Re: organizing an IPOD and OTR??

  • dal3856
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 30, 2007
      --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "spudboy488"
      <tom.sedlack@...> wrote:

      > Most MP3 players don't deal with the file names but work off the
      MP3
      > ID Tags. I have found a pretty easy way to keep my player
      organized
      > by tagging my OTR as follows:<br>
      >
      > Artist: OTR
      > Album: the series name
      > Title: the show title or Aired on date if no title
      > Genre: OTR
      >
      > As I have a lot of music on my player, it keeps the OTR in one
      spot
      > for easy access.
      >
      > Tom

      Which tagger are you using? None of the taggers Inhave seen allow
      for OTR as a genre.
      tia,
      dal3856

      <snip>
    • spudboy488
      Message 2 of 15 , May 1, 2007
        I have a Toshiba GigaBeat S30 30GB player. It's based on Windows
        Mobile and also has it's pros and cons. I like it becuase of the
        ease of navigation compared to the iPod. It also had very good
        reviews from some of the audio and computer magazines. I also
        wanted to steer away from iTunes.

        Tom

        --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "jconn0403"
        <jconn0403@...> wrote:

        > What player do you have?
        > I use my iPod for music and photographs with a hundred or so radio
        shows and a few old
        > movies for trips so sorting my OTR isn't that much of a
        priority. A lot of folks ask me
        > what to get but don't want to spring for an iPod and don't want to
        use iTunes. I'd like to
        > know what other players are a good choice.
        >
        > john

      • Wes Dickey
        Message 3 of 15 , May 1, 2007
          > I also
          > wanted to steer away from iTunes.

          Can someone explain to me what is so bad about iTunes?
          Surely everyone realizes that it is not a Microsoft
          product, don't they?

          I find that it does a very nice job of helping me
          organize my OTR and other mp3s. Playlists are easy to
          set up and transferring files to an iPod is a no
          brainer. And, yes, I have more than one iPod. A 20
          gig filled with all kinds of OTR and I recently
          purchased a refurbished shuffle from the Apple
          Store.(They are $49 there) I put one series on it and
          disable the shuffle function. It makes for great
          listening when I walk or work in the yard.

          I use the "smart" playlists quite often and find that
          a fast way to get certain programs where I can work
          with them.

          I find the controls on the iPods to be very easy to
          understand. If they weren't, I doubt that the other
          manufactures would be trying so hard to imitate them.

          Just my thoughts..everyone has their own ideas of what
          works for them.

          Wes
        • spudboy488
          Message 4 of 15 , May 1, 2007
            I use MediaMonkey, dbPowerAmp, and one I wrote in Visual Basic. I
            don't think I've ever seen one that didn't allow you to put whatever
            you wanted to into any of the fields, especially the text fields.
            Have you tried just typing OTR into the Genre field (don't want to
            sound like a smart a$$ but I have to ask). What tagger are you using
            that won't allow genre tagging out of curiosity?

            <jconn0403@...> wrote:

            > What player do you have?
            > I use my iPod for music and photographs with a hundred or so radio
            shows and a few old
            > movies for trips so sorting my OTR isn't that much of a
            priority. A lot of folks ask me
            > what to get but don't want to spring for an iPod and don't want to
            use iTunes. I'd like to
            > know what other players are a good choice.
            >
            > john
          • schaltraum
            Message 5 of 15 , May 1, 2007
              Just thought I'd make a short comment on the use of iTunes...

              I find that when I use in tandem smart folders and the fabulous - but
              the little used tool iTunes has somewhat buries -- (it is called
              COMMENT)you can sort and compile playlists for your iPod practically
              without limits. COMMENT has to be turned on (View Options) and is an
              absolutely great tool to get by limitations due to faulty idTags. Aure
              helped me when compiling my Food Song packages.

              Anybody else using this feature?

              Schalti in Berlin
            • Wes Dickey
              Message 6 of 15 , May 1, 2007
                I have always had comment turned on also. I write
                comments to myself there sometimes then search for key
                words later to organize my shows (or songs).

                Wes

                --- schaltraum <schaltraum@...> wrote:

                > Just thought I'd make a short comment on the use of
                > iTunes...
                >
                > I find that when I use in tandem smart folders and
                > the fabulous - but
                > the little used tool iTunes has somewhat buries --
                > (it is called
                > COMMENT)you can sort and compile playlists for your
                > iPod practically
                > without limits. COMMENT has to be turned on (View
                > Options) and is an
                > absolutely great tool to get by limitations due to
                > faulty idTags. Aure
                > helped me when compiling my Food Song packages.
                >
                > Anybody else using this feature?
                >

                > Schalti in Berlin

              • dal3856
                Message 7 of 15 , May 2, 2007
                  <tom.sedlack@...> wrote:

                  > I use MediaMonkey, dbPowerAmp, and one I wrote in Visual Basic. I
                  > don't think I've ever seen one that didn't allow you to put
                  whatever
                  > you wanted to into any of the fields, especially the text fields.
                  > Have you tried just typing OTR into the Genre field (don't want to
                  > sound like a smart a$$ but I have to ask). What tagger are you
                  using
                  > that won't allow genre tagging out of curiosity?
                  >
                  > Tom

                  I have tried Mp3 Tag Tools v1.2.008 which has the usual list of
                  genres to select from. I typed OTR into the genre field but it din't
                  work. I mostly use Otter Defender version, but that doesn't have a
                  text field for genre. The only way that I have been able to set the
                  genre to OTR is to right click an mp3 and use Win XP
                  properties/summery/advanced, but when I play the file in Winamp, the
                  ID3 info displays the genre as "Other". The same thing happens when
                  I open the file in Mp3 Tag Tools v1.2.008. Since OTR is not in it's
                  genre list, it assumes it's "Other", even though Win XP file
                  properties still shows the genre as OTR.

                  rt

                  > --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "jconn0403"
                  > <jconn0403@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > What player do you have?
                  > > I use my iPod for music and photographs with a hundred or so
                  radio
                  > shows and a few old
                  > > movies for trips so sorting my OTR isn't that much of a
                  > priority. A lot of folks ask me
                  > > what to get but don't want to spring for an iPod and don't want
                  > use iTunes. I'd like to
                  > > know what other players are a good choice.
                  > >
                  > > john

                • Kyle Jones
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 2, 2007
                    I quite agree, Wes.

                    Our family owns 3 iPods and use them in conjunction
                    with a 3 Mac home network using iTunes, and we love
                    everything about all of our Apple products. I don't find
                    anything that is not straight forward, customizable and
                    user-friendly.

                    I'm a bit rare in that I don't carry music on my iPod.
                    It is filled with OTR, college lectures, audiobooks, sermons
                    and podcasts. All were a piece of cake to organize and navigate,
                    and I love the one-click option to make these programs
                    bookmarkable so I can pick up where I left off.

                    My only complaint is that I can't make time move any faster
                    to get to June and make the transition to the new iPhone!

                    Just my 2 cents....

                    Kyle
                  • Robert M. Bratcher Jr.
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 2, 2007
                      At 07:20 AM 5/1/2007, you wrote:

                      >I have a Toshiba GigaBeat S30 30GB player. It's based on Windows
                      >Mobile and also has it's pros and cons. I like it becuase of the
                      >ease of navigation compared to the iPod. It also had very good
                      >reviews from some of the audio and computer magazines. I also
                      >wanted to steer away from iTunes.
                      >
                      >Tom

                      My only mp3 player is a portable (with headphones) Durabrand CD. It
                      will play mp3's (I've tested it) down to 32 khz but I only use it for
                      audio CD's (home burned too) since none of my other CD players will do mp3.....