Re: Your first brush with OTR?

  • Rick Roberts
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 15, 2007
      Hi Pat

      Mine was being a comic book fan in the mid 60s and getting some of the
      early fanzines done then...saw an ad for a place that had my other
      favorite subject....science fiction..on 5 in reel to reels...some
      strange thing from radio called X Minus One and Dimension One...shows
      done on radio..what that? All I could pick up on my transistor was the
      Beatles.....got a few and was hooled...sadly my allowance at the time
      didn't offer me the chance to get many..but I would pour over the
      catalog looking at the titles...I never forgot..then mp3s and the whole
      otr world was open to me...shortly afterward finding this group...my
      first Yahoo group. I do remember going thru some of my grandparents old
      newspapers(depression generation..they threw away very little) and
      seeing the radio listings...wow..I just missed the tail end of
      it..actually being born in 53 I probably heard some shows live but just
      don't remember them..

      Best
      Sipsey

      --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, old_radios <no_reply@...>
      wrote:

      > I was wondering what first got you into Old Time Radio? Was it a show
      > you heard when you were young on a nostalgia show like "when Radio
      > Was"? Is it that you were around when radio shows were the main
      > entertainment and you still love the shows?
      >
      > I know a lot of younger members probably first heard OTR on a
      > satellite channel (ironic, isn't it?) or by hearing CBS Radio Mystery
      > Theater at night.
      >

      > Pat

    • Larry Maupin
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 15, 2007
        I'm old enough to remember a lot of OTR shows from
        back when they were first being broadcast, but my
        first brush as an adult came in 1983. I obtained the
        addresses of ten OTR dealers and wrote them asking for
        catalogs. All ten responded, but other things in life
        took precedence and I didn't get back to OTR for a
        long time.

        In the fall of 2000, I was cleaning out my basement
        and found a paper bag containing everything the
        dealers had sent me seventeen years earlier. The bag
        and its contents had survived two changes of
        residence. So I wrote all ten dealers again. Four or
        five replied, and I placed orders with three of them,
        becoming a very steady customer of one for several
        years. Also I soon discovered Radio Spirits and
        SPERDVAC, which have been sources of a great many
        shows for me.

        So I missed out on seventeen years of enjoying this
        wonderful pastime. Late to dinner, you might say.
        But I made it in time for the main course, which has
        been fit for a king!

        Larry

        --- old_radios <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        > I was wondering what first got you into Old Time
        > Radio? Was it a show
        > you heard when you were young on a nostalgia show
        > like "when Radio
        > Was"? Is it that you were around when radio shows
        > were the main
        > entertainment and you still love the shows?
        >
        > I know a lot of younger members probably first heard
        > OTR on a
        > satellite channel (ironic, isn't it?) or by hearing
        > CBS Radio Mystery
        > Theater at night.
        >

        > Pat

      • Robert M. Bratcher Jr.
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 15, 2007
          At 09:31 AM 9/15/2007, you wrote:

          >I was wondering what first got you into Old Time Radio? Was it a show
          >you heard when you were young on a nostalgia show like "when Radio
          >Was"? Is it that you were around when radio shows were the main
          >entertainment and you still love the shows?
          >
          >I know a lot of younger members probably first heard OTR on a
          >satellite channel (ironic, isn't it?) or by hearing CBS Radio Mystery
          >Theater at night.
          >
          >Pat

          It was either Radio Mystery Theater or a cassette tape I bought in a
          store during the 1970's.
        • Doug
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 15, 2007
            old_radios wrote:
            > I was wondering what first got you into Old Time Radio? Was it a show
            > you heard when you were young on a nostalgia show like "when Radio
            > Was"? Is it that you were around when radio shows were the main
            > entertainment and you still love the shows?
            >
            > I know a lot of younger members probably first heard OTR on a
            > satellite channel (ironic, isn't it?) or by hearing CBS Radio Mystery
            > Theater at night.
            >

            > Pat

            What got me into OTR, hmm I can't remember. :) Ah, I just remembered, I
            started looking for Audio drama because I got an mp3 player and I just
            didn't care for music on it. Than I started a search to see if there was
            audio drama that I could use, on my bus trip to work I would liek
            stories better.

