Western recommendation (for grown-ups)?

  • mistercopacetic
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 29, 2006
      Hi All,

      Well, I've listened to every known episode of The Six Shooter,
      Gunsmoke, and Have Gun Will Travel (twice). I need to find another
      adult Western.
      For some reason I can't get excited about Fort Laramie. Any
      recommendations?

      Thanks,

      Carlo
      Tucson
    • Seth Adam Sher
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 29, 2006
        Frontier Gentleman?

        --- mistercopacetic <mistercopacetic@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > Well, I've listened to every known episode of The
        > Six Shooter,
        > Gunsmoke, and Have Gun Will Travel (twice). I need
        > to find another
        > adult Western.
        > For some reason I can't get excited about Fort
        > Laramie. Any
        > recommendations?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Carlo
        > Tucson

        Your sure choice for professional voiceover talent
        http://sethsher.voice123.com
        http://www.yoursurevoice.com/Seth_Adam_Sher.html
      • dal3856
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 29, 2006
          --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "mistercopacetic"
          <mistercopacetic@...> wrote:

          > Hi All,
          >
          > Well, I've listened to every known episode of The Six Shooter,
          > Gunsmoke, and Have Gun Will Travel (twice). I need to find another
          > adult Western.
          > For some reason I can't get excited about Fort Laramie. Any
          > recommendations?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Carlo
          > Tucson

          Tales of the Texas Rangers with Joel McCrea. A modern western based
          on facts from the files of the Texas Rangers. There are 32 eps at:

          http://www.radiolovers.com

          dal3856
        • cliff_marsland
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 31, 2006
            There are some good suggestions here - I'll also add Dr. Sixgun, which
            is kind of a quirky Western.-

            -- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, dal3856 <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "mistercopacetic"
            > <mistercopacetic@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi All,
            > >
            > > Well, I've listened to every known episode of The Six Shooter,
            > > Gunsmoke, and Have Gun Will Travel (twice). I need to find another
            > > adult Western.
            > > For some reason I can't get excited about Fort Laramie. Any
            > > recommendations?
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > >
            > > Carlo
            > > Tucson
            > >

            > Tales of the Texas Rangers with Joel McCrea. A modern western based
            > on facts from the files of the Texas Rangers. There are 32 eps at:
            >
            > http://www.radiolovers.com
            >
            > dal3856

          • mistercopacetic
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 31, 2006
              Hi All,

              Great suggestions! Oops, I forgot to mention that Frontier Gentleman
              and Tales Of The Texas Rangers are also old favorites of mine.

              I've never heard of Dr. Sixgun, and just located 20 episodes on the
              web. I'm eager to listen to them.

              Any other suggestions?

              Thanks again,

              Carlo
              Tucson

              -snip-

              cliff_marsland wrote:
              - I'll also add Dr. Sixgun, which
              > is kind of a quirky Western.-

              > > <mistercopacetic@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi All,
              > > >
              > > > Well, I've listened to every known episode of The Six Shooter,
              > > > Gunsmoke, and Have Gun Will Travel (twice). I need to find another
              > > > adult Western.
              > > > For some reason I can't get excited about Fort Laramie. Any
              > > > recommendations?
              > > >
              > > > Thanks,
              > > >
              > > > Carlo
              > > > Tucson
            • richard jessen
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 31, 2006
                Hi Carlo!
                The best of all of the adult westerns on radio would have to be, hands down, "Gunsmoke" starring William Conrad as Marshall Matt Dillon. The writing and production and direction were very highly polished. There have been pretty close to 500 episodes available--in other words, the entire series. "Dr. Six Gun" is a sleeper. It is sort of like "Wagon Train" set to radio. Same production values and a great actor in Karl Weber who was seen on TV from the middle 1950's through the 1980s.
                Yours,
                Richard

                mistercopacetic <mistercopacetic@...> wrote:
                Hi All,

                Great suggestions! Oops, I forgot to mention that Frontier Gentleman
                and Tales Of The Texas Rangers are also old favorites of mine.

                I've never heard of Dr. Sixgun, and just located 20 episodes on the
                web. I'm eager to listen to them.

                Any other suggestions?

