Re: Great OTR BT site

  • dal3856
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 18, 2008
      --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, Kinney Baughman
      <baughmankr@...> wrote:

      > Bill Dennehy wrote:
      > > Hi folks!
      > > This is a great bit torrent site for OTR and contemporary BBC
      drama,
      > > SF, mysteries etc.... Check it out.
      > >
      > > http://radioarchive.cc/index.php
      > >
      > > If you don't do bit torrent I'm going to start some OTR dvd
      vines of
      > > the material I have DL as well.
      > > Anyone know of other bit torrent sites for OTR?
      >
      > As a matter of fact, I have been working on a tracker that will be
      > devoted to OTR. Other projects got in the way before I launched
      it but
      > I should have it up soon. When it goes up, it will be another
      piece of
      > the Share'n'Trade Board.
      >
      > There hasn't been a lot of talk about Bit Torrent on the OTR sites
      so I
      > guess that's one reason why I haven't been pushing myself to
      finish the
      > project. But with so many other options going away for us,
      perhaps now
      > is the time.
      >
      > For those of you not familiar with Bittorrent, it's a peer to peer
      > network that requires you to install a Bittorrent program on your
      PC.
      > There are number of them out there. Utorrent has been the best
      Windows
      > client I've used. But once you have the client/program installed,
      you
      > go to a publicly viewable website, find a file you'd like to
      download
      > and click on the link. No logins. No passwords. It's not as
      fast as
      > FTP or the filesharing sites like Sendspace so patience is a
      virtue. So
      > you have to get used to choosing your files and then just walking
      away
      > from your computer and let it do its thing. Usually within a few
      hours
      > you'll have the file on your computer. You can queue up dozens and
      > dozens of files at a time. The only limitation is your harddrive
      space
      > and bandwidth. It works best on broadband connections.
      >
      > The downside is that someone in the "swarm" (all the people
      downloading
      > a specific file) must have a complete version of the file, called a
      > "seed", to insure that everyone gets a complete copy of the file.
      But
      > with a tight community like we have here, that shouldn't be too
      much of
      > a problem after a critical mass of users is established.
      >
      > The rule of thumb is to keep sharing your downloaded file until you
      > achieve a "share ratio" of at least 1.0. If everyone does that
      all the
      > time, the "seed" will always stay alive.
      >
      > I'll keep you posted when I'm ready to roll it out.
      >
      > Cheers!
      >
      > Kinney
      > Janitor, Share'n'Trade Board

      I use Utorrent 1.6(build 474). It included a drop down list of
      torrent search sites but two of them no longer work. I added these
      sites(note the vertical bar | in front of http).

      Btjunkie|http://btjunkie.org/search?query=

      Torrentreactor|http://www.torrentreactor.net/search.php?
      search=&words=

      Torrentportal|http://www.torrentportal.com/torrents-search.php?
      search=

      Torrentbox|http://www.torrentbox.com/torrents-search.php?search=

      Copy and paste them to:

      Options/Preferences/Advanced/User Interface/Search Engines then
      click OK.

      dal3856
    • dal3856
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 18, 2008
        --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, dal3856 <no_reply@...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        > all the
        > > time, the "seed" will always stay alive.
        > >
        > > I'll keep you posted when I'm ready to roll it out.
        > >
        > > Cheers!
        > >
        > > Kinney
        > > Janitor, Share'n'Trade Board
        > >
        > I use Utorrent 1.6(build 474). It included a drop down list of
        > torrent search sites but two of them no longer work. I added these
        > sites(note the vertical bar | in front of http).
        >
        > Btjunkie|http://btjunkie.org/search?query=
        >
        > Torrentreactor|http://www.torrentreactor.net/search.php?
        > search=&words=
        >
        > Torrentportal|http://www.torrentportal.com/torrents-search.php?
        > search=
        >
        > Torrentbox|http://www.torrentbox.com/torrents-search.php?search=
        >
        > Copy and paste them to:
        >
        > Options/Preferences/Advanced/User Interface/Search Engines then

        Be sure to copy the full name of the engine including everything to
        the left of the vertical bar and ending with the last equal sign =.

        dal3856
      • dal3856
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 18, 2008
          wrote:

> [...]
          > > > Janitor, Share'n'Trade Board
          > > >
          > > I use Utorrent 1.6(build 474). It included a drop down list of
          > > torrent search sites but two of them no longer work. I added
          these
          > > sites(note the vertical bar | in front of http).
          > >
          > > Btjunkie|http://btjunkie.org/search?query=
          > >
          > > Torrentreactor|http://www.torrentreactor.net/search.php?
          > > search=&words=
          > >
          > > Torrentportal|http://www.torrentportal.com/torrents-search.php?
          > > search=
          > >
          > > Torrentbox|http://www.torrentbox.com/torrents-search.php?search=
          > >
          > > Copy and paste them to:
          > >
          > > Options/Preferences/Advanced/User Interface/Search Engines then
          > > click OK.
          > >
          > > dal3856
          > >

          > Be sure to copy the full name of the engine including everything
          > the left of the vertical bar and ending with the last equal sign =.