            At first I just searched first I just started looking for Fan Fiction of
            Star Trek and I found a ton load. Than I ran across OTR on some site and
            instantly loved it. I've been listening to OTR ever since. I always have
            loved the good old days I even get the magazine by that title. I mostly
            have OTR on my mp3 player there is so much. My favorite is all of it. :)

            Doug
          • uncledugley
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 16, 2007
              In the early 80s I happened on a NPR Program called "The Incredible
              Adventures of Jack Flanders". I could not wait until the following week
              to hear what happened to Jack. One late evening I was listening to "The
              Larry King Radio Show" when he had a guest from SPERVAC telling of their
              organization - I joined - and the rest is history.

              Bob
            • Jasper Frost
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 16, 2007
                wrote:

                > I was wondering what first got you into Old Time Radio? Was it a show
                > you heard when you were young on a nostalgia show like "when Radio
                > Was"? Is it that you were around when radio shows were the main
                > entertainment and you still love the shows?
                >
                > I know a lot of younger members probably first heard OTR on a
                > satellite channel (ironic, isn't it?) or by hearing CBS Radio Mystery
                > Theater at night.
                >

                > Pat

                Mine: Was staying with my aunt and uncle. He had some tapes of the
                Shadow show, and I got into listening to them. Fell in love with
                these shows, and started to investigate radio shows in general. Love
                all of them, but my all time top favorites would be:
                1. the Shadow
                2. X-Minus-One
                3. Charlie Chan
                4. The Avenger
                5. The Blue Beatle.
                Good Question.
                Thanks for your time.
                Jasper
              • GEORGIA WRIGHT
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 16, 2007
                  My first intro to OTR was about 30 years ago. A friend loaned me an LP of Sherlock Holmes radio shows. I didn't know where to find other shows until about 10 years later I found a cassett tape of The Shadow shows. I found a couple of companies who sold OTR and was able to buy a few more tapes. Now that OTR is on the internet I am discovering more and more shows. I enjoy listening to OTR so much!!
                  Georgia

                • Charles Bryant
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 16, 2007
                    My first experience with OTR was 30+ years ago. WJOY, in Burlington,
                    VT, used to run OTR at 7:15AM during weekday mornings. It was a great
                    way to start the morning! Normally, it was The Lone Ranger or The Green
                    Hornet (two of my still-favorites). Oddly, I don't recall any of the
                    comedy shows.
                  • richard jessen
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 16, 2007
                      I must admit to being a late comer to old time radio. I first joined up, like everyone did at the time, with Radio Yesteryear which was spearheaded by a fellow named Goldin who was called "the man who saved old time radio." I had a bad run-in with the man recently and will not discuss this with anyone. I purchased the LP's he had, then went away for personal problems I was going through at the time which are too horrible to mention publicly.
                      Then I got involved again in the middle 1980s again with Radio Yesteryear and an outfit which was run by a ventriloquist and went crazy over "Gunsmoke." That was over with until about three years ago when I looked and went into the Net to find out who would have the shows. Although I personally would love to hear more of the music programs than the average collector, reality hits in with the cruel fact that even trading is full of sharks and that the most inviting items musically speaking are always used as bait for people such as myself.
                      My personal library is now really huge yet I would still love to hear more of the music of the era. Shows like "Big City Serenade,""Americana<" and others are among those wanted but probably will never hear at all. What is the saying..."There's always a reason for not getting what you want."
                      Richard

                      Charles Bryant <nachtswerg@...> wrote:
                      My first experience with OTR was 30+ years ago. WJOY, in Burlington,
                      VT, used to run OTR at 7:15AM during weekday mornings. It was a great
                      way to start the morning! Normally, it was The Lone Ranger or The Green
                      Hornet (two of my still-favorites). Oddly, I don't recall any of the
                      comedy shows.