                Thanks again,

                Carlo
                Tucson

                -snip-

                cliff_marsland wrote:
                - I'll also add Dr. Sixgun, which
                > is kind of a quirky Western.-

                > > <mistercopacetic@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hi All,
                > > >
                > > > Well, I've listened to every known episode of The Six Shooter,
                > > > Gunsmoke, and Have Gun Will Travel (twice). I need to find another
                > > > adult Western.
                > > > For some reason I can't get excited about Fort Laramie. Any
                > > > recommendations?
                > > >
                > > > Thanks,
                > > >
                > > > Carlo
                > > > Tucson

              • dal3856
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 31, 2006
                  <mistercopacetic@...> wrote:

                  > Hi All,
                  >
                  > Great suggestions! Oops, I forgot to mention that Frontier
                  Gentleman
                  > and Tales Of The Texas Rangers are also old favorites of mine.
                  >
                  > I've never heard of Dr. Sixgun, and just located 20 episodes on the
                  > web. I'm eager to listen to them.
                  >
                  > Any other suggestions?
                  >
                  > Thanks again,
                  >
                  > Carlo
                  > Tucson
                  >
                  > -snip-

                  I haven't listened to any of these shows, so I don't know if they
                  are adult westerns, but you may want to check them out.

                  Death Valley Days
                  Fort Laramie
                  Frontier Fighters
                  Frontier Town
                  Luke Slaughter of Tombstone

                  dal3856
                • jconn0403
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 31, 2006
                    What is it about "Fort Laramie" that just doesn't make it. Everything about it should make
                    for a good show. Actors, writers & production values but it just doesn't click.

                    john

                    wrote:

                    > Hi All,
                    >
                    > Well, I've listened to every known episode of The Six Shooter,
                    > Gunsmoke, and Have Gun Will Travel (twice). I need to find another
                    > adult Western.
                    > For some reason I can't get excited about Fort Laramie. Any
                    > recommendations?
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Carlo
                    > Tucson

                  • mistercopacetic
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 3, 2007
                      Hi John,

                      I'm sure "Laramie" is a fine show. I just get bored with all the
                      cavalry stuff. My favorite part of the old west was the gunfighters
                      and outlaws.

                      The list so far (not including kiddie westerns):

                      Gunsmoke
                      Six Shooter
                      Have Gun Will Travel
                      Death Valley Days
                      Fort Laramie
                      Frontier Fighters
                      Frontier Town
                      Luke Slaughter Of Tombstone
                      Dr. Sixgun
                      Tales Of The Texas Rangers

                      Thanks again!

                      Carlo Of Tucson

                      --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "jconn0403" <jconn0403@...>
                      wrote:

                      > What is it about "Fort Laramie" that just doesn't make it.
                      Everything about it should make
                      > for a good show. Actors, writers & production values but it just
                      doesn't click.

                      > john
                      >

                      > --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "mistercopacetic"
                      <mistercopacetic@>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi All,
                      > >
                      > > Well, I've listened to every known episode of The Six Shooter,
                      > > Gunsmoke, and Have Gun Will Travel (twice). I need to find another
                      > > adult Western.
                      > > For some reason I can't get excited about Fort Laramie. Any
                      > > recommendations?
                      > >
                      > > Thanks,
                      > >
                      > > Carlo
                      > > Tucson
                    • richard jessen
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 3, 2007
                        Hi Carlo,
                        Ditto for me about "Fort Laramie." The writing is very awkward and just seem to come together like "Gunsmoke" or even "Dr. Sixgun." Even that show holds together with good writing. "Frontier Gentleman" is very believable and has a brilliant score by Jerry Goldsmith that is a pleasure to hear. "HGWT" is another great one, not because of any associations with Richard Boone but because its radio and John Dehner more than fills the bill (he was originally chosen for the role of Palladin but couldn't due to his involvement with both Warner Brothers and with "Frontier Gentleman"). "Six Shooter" is a real sleeper, so great it makes even "Gunsmoke" look bad. And that haunting theme by Buzz Adlin. Sheesh! I could go on but it's lunchtime!
                        See you guys later!
                        Richard

                        wrote:

                        > What is it about "Fort Laramie" that just doesn't make it.
                        Everything about it should make
                        > for a good show. Actors, writers & production values but it just
                        doesn't click.

                        > john
                        >

                        > --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "mistercopacetic"
                        <mistercopacetic@>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hi All,
                        > >
                        > > Well, I've listened to every known episode of The Six Shooter,
                        > > Gunsmoke, and Have Gun Will Travel (twice). I need to find another
                        > > adult Western.
                        > > For some reason I can't get excited about Fort Laramie. Any
                        > > recommendations?
                        > >
                        > > Thanks,
                        > >
                        > > Carlo
                        > > Tucson

                      • jconn0403
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 3, 2007
                          My favorite is still Hoppy.
                          The show's are a little on the juvenile side but I still enjoy them a lot. There's something
                          about that guy's voice. Especially his laugh.
                          Among my long list of "I wishI could"'s are to speak like Ronald Coleman and laugh like
                          William Boyd .

