario_mot <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>

                          > 2112 is a song by the rock band Rush:
                          >
                          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2112_(song)
                          >
                          > Mario

                        • mario_mot
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 3, 2008
                            I'm getting off topic here, but...

                            You saw them in the 70s?!?! I am *SO* jealous! I've been a fan since
                            1979, but didn't get to see them until 1984. But at least I've seen
                            them on every tour since then (and I got tickets for this coming
                            June).

                            Mario

                            --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, illoman@... wrote:

                            > I might add that I think this is Rush's masterpiece. A very moving
                            story, and a warning about technology so encompassing our lives that
                            simple things of beauty are left behind. I saw them perform it in
                            concert once in the 70's.

                            > Mike
                            >
                            > --
                            > -------------------------------------
                            > I like long walks, especially when
                            > they are taken by people who annoy me.
                            > - Fred Allen

                            > From: mario_mot <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
                            > >
                            > > 2112 is a song by the rock band Rush:
                            > >
                            > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2112_(song)
                            > >
                            > > Mario

                          • Phillip Pearson
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 3, 2008
                              Why would I be angry with you, Vince? I don't have any reason to
                              dislike Canadians.....lately anyway.

                              Hey, you're not the bastard that ran over my cat are you? >:o

                              Phil :O)

                              Vincente Tobias wrote:
                              > Hi, Phil. Tis true. I thought you were p-o'd at me, but I can't remember
                              > why. How's life up in the frozen north?
                              > Of course I know "Hotel California" but I thought I'd reach waaaaaayyyyy
                              > back for this little game.
                              > I'm going to try to find 2112 on Limewire or WinMX. I seldom indulge in
                              > anything beyond 1973.
                              > Vince
                              >
                              > On 4/1/08, Phillip Pearson <pnlp@...> wrote:
                              >
                              >> Hey Vince. Long time, no talk. I thought everyone knew "Hotel
                              >> California" ..... 8-)
                              >>
                              >> 2112 is a cool song. Rush is a cool band. I had no idea that it was
                              >> based on an Rand story.
                              >>
                              >> Phil

                              >> .

                              Database version: 5.09550e
                              http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/
                            • VFelix
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 3, 2008
                                what does this shit have to do with old time radio...PLEASE!
                                2nd Vince

                                Phillip Pearson wrote:
                                > Why would I be angry with you, Vince? I don't have any reason to
                                > dislike Canadians.....lately anyway.
                                >
                                > Hey, you're not the bastard that ran over my cat are you? >:o
                                >
                                > Phil :O)
                                >
                                > Vincente Tobias wrote:
                                >> Hi, Phil. Tis true. I thought you were p-o'd at me, but I can't remember
                                >> why. How's life up in the frozen north?
                                >> Of course I know "Hotel California" but I thought I'd reach waaaaaayyyyy
                                >> back for this little game.
                                >> I'm going to try to find 2112 on Limewire or WinMX. I seldom indulge in
                                >> anything beyond 1973.
                                >> Vince
                                >>
                                >> On 4/1/08, Phillip Pearson <pnlp@...> wrote:
                                >>
                                >>> Hey Vince. Long time, no talk. I thought everyone knew "Hotel
                                >>> California" ..... 8-)
                                >>>
                                >>> 2112 is a cool song. Rush is a cool band. I had no idea that it was
                                >>> based on an Rand story.
                                >>>
                                >>> Phil

                                >>> .

                                > Database version: 5.09550e
                                > http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/

                              • john
                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 4, 2008
                                  Try listening to A-3 (Alabama 3 in England) sing their version of "Hotel California". It
                                  takes on a whole new creepy/spooky/scary feel.
                                  A-3's the group who's tunes were used as themes in The Sopranos.

                                  john

                                  In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, Phillip Pearson <pnlp@...> wrote:

                                  > Why would I be angry with you, Vince? I don't have any reason to
                                  > dislike Canadians.....lately anyway.
                                  >
                                  > Hey, you're not the bastard that ran over my cat are you? >:o
                                  >
                                  > Phil :O)
                                  >
                                  > Vincente Tobias wrote:
                                  > > Hi, Phil. Tis true. I thought you were p-o'd at me, but I can't remember
                                  > > why. How's life up in the frozen north?
                                  > > Of course I know "Hotel California" but I thought I'd reach waaaaaayyyyy
                                  > > back for this little game.
                                  > > I'm going to try to find 2112 on Limewire or WinMX. I seldom indulge in
                                  > > anything beyond 1973.
                                  > > Vince
                                  > >
                                  > > On 4/1/08, Phillip Pearson <pnlp@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > >> Hey Vince. Long time, no talk. I thought everyone knew "Hotel
                                  > >> California" ..... 8-)
                                  > >>
                                  > >> 2112 is a cool song. Rush is a cool band. I had no idea that it was
                                  > >> based on an Rand story.
                                  > >>
                                  > >> Phil

                                  > >> .

                                  > Database version: 5.09550e
                                  > http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/

                                • Curtis Ballard
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 4, 2008
                                    I can't believe nobody has mentioned some of my favorites:

                                    Purple People Eater
                                    Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini
                                    Does Your Chewing Gum Loose it's Flavor (On The Bedpost Overnight)
                                    Big Bad John
                                    A Boy Named Sue
                                    Splish Splash

                                    I could go on and on - lots of good stories in songs. I know these are
                                    mostly 60s but from my perspective anything newer than the radio shows
                                    in "modern".

                                    Curtis
                                  • illoman@att.net
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Apr 4, 2008
                                      Mario, I saw them on the Hemispheres tour, and it was amazing! Big screen behind them with outer space footage, laser lights, etc.. Great, great show.

                                      Mike

                                      --
                                      -------------------------------------

                                      From: mario_mot <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>

                                      > I'm getting off topic here, but...
                                      >
                                      > You saw them in the 70s?!?! I am *SO* jealous! I've been a fan since
                                      > 1979, but didn't get to see them until 1984. But at least I've seen
                                      > them on every tour since then (and I got tickets for this coming
                                      > June).
                                      >
                                      > Mario
                                    • john
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Apr 4, 2008
                                        Conversely,
                                        I was listening to Musssorgsky's "Night On Bald Mountain" this afternoon and caught theme
                                        to Escape. I started listing:
                                        Suspense
                                        The Shadow
                                        Quiet Please
                                        FBI In Peace & War
                                        Buck Rogers
                                        CPT Midnight
                                        Green Hornet
                                        Witches' Tale
                                        and, of course, The Lone Ranger, which used an enormous variety of Classical tunes in
                                        addition to the most famous radio theme of all time, Rossini's "William Tell Orverture".

                                        john
                                      • mjlyons2005
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Apr 7, 2008
                                          How about:

                                          "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" - Gordon Lightfoot (which was about a
                                          real incident)

                                          Mike