                    • Paul Manuel
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 16, 2007
                        --- old_radios <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                        > I know a lot of younger members probably first heard OTR on a
                        > satellite channel (ironic, isn't it?) or by hearing CBS Radio Mystery
                        > Theater at night.

                        I know that a lot of group members like the CBS Radio Mystery Theatre, but
                        that show gave me the impression that I would NOT like OTR.

                        I was 20 years old and working at a radio station. Part of my job was to
                        put the Mystery Theatre on the air each night. I now know the two reasons
                        I did not like it...I was young, and it was an hour long.

                        When I got my XM radio and discovered true OTR episodes, I was delighted
                        to find they are generally 30 minutes in length. That's the perfect time
                        frame for "Theatre of the Mind," in my opinion, and I now have many shows
                        I enjoy.--Paul M.

                        Got a little couch potato?
                      • Bill and Sue-On Hillman
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 16, 2007
                          I have fond memories of listening to radio shows in the late '40s and '50s
                          before TV. Our family would gather around the large living room set and
                          listen to shows in the evening - Jack Benny, Edgar Bergen, Lux Theatre etc.
                          . . . and the radio would be on all day, tuned in to breakfast shows, soaps,
                          CBC and live music. After school I looked forward to the adventure shows
                          such as The Lone Ranger, Sergeant Preston, Suspense, Sky King, Tom Corbett,
                          X-One, Dimension X, Gene Autry, etc.

                          A particular favourite was Tarzan and I went on to persue my love of the
                          creations of Edgar Rice Burroughs. Later in an ERB fanzine I saw an ad for
                          77 episodes of the 1932 Tarzan serial which I purchased and I then went on
                          to trade this for thousands more shows on reel-to-reel tapes in the '60s.
                          http://www.erbzine.com/mag0/0011.html
                          I later met the stars of that radio series in Tarzana, CA and this added to
                          the excitement of the hobby.

                          Later, during some of our music tours during which we did many promotional
                          interviews at radio stations I added many hundreds of ETs to my collection.
                          Now with the ease of collecting via MP3s on the Internet I will probably
                          leave my old reels and discs in storage rather than starting the massive
                          task of dubbing to a digital format.

                          Bill Hillman
                          Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
                          www.HillmanWeb.com
                          Webmaster and Editor for the Official Edgar Rice Burroughs Websites and
                          Webzines:
                          www.ERBzine.com
                          www.Tarzan.com
                        • Joe Mackey
                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 16, 2007
                            Pat queried --

                            > I was wondering what first got you into Old Time Radio?

                            The one-eyed monster arrived in my family's living room in 1948, the
                            second tv sold here. This was some months before the station even went
                            on the air. So, growing up in the '50s it was tv, not radio. Radio was
                            forgotten about by my family. I do recall passing through the kitchen
                            as a kid and my mother listening to some washboard weeper.
                            I was sorry I had missed radio and believed it was over and gone.
                            Since it was all live, it was lost. (I had no idea of ETs, air checks,
                            etc). I read about the old stars and of course many of them were on tv
                            at one time or another (Benny, Durante, Lucy, etc), so I knew them more
                            from tv than radio.
                            In the '60s and 70s I would catch a odd show or two every now and
                            then. (CBSRMT was in the middle of the night and usually some station
                            so distant it couldn't be listened to for the static). In the early
                            '80s a local AM sometimes played otr shows on Sunday evenings, but not
                            on any regular schedule it seemed. Some Sunday nights they had it, some
                            they didn't.
                            In the mid-80s When Radio Was popped up on a station from 5-6. I
                            invested in a dual cassette radio and started collecting. Later that
                            was changed from 9-10 a.m. so I invested in a radio with dual cassette
                            and a clock and 120 tapes...)
                            In the late '80s I was online and on Quantum Link. There was a OTR
                            forum and began to learn more and found out about SPERDVAC and joined
                            right away and really started collecting. A few years later I found out
                            about ORCA and raided that library.
                            In the late '90s otr started popping up on the Net. I downloaded
                            those shows, but no CD burner, so I taped the shows off the HD. It
                            wasn't until the early 2000's I figured .mp3 was here to stay and was
                            collecting like mad. There were FTP sites that came and went and in '01
                            I went on cable, mostly for fast d/l of shows, since a popular ftp site
                            may or not be there tomorrow. I also started getting more selective.
                            Instead of getting as many shows as possible I started working on
                            various series and getting all those shows.
                            From catching a show every now and then I now have 1000s of shows on
                            hundreds of CDs.
                            Now the table has turned in my case and the boob tube is forgotten
                            and again radio reigns! I have many of my shows arranged by the day
                            they originally aired so shows that were on Monday are listened to on
                            Monday, Tuesday's shows on Tuesday, etc. I don't have time for the
                            one-eye monster any longer... :)
                            Joe

