Very pleased to be here

  • Caitlyn
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 26, 2006
      My first introduction to vintage sitcoms was back a few decades ago
      with the block of 50's comedies on CBN. They'd run from midnight
      till 2:30am & were a haven for those of us longing from an escape
      from the timely issues & serious state of the world over the years.
      I found myself unable to resist watching, became addicted & began the
      ritual of viewing every weeknight they were broadcast.

      I have also gotten into the radio stuff. I think it's ingenious &
      exciting, using our mind's eye to listen to in offensive, refreshing
      piece of old fashioned humor & quality material that has been left as
      a legacy from many of these great performers.

      After I've listened to a playlist of about 100/200 or so episodes of
      any given sitcom, I replay & listen to them over on my computer.
      They're enjoyable & great while having a cup of coffee or doing stuff
      around the house. I also enjoy some of the old commercials, like
      Prell, Pabst Blue Ribbon, etc...

      Thanfully there are still a good many of us who can appreciate & keep
      OTR alive for a very long time to come!
    • jen knight
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 26, 2006
        Thank you for reminding me how fun the commericials were on the radio listening to CBS Mystery theatre based in the early 70's still brings many memories of that time
        Jen

        Caitlyn <seventiesflicksgirl@...> wrote:
[...]

        Jennifer Knight

      • Caitlyn
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 26, 2006
          --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, jen knight
          <wenjenknight@...> wrote:

          > Thank you for reminding me how fun the commericials were on the radio
          listening to CBS Mystery theatre based in the early 70's still brings
          many memories of that time
          > Jen

          You're welcome, Jen. I also love when Harlow Wilcox does the Johnson
          Wax commercials on Fibber McGee & Molly. And he has the sexiest laugh!
          He was also announcer on the Baby Snooks Program.
        • Michael Georgian
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 26, 2006
            I too watched CBN every night. But I remember it from
            11pm until probably 3:30am. You Bet Your Life and
            Burns & Allen were on starting at 11. My Little
            Margie, I Married Joan, Bachelor Father, Love That
            Bob, Dobie Gillis, Jack Benny Show, Life Of Riley
            followed after.

            I also miss shows like Phil Silvers, Car 54, Patty
            Duke Show and Amos & Andy. I don't care for TV Land's
            habit of running shows that you can find running on
            any other cable channel at various times during the
            day: Cosby, Roseanne, Cheers, etc. I hope that some
            channel would air just the shows that haven't been
            aired in years.

            Mike

            --- Caitlyn <seventiesflicksgirl@...> wrote:

            > My first introduction to vintage sitcoms was back a
            > few decades ago
            > with the block of 50's comedies on CBN. They'd run
            > from midnight
            > till 2:30am & were a haven for those of us longing
            > from an escape
            > from the timely issues & serious state of the world
            > over the years.
            > I found myself unable to resist watching, became
            > addicted & began the
            > ritual of viewing every weeknight they were
            > broadcast.
            >
            > I have also gotten into the radio stuff. I think
            > it's ingenious &
            > exciting, using our mind's eye to listen to in
            > offensive, refreshing
            > piece of old fashioned humor & quality material that
            > has been left as
            > a legacy from many of these great performers.
            >
            > After I've listened to a playlist of about 100/200
            > or so episodes of
            > any given sitcom, I replay & listen to them over on
            > my computer.
            > They're enjoyable & great while having a cup of
            > coffee or doing stuff
            > around the house. I also enjoy some of the old
            > commercials, like
            > Prell, Pabst Blue Ribbon, etc...
            >
            > Thanfully there are still a good many of us who can
            > appreciate & keep
            > OTR alive for a very long time to come!

            http://new.mail.yahoo.com
          • Joe Mackey
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 27, 2006
              Caitlyn wrote --

              > My first introduction to vintage sitcoms was back a few decades ago with
              > the block of 50's comedies on CBN.

              Ah yes, remember them well. ==sigh==
              I only wish I had a vcr then, and the tapes weren't $5 or more each as
              they were when I got my first one around 1986.

              > I have also gotten into the radio stuff. I think it's ingenious &
              > exciting, using our mind's eye to listen

              I much prefer otr over tv any day of the week.
              Its like the old story of the man asking the child why he liked radio over
              tv and the kid replied, "Because the pictures are better". :)
              Joe
            • Caitlyn
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 27, 2006
                HI Joe,

                That WOULD be something a child would say (undoubtedly)! I even buy
                the mp3 DVDs of the shows so I could have them in CD & DVD format. So
                when one machine is resting I can used the other player. Mp3 is a
                swell invention!