          I added the radioarchive search engine to my Utorrent list of search
          engines.

          RadioArchive.cc|http://radioarchive.cc/torrents-search.php?search=

          dal3856
        • Becky Petersen
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 18, 2008
            I'm very interested in being a seeder or helping out here however I can.

            Becky

            _____

            > This is a great bit torrent site for OTR and contemporary BBC drama,
            > SF, mysteries etc.... Check it out.
            >
            > http://radioarchive <http://radioarchive.cc/index.php> .cc/index.php
            >
            > If you don't do bit torrent I'm going to start some OTR dvd vines of
            > the material I have DL as well.
            > Anyone know of other bit torrent sites for OTR?

            As a matter of fact, I have been working on a tracker that will be
            devoted to OTR. Other projects got in the way before I launched it but
            I should have it up soon. When it goes up, it will be another piece of
            the Share'n'Trade Board.

            There hasn't been a lot of talk about Bit Torrent on the OTR sites so I
            guess that's one reason why I haven't been pushing myself to finish the
            project. But with so many other options going away for us, perhaps now
            is the time.

            For those of you not familiar with Bittorrent, it's a peer to peer
            network that requires you to install a Bittorrent program on your PC.
            There are number of them out there. Utorrent has been the best Windows
            client I've used. But once you have the client/program installed, you
            go to a publicly viewable website, find a file you'd like to download
            and click on the link. No logins. No passwords. It's not as fast as
            FTP or the filesharing sites like Sendspace so patience is a virtue. So
            you have to get used to choosing your files and then just walking away
            from your computer and let it do its thing. Usually within a few hours
            you'll have the file on your computer. You can queue up dozens and
            dozens of files at a time. The only limitation is your harddrive space
            and bandwidth. It works best on broadband connections.

            The downside is that someone in the "swarm" (all the people downloading
            a specific file) must have a complete version of the file, called a
            "seed", to insure that everyone gets a complete copy of the file. But
            with a tight community like we have here, that shouldn't be too much of
            a problem after a critical mass of users is established.

            The rule of thumb is to keep sharing your downloaded file until you
            achieve a "share ratio" of at least 1.0. If everyone does that all the
            time, the "seed" will always stay alive.

            I'll keep you posted when I'm ready to roll it out.

            Cheers!

            Kinney
            Janitor, Share'n'Trade Board

          • Bill Dennehy
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 18, 2008
              It's not as fast as
              > FTP or the filesharing sites like Sendspace so patience is a virtue.

              ???? I find it MUCh faster than FTP or Sendspace. Maybe it's your
              configuration? Are you firewalled? Of course it depends on how many
              seeders/leechers there are in a given torrent. If you webseed as I do
              it's VERY fast. I Dl a complete set of JTJD in under an hour (over 4 GB).

              So
              > you have to get used to choosing your files and then just walking away
              > from your computer and let it do its thing. Usually within a few hours
              > you'll have the file on your computer. You can queue up dozens and
              > dozens of files at a time. The only limitation is your harddrive space
              > and bandwidth. It works best on broadband connections.

              and seeders/leechers ratio, that's more important than the abovementioned.

              > The downside is that someone in the "swarm" (all the people downloading
              > a specific file) must have a complete version of the file, called a
              > "seed", to insure that everyone gets a complete copy of the file.

              Torrents are typically fastest at the midway point, the beginnings and
              endings are always slower as that data is the most scarce.

              But
              > with a tight community like we have here, that shouldn't be too much of
              > a problem after a critical mass of users is established.
              >
              > The rule of thumb is to keep sharing your downloaded file until you
              > achieve a "share ratio" of at least 1.0. If everyone does that all the
              > time, the "seed" will always stay alive.

              Be sure to forward your ports and configure your firewall.

              www.portforward.com

              bill

              > I'll keep you posted when I'm ready to roll it out.
              >
              > Cheers!
              >
              > Kinney
              > Janitor, Share'n'Trade Board

            • Kinney Baughman
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 18, 2008
                Bill Dennehy wrote:
                > It's not as fast as
                >> FTP or the filesharing sites like Sendspace so patience is a virtue.
                >
                > ???? I find it MUCh faster than FTP or Sendspace. Maybe it's your
                > configuration? Are you firewalled? Of course it depends on how many
                > seeders/leechers there are in a given torrent. If you webseed as I do
                > it's VERY fast. I Dl a complete set of JTJD in under an hour (over 4 GB).

                True. If there are a lot of seeders/leechers then things can go quite
                fast. I guess I'm usually going after more obscure stuff with only a
                handful, at best, seeders and leechers thus my comment.

                But you're right. When I download last night's Daily Show or other
                popular TV shows that we don't get, things come down quite fast.

                That's one reason why I thought a dedicated Bit Torrent site might turn
                out to be a valuable service for the OTR community. If we got enough
                people on board, we could dramatically change the way we share files.