                            --
                            Visit my homepage: http://members.tripod.com/~HomeSweetHomepage/index.html
                          • datten10@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 16, 2007
                              Hello,

                              I know I haven't had much to say, mostly I read and learn. And with dial up
                              I can't really download all the fine programs I read about, but I use ebay.
                              And can sometimes listen to online radio stations like bbc7.

                              My first brush with OTR was in the early 70's. I went to a garage sale with
                              my mom and bought an old am radio about the size of a shoe box. If I put it
                              in my bedroom window and didn't move around it too much I could get a couple
                              of stations in. One played the Lone Ranger on Sunday nights. In the 90's I
                              discovered that they had some old radio shows in the upstairs of the library
                              that they would go find if you asked. Now with the internet I can buy whole
                              series at a time. Since they are all new to me, I love them. My dad will
                              listen to them in my car with me when we go for groceries and I know that he
                              won't mind waiting a bit if I have to run into a craft store. He just listens
                              while I'm gone and loves it. Now if I could just get him to actually turn
                              on his computer and listen to some of my cds.

                              Melinda

                            • Rick Roberts
                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 16, 2007
                                Lots of folks love this show but its never been on my favorite
                                lists...I did listen to some live at the time but wasn't all that
                                thrilled with it. It is otr that hooked me..Ntr just wasn't the same.

                                Best
                                Sipsey

                                --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, Paul Manuel <k4pdm@...>

                                ______________
                                > Got a little couch potato?
                                > http://search.yahoo.com/search?
                                fr=oni_on_mail&p=summer+activities+for+kids&cs=bz

                              • Rick Roberts
                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 16, 2007
                                  Great story. You may have eps others don't since they are reel to
                                  reel..there are a few Yahoo groups who encode new shows from
                                  tape...in other words..shows that are not on mp3 yet...you might want
                                  to donate to them. Gordon Whitman runs one that I know of and OTRR
                                  another...you might wish to contact them if you decide to get rid of
                                  them.

                                  Best
                                  Sipsey

                                  --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "Bill and Sue-On Hillman"
                                  <hillmans@...> wrote:

                                  > I have fond memories of listening to radio shows in the late '40s
                                  and '50s
                                  > before TV. Our family would gather around the large living room set
                                  and
                                  > listen to shows in the evening - Jack Benny, Edgar Bergen, Lux
                                  Theatre etc.
                                  > . . . and the radio would be on all day, tuned in to breakfast
                                  shows, soaps,
                                  > CBC and live music. After school I looked forward to the adventure
                                  shows
                                  > such as The Lone Ranger, Sergeant Preston, Suspense, Sky King, Tom
                                  Corbett,
                                  > X-One, Dimension X, Gene Autry, etc.
                                  >
                                  > A particular favourite was Tarzan and I went on to persue my love
                                  of the
                                  > creations of Edgar Rice Burroughs. Later in an ERB fanzine I saw an
                                  ad for
                                  > 77 episodes of the 1932 Tarzan serial which I purchased and I then
                                  went on
                                  > to trade this for thousands more shows on reel-to-reel tapes in
                                  the '60s.
                                  > http://www.erbzine.com/mag0/0011.html
                                  > I later met the stars of that radio series in Tarzana, CA and this
                                  added to
                                  > the excitement of the hobby.
                                  >
                                  > Later, during some of our music tours during which we did many
                                  promotional
                                  > interviews at radio stations I added many hundreds of ETs to my
                                  collection.
                                  > Now with the ease of collecting via MP3s on the Internet I will
                                  probably
                                  > leave my old reels and discs in storage rather than starting the
                                  massive
                                  > task of dubbing to a digital format.
                                  >
                                  > Bill Hillman
                                  > Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
                                  > www.HillmanWeb.com
                                  > Webmaster and Editor for the Official Edgar Rice Burroughs Websites
                                  and
                                  > Webzines:
                                  > www.ERBzine.com
                                  > www.Tarzan.com