                Caitlyn
              • Robert M. Bratcher Jr.
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 27, 2006
                  At 11:45 AM 11/26/2006, you wrote:

                  >I too watched CBN every night. But I remember it from
                  >11pm until probably 3:30am. You Bet Your Life and
                  >Burns & Allen were on starting at 11. My Little
                  >Margie, I Married Joan, Bachelor Father, Love That
                  >Bob, Dobie Gillis, Jack Benny Show, Life Of Riley
                  >followed after.

                  I missed that on CBN. Should have tuned in! Years ago (before it
                  became Home Shopping Network then a Mexican station) in Houston there
                  was a CH 67 that ran most of this same great stuff. Now I have to buy
                  16mm TV prints of the old 50's & 60's shows I like on Ebay & show
                  them with my Kodak movie projector.

                  >I also miss shows like Phil Silvers, Car 54, Patty
                  >Duke Show and Amos & Andy. I don't care for TV Land's
                  >habit of running shows that you can find running on
                  >any other cable channel at various times during the
                  >day: Cosby, Roseanne, Cheers, etc. I hope that some
                  >channel would air just the shows that haven't been
                  >aired in years.

                  I agree 100%!

                  >Mike
                • Caitlyn
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 27, 2006

                    > I missed that on CBN. Should have tuned in! Years ago (before it
                    > became Home Shopping Network then a Mexican station) in Houston there
                    > was a CH 67 that ran most of this same great stuff. Now I have to buy
                    > 16mm TV prints of the old 50's & 60's shows I like on Ebay & show
                    > them with my Kodak movie projector.

                    I've wondered about the quality & durability of 16mm film. I've heard
                    that they don't age well & the sharpness fades after awhile. Perhaps
                    this isn't true if the prints are stored in a dark, cool place, though
                    often during the summer it's pretty hot in most of the house, as I only
                    have an a/c in one room & the rest have fans going, but that tends to
                    blow around hot air. Someone suggested storing them in the
                    refrigerator, but the moisture I'd think would be a detriment to them.
                    I've seen 16mm stuff listed often on eBay & so when you mentioned it I
                    wondered. I don't own a projector myself, but I think watching stuff
                    on a projector can be exciting!
                  • Caitlyn
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 27, 2006
                      --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, Michael Georgian
                      <cosmo_nyet@...> wrote:

                      > I too watched CBN every night. But I remember it from
                      > 11pm until probably 3:30am. You Bet Your Life and
                      > Burns & Allen were on starting at 11. My Little
                      > Margie, I Married Joan, Bachelor Father, Love That
                      > Bob, Dobie Gillis, Jack Benny Show, Life Of Riley
                      > followed after.
                      >
                      > I also miss shows like Phil Silvers, Car 54, Patty
                      > Duke Show and Amos & Andy. I don't care for TV Land's
                      > habit of running shows that you can find running on
                      > any other cable channel at various times during the
                      > day: Cosby, Roseanne, Cheers, etc. I hope that some
                      > channel would air just the shows that haven't been
                      > aired in years.
                      >
                      > Mike

                      HI Mike,

                      You must be in central time zone. Burns & Allen kicked of a block of
                      sitcoms which ran every weeknight at midnight, after Another Life. I
                      recall all of the ones you mentioned being on the schedule. During
                      weekday afternoons The Farmer's Daughter & The Patty Duke Show aired
                      back-to-back. I've managed to track down many of the stuff mentioned
                      on eBay & Ioffer. Please Don't Eat The Daisies (the series) as well.
                      I've gotten so much of this stuff since getting my computer than I
                      wouldn't find on cable or anyplace in the commercial retail outlets,
                      so the computer is really a haven for those of us who are into this
                      stuff & are seeking sources to obtain certain material. As for my
                      Mp3 cds, they're going everyday & dirt cheap, I'm constantly buying
                      them off eBay & listening to them for hours.

                      Caitlyn
                    • Rick Roberts
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 27, 2006
                        Hi

                        Sorry for coming into this late but looking back I'm not sure what
                        you folks are talking about...mp3s or videos? If its videos ...there
                        are some groups out there doing this stuff if mp3s there are others.
                        I think I came in too late to get the jest of what you folks are
                        talking about.

                        But Joe...I do remember my first 81 vcr
                        I had and $15 tapes....vhs.