                Imagine posting a URL to the group here, having people click on it while
                reading the message and having the file start downloading automatically
                through your bittorrent client which is always running in the
                background. No more logging into a site and waiting 60 seconds before
                your download starts.

                It really is a neat technology combining the best of the web and peer to
                peer networks into one (kind of) service.

                Cheers!

                Kinney
                Janitor, Share'n'Trade Board
              • Bill Dennehy
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 18, 2008
                  Why start another one though? There's already a great one here:

                  http://radioarchive.cc/index.php

                  You could seed shows there...

                  > That's one reason why I thought a dedicated Bit Torrent site might turn
                  > out to be a valuable service for the OTR community. If we got enough
                  > people on board, we could dramatically change the way we share files.

                  Cheops already has 1394 members.

                  > Imagine posting a URL to the group here, having people click on it while
                  > reading the message and having the file start downloading automatically
                  > through your bittorrent client which is always running in the
                  > background. No more logging into a site and waiting 60 seconds before
                  > your download starts.

                  60 seconds??? Are you in a hurry or what? I've already DL enough OTR
                  in 2 days to last me a year. My webseeder, and your uTorrent shouldn't
                  take 60 secs to start, and even if it does, is that so long?

                  bill

                  > It really is a neat technology combining the best of the web and peer to
                  > peer networks into one (kind of) service.
                  >
                  > Cheers!
                  >
                  > Kinney
                  > Janitor, Share'n'Trade Board

                • Kinney Baughman
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 18, 2008
                    Bill Dennehy wrote:
                    > Why start another one though? There's already a great one here:
                    >
                    > http://radioarchive.cc/index.php
                    >
                    > You could seed shows there...

                    True. I started writing the tracker before his site came up and just
                    never quite finished it. From the beginning, I had my tracker divided
                    up by series to make it easier to find the shows you're looking for.

                    Plus, I thought Cheops primary focus was BBC shows. At least that's
                    what he says in his mission statement.

                    >> Imagine posting a URL to the group here, having people click on it while
                    >> reading the message and having the file start downloading automatically
                    >> through your bittorrent client which is always running in the
                    >> background. No more logging into a site and waiting 60 seconds before
                    >> your download starts.
                    >

                    > 60 seconds??? Are you in a hurry or what? I've already DL enough OTR
                    > in 2 days to last me a year. My webseeder, and your uTorrent shouldn't
                    > take 60 secs to start, and even if it does, is that so long?

                    I was talking about the lag at SendSpace. I was forever getting
                    distracted waiting for the 60 seconds to come around before I could
                    actually start downloading the file only to have the link expire. No
                    big deal. Just an aggravating nit. I was admittedly too obscure in my
                    reference.

                    --
                    Kinney
                    Janitor, Share'n'Trade
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 18, 2008
                      My husband and sons already use BitTorrent, so I'm somewhat familiar with
                      it. We have to fight over bandwidth space, but I'll gladly help out seeding.
                      There doesn't seem to be a whole of OTR that I still need..been listening to
                      the Whistler all day while I sew (off and on) on my mp3 player.

                      Becky

                      _____

                      > Why start another one though? There's already a great one here:
                      >
                      > http://radioarchive <http://radioarchive.cc/index.php> .cc/index.php
                      >
                      > You could seed shows there...

                      True. I started writing the tracker before his site came up and just
                      never quite finished it. From the beginning, I had my tracker divided
                      up by series to make it easier to find the shows you're looking for.

                      Plus, I thought Cheops primary focus was BBC shows. At least that's
                      what he says in his mission statement.

                      >> Imagine posting a URL to the group here, having people click on it while
                      >> reading the message and having the file start downloading automatically
                      >> through your bittorrent client which is always running in the
                      >> background. No more logging into a site and waiting 60 seconds before
                      >> your download starts.
                      >

                      > 60 seconds??? Are you in a hurry or what? I've already DL enough OTR
                      > in 2 days to last me a year. My webseeder, and your uTorrent shouldn't
                      > take 60 secs to start, and even if it does, is that so long?

                      I was talking about the lag at SendSpace. I was forever getting
                      distracted waiting for the 60 seconds to come around before I could
                      actually start downloading the file only to have the link expire. No
                      big deal. Just an aggravating nit. I was admittedly too obscure in my
                      reference.

                      --
                      Kinney
                      Janitor, Share'n'Trade

                    • string man

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 18, 2008
                          Thanks so much for this link, it is a great site with lots of good stuff.
                          --
                          *Soli Deo Gloria! *
                          *For the Glory of God Alone*

                          Catherine
                        • dal3856
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 18, 2008
                            --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, string man <stringwme@...>
                            wrote:

                            > How can I hear these files I've downloaded? They appear to be
                            something other than an mp3 which I can play fine.

                            What kind of file did you download? If it has a .torrent file
                            extension, then you need to open it with BitTorrent, Utorrent or one of
                            the other torrent clients. I use Utorrent.

                            http://www.utorrent.com/

                            Help is located in the Guides section of their site.

                            dal3856