                          john

                          wrote:

                          > Hi John,
                          >
                          > I'm sure "Laramie" is a fine show. I just get bored with all the
                          > cavalry stuff. My favorite part of the old west was the gunfighters
                          > and outlaws.
                          >
                          > The list so far (not including kiddie westerns):
                          >
                          > Gunsmoke
                          > Six Shooter
                          > Have Gun Will Travel
                          > Death Valley Days
                          > Fort Laramie
                          > Frontier Fighters
                          > Frontier Town
                          > Luke Slaughter Of Tombstone
                          > Dr. Sixgun
                          > Tales Of The Texas Rangers
                          >
                          > Thanks again!
                          >
                          > Carlo Of Tucson
                          >

                          > --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "jconn0403" <jconn0403@>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > What is it about "Fort Laramie" that just doesn't make it.
                          > Everything about it should make
                          > > for a good show. Actors, writers & production values but it just
                          > doesn't click.
                          > >
                          > > john
                          > >

                          > > --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "mistercopacetic"
                          > <mistercopacetic@>
                          > > wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Hi All,
                          > > >
                          > > > Well, I've listened to every known episode of The Six Shooter,
                          > > > Gunsmoke, and Have Gun Will Travel (twice). I need to find another
                          > > > adult Western.
                          > > > For some reason I can't get excited about Fort Laramie. Any
                          > > > recommendations?
                          > > >
                          > > > Thanks,
                          > > >
                          > > > Carlo
                          > > > Tucson

                        • richard jessen
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 3, 2007
                            Hi John!
                            I'd like to have that laugh myself! I fondly remember watching Hoppy on tv and think he was one special man. I later heard that unlike many Hollywood actors, he was one nice fellow and always treated everyone well. Thanks for bringing up memories of one of my favs.
                            Yours,
                            Richard

                            wrote:

                            > Hi John,
                            >
                            > I'm sure "Laramie" is a fine show. I just get bored with all the
                            > cavalry stuff. My favorite part of the old west was the gunfighters
                            > and outlaws.
                            >
                            > The list so far (not including kiddie westerns):
                            >
                            > Gunsmoke
                            > Six Shooter
                            > Have Gun Will Travel
                            > Death Valley Days
                            > Fort Laramie
                            > Frontier Fighters
                            > Frontier Town
                            > Luke Slaughter Of Tombstone
                            > Dr. Sixgun
                            > Tales Of The Texas Rangers
                            >
                            > Thanks again!
                            >
                            > Carlo Of Tucson
                            >

                            > --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "jconn0403" <jconn0403@>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > What is it about "Fort Laramie" that just doesn't make it.
                            > Everything about it should make
                            > > for a good show. Actors, writers & production values but it just
                            > doesn't click.
                            > >
                            > > john
                            > >

                            > > --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "mistercopacetic"
                            > <mistercopacetic@>
                            > > wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Hi All,
                            > > >
                            > > > Well, I've listened to every known episode of The Six Shooter,
                            > > > Gunsmoke, and Have Gun Will Travel (twice). I need to find another
                            > > > adult Western.
                            > > > For some reason I can't get excited about Fort Laramie. Any
                            > > > recommendations?
                            > > >
                            > > > Thanks,
                            > > >
                            > > > Carlo
                            > > > Tucson

                          • jconn0403
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 3, 2007
                              He was brilliant too. When he saw that TV was "the wave of the future" he bought up the
                              rights to his films and went to the small screen. I don't think anyone marketed their image
                              quite as much as he - until, of course, Disney went nuts with Davey Crockett.
                              I really wish I still had my Hoppy steer head neckerchief slide (with the red "jeweled" eyes)
                              and I'd never flushed my brothers Hoppy pen down the toilet.
                              A few years ago I saw a Hoppy shirt at a big antique show. It was $75ºº. I was tempted.
                              My wife was sane. She won!

                              john

                              In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, richard jessen <nobodynowhere2001@...>
                              wrote:

                              > Hi John!
                              > I'd like to have that laugh myself! I fondly remember watching Hoppy on tv and think
                              he was one special man. I later heard that unlike many Hollywood actors, he was one nice
                              fellow and always treated everyone well. Thanks for bringing up memories of one of my
                              favs.
                              > Yours,
                              > Richard
                              >
                              > jconn0403 <jconn0403@...> wrote:
                              > My favorite is still Hoppy.
                              > The show's are a little on the juvenile side but I still enjoy them a lot. There's something
                              > about that guy's voice. Especially his laugh.
                              > Among my long list of "I wishI could"'s are to speak like Ronald Coleman and laugh like
                              > William Boyd .
                              >
                              > john
                              >
                              > - In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "mistercopacetic" <mistercopacetic@>
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hi John,
                              > >
                              > > I'm sure "Laramie" is a fine show. I just get bored with all the
                              > > cavalry stuff. My favorite part of the old west was the gunfighters
                              > > and outlaws.
                              > >
                              > > The list so far (not including kiddie westerns):
                              > >
                              > > Gunsmoke
                              > > Six Shooter
                              > > Have Gun Will Travel
                              > > Death Valley Days
                              > > Fort Laramie
                              > > Frontier Fighters
                              > > Frontier Town
                              > > Luke Slaughter Of Tombstone
                              > > Dr. Sixgun
                              > > Tales Of The Texas Rangers
                              > >
                              > > Thanks again!
                              > >
                              > > Carlo Of Tucson
                              > >

                              > > --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "jconn0403" <jconn0403@>
                              > > wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > What is it about "Fort Laramie" that just doesn't make it.
                              > > Everything about it should make
                              > > > for a good show. Actors, writers & production values but it just
                              > > doesn't click.
                              > > >
                              > > > john
                              > > >

                              > > > --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "mistercopacetic"
                              > > <mistercopacetic@>

                            • mistercopacetic
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 4, 2007
                                Hi Richard, et al,

                                Yes, I've always loved the Six Shooter theme! I remember one night I
                                had a little insomnia and was listening to The Six Shooter in bed.
                                The show ended, the theme played, and I was just drifting off to sleep
                                when the smooth-voiced NBC announcer came on:

                                "Many of you have written letters asking where to find a recording of
                                The Six Shooter theme music..."

                                I woke up, jumped out of bed, turned on the lights, and grabbed a pen
                                and paper. The announcer continued...

                                "...we at NBC would like to let you know..."

                                I turned up the volume. I got ready to jot down the information. The
                                announcer spoke...

                                "...the theme music is not available. Thank you, and goodnight."

                                I went back to bed, wide awake and disappointed.

                                Has anyone ever found a copy of the theme music?

                                Thanks,

                                Carlo
                                Tucson

                                -snip-

                                "Six Shooter" is a real sleeper, so great it makes even "Gunsmoke"
                                look bad. And that haunting theme by Buzz Adlin. Sheesh! I could go on
                                but it's lunchtime!
                                > See you guys later!
                                > Richard
                                >
                                > mistercopacetic <mistercopacetic@...> wrote:
                                > Hi John,
                                >
                                > I'm sure "Laramie" is a fine show. I just get bored with all the
                                > cavalry stuff. My favorite part of the old west was the gunfighters
                                > and outlaws.
                                >
                                > The list so far (not including kiddie westerns):
                                >
                                > Gunsmoke
                                > Six Shooter
                                > Have Gun Will Travel
                                > Death Valley Days
                                > Fort Laramie
                                > Frontier Fighters
                                > Frontier Town
                                > Luke Slaughter Of Tombstone
                                > Dr. Sixgun
                                > Tales Of The Texas Rangers
                                >
                                > Thanks again!
                                >
                                > Carlo Of Tucson

                              • Vincente Tobias
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 4, 2007
                                  I'd like to add my two cents worth about Fort Laramie. The show went on
                                  the air in the dying days of network radio
                                  drama (1956). Although Dunning lists it as airing at 5:30 pm on
                                  Sundays, I seem
                                  to recall
                                  listening in the evening on Saturdays (but that was West Coast, so it may
                                  have been on a different schedule).
                                  Although I considered myself carrying on a one man (though I was still a
                                  kid) campaign to be an audience for
                                  network drama and comedy shows, even I couldn't really get into Ft. Laramie.
                                  And it is odd considering it was a Norman Macdonnell production starring
                                  Raymond Burr (!) and should have been a roaring success.
                                  Carlo has started a great thread here, and I think I will make it a New
                                  Year's resolution to give all these shows mentioned a new listen (including
                                  Ft. Laramie).
                                  Vince

                                  .

                                • Vincente Tobias
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jan 4, 2007
                                    Was Frontier Gentleman mentioned? Another John Dehner show.
                                    Vince

                                    > .

                                  • jconn0403
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jan 4, 2007
                                      Yes it was Vince. How's retirement coming along? I just had two friends retire this week
                                      from my old workplace. I feel as though I've been retired for 20 years, rather than 20
                                      months.

                                      I think the weirdest western on the radio was "Dr. Sixgun". What a concept ! ! !

                                      john

                                      --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "Vincente Tobias" <vincenteca@...>