                        Best
                        Sipsey

                        --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "Caitlyn"
                        <seventiesflicksgirl@...> wrote:

                        > --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, Michael Georgian
                        > <cosmo_nyet@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I too watched CBN every night. But I remember it from
                        > > 11pm until probably 3:30am. You Bet Your Life and
                        > > Burns & Allen were on starting at 11. My Little
                        > > Margie, I Married Joan, Bachelor Father, Love That
                        > > Bob, Dobie Gillis, Jack Benny Show, Life Of Riley
                        > > followed after.
                        > >
                        > > I also miss shows like Phil Silvers, Car 54, Patty
                        > > Duke Show and Amos & Andy. I don't care for TV Land's
                        > > habit of running shows that you can find running on
                        > > any other cable channel at various times during the
                        > > day: Cosby, Roseanne, Cheers, etc. I hope that some
                        > > channel would air just the shows that haven't been
                        > > aired in years.
                        > >
                        > > Mike
                        > >

                        > HI Mike,
                        >
                        > You must be in central time zone. Burns & Allen kicked of a block
                        of
                        > sitcoms which ran every weeknight at midnight, after Another Life.
                        > recall all of the ones you mentioned being on the schedule. During
                        > weekday afternoons The Farmer's Daughter & The Patty Duke Show
                        aired
                        > back-to-back. I've managed to track down many of the stuff
                        mentioned
                        > on eBay & Ioffer. Please Don't Eat The Daisies (the series) as
                        well.
                        > I've gotten so much of this stuff since getting my computer than I
                        > wouldn't find on cable or anyplace in the commercial retail
                        outlets,
                        > so the computer is really a haven for those of us who are into this
                        > stuff & are seeking sources to obtain certain material. As for my
                        > Mp3 cds, they're going everyday & dirt cheap, I'm constantly buying
                        > them off eBay & listening to them for hours.
                        >
                        > Caitlyn

                      • Caitlyn
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 27, 2006
                          --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Roberts"
                          <rickrob@...> wrote:

                          > Hi
                          >
                          > Sorry for coming into this late but looking back I'm not sure
                          what
                          > you folks are talking about...mp3s or videos? If its
                          videos ...there
                          > are some groups out there doing this stuff if mp3s there are
                          others.
                          > I think I came in too late to get the jest of what you folks are
                          > talking about.
                          >

                          > But Joe...I do remember my first 81 vcr
                          > I had and $15 tapes....vhs.
                          >
                          > Best
                          > Sipsey

                          We were discusiing the old late night block that aired on CBN Cable
                          Network when the channel actually offered decent programming & were
                          reminiscing(sp) about the classic vintage shows they would air for
                          many years back in the day & that nowadays it's more obscure to
                          obtain alot of these shows unless we scour eBay or something. I try
                          not to buy videos anymore if I can get what I want on DVD. I think
                          now finally the retail markets are phasing out their vhs inventory &
                          everything's becoming DVD exclusively. I know Critic's Choice is no
                          longer offering vhs at all.

                          I also mentioned how I listen to old radio shows on my computer
                          frequently & that I love them & think the invention of the mp3
                          player is wonderful! It's so nice to go back to another time when
                          things were simpler & humor was inoffensive & refreshing.
                          Thankfully that's all preserved for this & future generations on
                          CD/DVD, etc...

                          I wonder why The Beulah Show only lists a small number of episodes
                          on a single mp3 CD. I suppose it ran longer on television. Meet
                          Corliss Archer doesn't seem to list many episodes either I've
                          noticed.

                          Caitlyn
                        • schaltraum
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 28, 2006
                            > I've wondered about the quality & durability of 16mm film. I've heard
                            > that they don't age well & the sharpness fades after awhile. Perhaps
                            > this isn't true if the prints are stored in a dark, cool place, though
                            > often during the summer it's pretty hot in most of the house, as I only
                            > have an a/c in one room & the rest have fans going, but that tends to
                            > blow around hot air. Someone suggested storing them in the
                            > refrigerator, but the moisture I'd think would be a detriment to them.
                            > I've seen 16mm stuff listed often on eBay & so when you mentioned it I
                            > wondered. I don't own a projector myself, but I think watching stuff
                            > on a projector can be exciting!

                            Hi, thought I'd throw my film cans in the ring on this one...

                            Having been involved with the 16mm rental industry (pre-video days, Folks!), I can tell you
                            the format is very stable, film stocks used after the 1940's were much improved for
                            durability. Prints - on reels - placed in film cans that can stand upright (rather than
                            stacked upon one another) and stored in a cool, dry environment should be around to
                            pass on to the Grandchildren. Some of the prints I rented back then were over 20 years old
                            and had few problems with fading or loosing "sharpness" or having diminished sound
                            properties.

                            Of course, there are some common problems that do occur and should be noted:

                            1. Sprocket damage... heavy use of a print through the years used in projectors
                            improperly maintained can cause physical damage to the print. Dirt and grit at the film
                            gate will cause ungainly scratches. Another common problem: films that were heavily used
                            by schools and clubs where care wasn't given to the proper initial threading: the sprocket
                            holes on the film become stretched -making a constant loop before the gate hard to
                            maintain and often resulting in a "jittery" projected image. Even worse, a tear just past the
                            projector's film gate (at home a real problem if you have a cat, as they seemed enticed by
                            and like to play with the mass of film that will spool onto the floor as the take up reel
                            spins uselessly awaiting to take up film that is not coming).