                                • Rick Roberts
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 16, 2007
                                    Hi

                                    Love all these great stories....I'm on dialup also but don't let that
                                    throw you off...I have thousands I've downloaded...if you just do one
                                    at a time youd be surprised how many youll have within a few months.
                                    There are a lot of folks who will trade with you without having to
                                    buy them..just ask the group. There are also otr distro groups where
                                    you can get discs full of them if you just have a burner to copy the
                                    discs.

                                    Best
                                    Sipsey

                                    -- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, datten10@... wrote:

                                    > Hello,
                                    >
                                    > I know I haven't had much to say, mostly I read and learn. And
                                    with dial up
                                    > I can't really download all the fine programs I read about, but I
                                    use ebay.
                                    > And can sometimes listen to online radio stations like bbc7.
                                    >
                                    > My first brush with OTR was in the early 70's. I went to a garage
                                    sale with
                                    > my mom and bought an old am radio about the size of a shoe box.
                                    If I put it
                                    > in my bedroom window and didn't move around it too much I could
                                    get a couple
                                    > of stations in. One played the Lone Ranger on Sunday nights. In
                                    the 90's I
                                    > discovered that they had some old radio shows in the upstairs of
                                    the library
                                    > that they would go find if you asked. Now with the internet I can
                                    buy whole
                                    > series at a time. Since they are all new to me, I love them. My
                                    dad will
                                    > listen to them in my car with me when we go for groceries and I
                                    know that he
                                    > won't mind waiting a bit if I have to run into a craft store. He
                                    just listens
                                    > while I'm gone and loves it. Now if I could just get him to
                                    actually turn
                                    > on his computer and listen to some of my cds.
                                    >
                                    > Melinda

                                  • Dwane Harney
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 16, 2007
                                      I first started listening to radio shows when I was twelve years old
                                      on Victor Ives' "The Golden Age of Radio Theatre" in 1984. It was
                                      broadcast Monday through Friday at 11:00 PM on KRPT 103.7 FM in
                                      Anadarko, Oklahoma, a station that is no longer on the air.

                                      I would record the radio shows onto cassette tape. After becoming
                                      interested in OTR, I would sometimes scan the radio for OTR and
                                      during the 1980's I listened to radio shows on the following
                                      stations while in Oklahoma:

                                      KRPT 103.7 FM Anadarko, OK
                                      KOMA 1520 AM Oklahoma City, OK
                                      KTOK 1000 AM Oklahoma City, OK [only The Campbell Playhouse]
                                      WBBM 780 AM Chicago, IL
                                      KFEQ 680 AM Saint Joseph, MO
                                      KCMO 710 AM Kansas City, MO
                                      KOA 850 AM Denver, CO
                                      KNX 1070 AM Los Angeles, CA [reception wasn't too good]

                                      A lot of the shows that I listened to on "The Golden Age of Radio
                                      Theatre" are special to me, because they are the first I heard. This
                                      includes "Fibber McGee & Molly", "X Minus One", "Dimension X", "The
                                      Great Gildersleeve", "The Hall of Fantasy", "The Life of
                                      Riley", "Night Beat", "Screen Director's Playhouse", and other
                                      shows. However, when I found Chuck Schaden's "Those Were the Days"
                                      on WBBM, it was really nice to hear some shows from other series. I
                                      think I first heard "Gunsmoke" and "Six Shooter" on "Those Were the
                                      Days".

