Re: Old Radio files in wav format

  • mitch68ca
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 12, 2008
      I agree with you, converting to AIFF only adds size, not quality. I
      only do it because the software I use is expecting master quality
      sound and does not take MP3. I'm not using it in a mastering type
      situation, so I generally keep my library as MP3 until needed and then
      convert to AIFF.

      There is a loss when converting between any two formats but generally
      speaking (there are exceptions) the loss is minute beyond belief. I've
      heard it said that digital dubs, dupes or conversions can go through
      hundreds of generation before you MIGHT start to hear or see a
      difference.

      Mitch

      --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, Steven Weyhrich
      <sdweyhrich@...> wrote:

      > Converting to AIFF does not improve the fidelity; it only multiplies
      > the file size by a factor of 10 (5 mb MP3 = 50 mb AIFF).
      >
      > Many newer audio file management programs (iTunes and others) will
      > allow you to burn an MP3 file to an audio CD in a single step. Unless
      > you are fortunate enough to obtain an audio file in AIFF (or some
      > other lossless format) to begin with, up-converting to a higher bit
      > rate does nothing for the sound quality, but does make it bigger.
      >
      > There are differences of opinion as to whether converting from MP3 to
      > AAC and back again loses more data (and therefore sound quality). I
      > have people who are supposed to know who insist that every conversion
      > throws data away. However, I have taken an audio track as a 128 kbps
      > MP3, converted it to a 160 kbps AAC, and then back to the 128 kbps
      > MP3, and so on several times. My ears cannot hear a difference between
      > the first file and last file. Or, if there IS a difference, it is so
      > little that it makes no difference.
      >
      > Much different than the hiss introduced by multiple generations of
      > tape-to-tape dubbing... :-)
      > Steven Weyhrich <IX0YE>--<
      > Apple II History
      > http://apple2history.org
      >
      > > Posted by: "mitch68ca" yahoo@... mitch68ca Tue Mar 11, 2008
      > > 9:58 am (PDT)
      > > I agree, it's not a huge problem. For me, once I convert something, I
      > > have no use for the original so I delete it. No big deal usually.
      > >
      > > I have a very large audio library for work most of which I will likely
      > > never need. My current work audio drive is an almost full 500gb drive.
      > > Material usually comes to me as MP3 and I keep it that way to save
      > > space until I need it. Then I convert to AIFF and delete the MP3.
      > >
      > > Mitch

    • Caitlyn
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 15, 2008
        Thanks everyone for those replies! David, Susan, Paul, etc...
        I have Switch downloaded & saved & have been using it alot, it's a
        magnificent application, David! I have only found Real Player files
        don't work with that system. I always get error messages stating that
        I need to install RAM, which to me is silly, so I skip RPA files at
        all costs. But the files in WAV seem to convert easily & the old
        radio shows I was having difficulty in converting have been since
        converted successfully. Thanks again, for all that replied to my
        post regarding this.

        Caitlyn
      • Caitlyn
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 15, 2008
          Hi Bill,

          Yes, I know about that site, it's the one I've had the best luck with.
          It's efficient & simple. thanks, an excellent recommendation for sure!

          Caitlyn
        • W. David Lichty
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 17, 2008
            Since you've got wav converting covered, you might try the RaWav Recorder,
            downloadable via a link near the bottom of this page:

            http://rawavrecorder.homestead.com/

            You just paste the URL to the RealAudio file into it, and it plays the
            track, creating a wav of it. Simple, and works quite well. Just in case
            there is something exclusive to RealAudio.

            --

            - W. David Lichty

          • Paul Mannering
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 17, 2008
              Ooh thats good to know.

              I loathe RealAudio and its spyware infested nastiness.

              On 17/03/2008, W. David Lichty <este.spouse@...> wrote:

              > Since you've got wav converting covered, you might try the RaWav
              > Recorder,
              > downloadable via a link near the bottom of this page:
              >
              > http://rawavrecorder.homestead.com/
              >
              > You just paste the URL to the RealAudio file into it, and it plays the
              > track, creating a wav of it. Simple, and works quite well. Just in case
              > there is something exclusive to RealAudio.
              >
              > --
              >
              > - W. David Lichty

              paul@...
              www.brokensea.com Guerrilla Audio
              "And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming"
              Blog: www.darkininc.brokensea.net