Re: [OTRMP3] Re: Any members live here in Alaska.

  • Phillip Pearson
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 7, 2007
      gyialca wrote:
      > --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "Art" <kb7fxj@...> wrote:
      >
      >> My name is Art I'm in Wasilla, Alaska. Like to know if any Old Time
      >> Radio It's hard to trade with people in
      >> the lower 48..Thanks Art
      >>

      > Hi Art:
      >
      > Welcome to the group. If you want someone in Alaska, check
      > out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/radiowaves/
      >

      > The Owner of the group is from Alaska.
      >
      > Best Regards
      >
      > Gerry

      Howdy Art,

      I am the owner of the group my pal Gerry mentions above.

      Sorry it's taking me 2 weeks to reply to this e-mail as I haven't spent
      much time online the past couple of months.

      I live in Anchorage in the south part of town, but work in midtown.

      Feel free to e-m ail me personally at pnlp @ gci . net and we can trade
      or maybe hook up. Not to brag, but I have a pretty good size collection
      - about 72,000 episodes.

      Phil Pearson
    • Phillip Pearson
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 7, 2007
        Hi John and all,

        If I may try to answer this question.

        A lot of people seem to think that those of us that live in Alaska are
        actually living on Mars. Some people don't like the longer snail mail
        time in getting their packages. To be honest, though, there is nothing
        to worry about. I have a pretty good track record of packages that I
        ship getting to the lower 48 in just a day or two longer than they
        normally would take. Nothing pisses me off more (pardon the language)
        than when I buy something on eBay and the idiot seller charges more for
        shipping to Alaska or Hawaii than anywhere else in the Union. Dude, I
        pay $.39 for a stamp just like you do! I live in AMERICA! I use the
        same postal service that Joe Schmo in Key West uses.

        I think it's the perception of snail mail taking forever is what turns
        people off when, on the average, there is not really that much difference.

        Phil

        jconn0403 wrote:
        > Am I missing something here?
        > In the age of the Internet and the Postal Service, how is it more difficult for someone in
        > Alaska to trade OTR with folks in the lower 48 than it is for anyone else?
        >
        > just wondering,,,
        >
        > john
        >

        > --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "Vincente Tobias" <vincenteca@...>
        > wrote:
        >
        >> I know of two who live in Alaska. One is Alaska Jack who lives in
        >> Anchorage, and the other is Phil who has the Radiowaves group as Gerry has
        >> mentioned. I will forward your post to Jack, Art. I'm not sure if he is
        >> still in these groups.
        >> Vince
        >>

        >> On 2/22/07, gyialca <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        >>
        >>> --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com<oldradioshowsonmp3%
        >>>
        > 40yahoogroups.com>,

        >>> Hi Art:
        >>>
        >>> Welcome to the group. If you want someone in Alaska, check
        >>> out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/radiowaves/
        >>>
        >>> The Owner of the group is from Alaska.
        >>>
        >>> Best Regards
        >>>
        >>> Gerry

      • jconn0403
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 8, 2007
          I like to think of it as "real-mail".
          I used to collect stamps from Micronesia, Palau and The Marshall Islands. They are/were
          our "Trust Territories", along with Guam and a few others. You can still send a letter to
          them, half way across the world, for the same 39 cents it takes to mail a letter to your
          neighbor down the street. And, my son's in-laws in Australia can get my letter for a mere
          84 cents! Pretty amazing!
          As far as time..... I seem to prefer the old "distro" way of trading radio shows to
          downloading. Sure it takes a few days, but it's like Christmas when you go to your
          mailbox and pull out a disc or two with hundreds of shows on them to wile away the
          afternoon, or week. Did I really need them any earlier? Would my life change that much?
          We're too occupied with time. Remember when you got your first microwave and it would
          heat your coffee in an instant? Now we complain that the same "instant" we were amazed
          at so many years ago seems like an eternity.

          john

          p.s.
          whaddaya need/want?