                                      In addition to listening on the radio, I also checked out a few
                                      cassettes at the library, but I don't think they had very many at
                                      the library I went to.

                                      Before listening to OTR, when I was a little child, I listened to
                                      some stories on record. One of them was this:

                                      It's Howdy Doody Time!
                                      LSP-4546(e)

                                      Side 1
                                      It's Howdy Doody Time
                                      Howdy Doody's Do's and Don'ts

                                      Side 2
                                      Howdy Doody's Magic Juke Box

                                      I don't know if that record was made from television audio or not,
                                      but I listened to it off of a record.

                                      Dwane Harney
                                    • markdickerson2002
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Sep 17, 2007
                                        I remember hearing CBS Radio Mystery Theater in the summer of 1974. I
                                        don't remember what station it was (we were visiting my father &
                                        stepmother in Wichita, KS, at the time). We really like the first
                                        episode we heard (something about a car being driven by a guy in a
                                        skull mask, or something like that), so we listened for a while
                                        afterward. Unfortunately, the rest of the shows were disappointments,
                                        so we gave up listening.

                                        Then about a year later, station KFAB in Omaha started playing "real"
                                        OTR on Sunday afternoons. Usually "Fibber McGee & Molly" and one other
                                        radio show. That's when I fell in love with OTR, probably because it
                                        was something I just missed out on being a part of (I was born in '59).

                                        Mark

                                        wrote:

                                        > I was wondering what first got you into Old Time Radio? Was it a show
                                        > you heard when you were young on a nostalgia show like "when Radio
                                        > Was"? Is it that you were around when radio shows were the main
                                        > entertainment and you still love the shows?
                                        >
                                        > I know a lot of younger members probably first heard OTR on a
                                        > satellite channel (ironic, isn't it?) or by hearing CBS Radio Mystery
                                        > Theater at night.
                                        >

                                        > Pat

                                      • N D Saabirjohnson
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Sep 18, 2007
                                          We use to have a station that played books-on-tape on Saturday nights.
                                          One night I could not find them. So I tried to find them on the
                                          computer. No luck, but I did find a website that played OTR (did not
                                          know what it was then). Started listening and have not stopped.

                                          wrote:

                                          > I was wondering what first got you into Old Time Radio? Was it a show
                                          > you heard when you were young on a nostalgia show like "when Radio
                                          > Was"? Is it that you were around when radio shows were the main
                                          > entertainment and you still love the shows?
                                          >
                                          > I know a lot of younger members probably first heard OTR on a
                                          > satellite channel (ironic, isn't it?) or by hearing CBS Radio Mystery
                                          > Theater at night.
                                          >

                                          > Pat

                                        • Ron
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Sep 18, 2007
                                            Well Pat,
                                            I grew up with TV. I can't really remember being without one. The first
                                            one I remember was a 'Hoffman'. However, we would take a lot of one-day auto
                                            trips. On the way home after dark, I would always be laying on the back seat
                                            sleeping..........I don't think so.....but my parents thought so. They would
                                            have the car radio on and I would lay there listening to wonderful old
                                            shows. I remember the Shadow, the Whistler, & the Lone Ranger, to mention a
                                            few. Then as an adult, I found that a local radio station, KSFO, would
                                            broadcast the Stan Freeberg & Radio Spirits on weekday evenings for an hour,
                                            starting at 9:00 PM. For a while where ever I was at 9 PM, I would go out to
                                            the car and listen to it. Anyway after I set up here with the computer, I
                                            discovered streaming. KSFO had gone off the air, or so I thought. Actually
                                            they had move across the bay and were now on FM. I couldn't receive their
                                            signal from here but they were web streaming. It was great until they
                                            disappeared. But I also discovered other streaming sites and Yahoo Groups.
                                            Now I collect distros, download and listen to OTR all the time.
                                            Ron Stueck.....
                                            --
                                            Write if the mood strikes.....