                            2. Missing footage... if the film has sprocket damage and is not properly repaired - a
                            process that consists of reinforcement with a special clear mylar tape applied to the
                            damaged sections - the common fix was often the ultimate sin: to clip out the damaged
                            frame and splice together what's left. Result here is a film with jump cuts and unless you
                            are a fan of Jean Luc Goddard, you may suffer disappointment by not seeing that very
                            precise scene you were waiting for with anticipation and glee.

                            3. The Bulb Went South: if you are thinking of getting into 16mm sound projection - and I
                            suppose the old B&H projectors are probably quite easy to get hold of nowadays - you do
                            need to think about the projection bulb. They might not be as easy to find as they were in
                            the 1980s and even in those days you couldn't pop down to your local Rexall and walk out
                            with one. In fact, today, if you do have a source, my suggestion is to have no less than
                            three on hand, From experience, I can tell you there is nothing so deflating to your ego as
                            to invite folks over for a "private screening" only to have you bulb burn out after 12 min.
                            and no replacement in the drawer.

                            4. And a tip or two: short of having a machine that will quickly scan a print for damage,
                            there are several things you can do when accessing a print for possible purchase... open
                            up the film can and place the reel on a table. Have a good look at the film can. Note its
                            condition... cracks? indication of water stains? (I have seen prints sopping wet and when
                            dried, no apparent damage - on the other hand, one spilled cup of coffe once ruined a
                            copy of Peter Pan) Back to the reel of film: Run your thumb across the reel, exploring the
                            edges, taking care to feel for jutting edges that might indicate sprocket or poorly made
                            splices or any other inconsistencies (strands of cat hair may also be entwined). Also look
                            for the shade consistency of the edge, with numerous splicing or sprocket repair, the
                            edges won't appear to be uniform. Uniformity is consistent with a good quality used print.
                            One more: the color coded head (the leader at the beginning of a film) and the tail (last
                            part of the film to pass through the gate) are subject to the most damage in the projection
                            process. When considering to buy a print, I would look to see the condition of the header
                            and the next 10 or 12 feet past the leader. Damage found here will be a pretty good
                            indication of how the print was maintained.

                            Hope this might help out some people who might want to enjoy a film being projected at
                            home, rather than being beamed...

                            Schalti in Berlin, who misses his San Francisco days when the 4th of July film party would
                            start after the fireworks and end only when the last one watching would turn off the
                            projector
                          • Robert M. Bratcher Jr.
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 28, 2006
                              At 09:29 PM 11/27/2006, you wrote:

                              > > I missed that on CBN. Should have tuned in! Years ago (before it
                              > > became Home Shopping Network then a Mexican station) in Houston there
                              > > was a CH 67 that ran most of this same great stuff. Now I have to buy
                              > > 16mm TV prints of the old 50's & 60's shows I like on Ebay & show
                              > > them with my Kodak movie projector.

                              OK I'll answer about it once. Don't want to post off topic for very long.

                              >I've wondered about the quality & durability of 16mm film.

                              It varies. Some prints are in great shape while others have splices
                              where the film broke & had to be put back together. Some prints are
                              scratched and they do get dirty if not cleaned from time to time with
                              a film cleaner.

                              >I've heard
                              >that they don't age well & the sharpness fades after awhile. Perhaps
                              >this isn't true if the prints are stored in a dark, cool place, though
                              >often during the summer it's pretty hot in most of the house, as I only
                              >have an a/c in one room & the rest have fans going, but that tends to
                              >blow around hot air.

                              Sharpness is not usually a problem.

                              Some color film stocks fade to red (Kodak Eastman), brown (Kodak SP),
                              or purple (Fugi) while others hold color perfectly. Acetate film can
                              develop whats known as vinegar syndrome (after awhile) due to being
                              stored in a hot place for a long period of time but usually it's due
                              to poor washing of the prints (after processing) at the lab where the
                              print was made. Mylar prints don't develop this problem. And then
                              there is black & white which never fades. Most prints have leader
                              spliced in where the commercials go while come have had that leader
                              removed. Sometimes you can find a network print that has the original
                              commercials in it however most prints are syndication ones without
                              commercials. From time to time commercials show up on Ebay but
                              collectors usually don't splice them into prints.

                              > Someone suggested storing them in the
                              >refrigerator, but the moisture I'd think would be a detriment to them.

                              Bad idea.

                              >I've seen 16mm stuff listed often on eBay & so when you mentioned it I
                              >wondered. I don't own a projector myself, but I think watching stuff
                              >on a projector can be exciting!

                              It can very nice but buying the films can get expensive plus the
                              projectors have to be maintained or fixed from time to time. Parts
                              are hard to get so collectors keep one or more projectors lying
                              around for use as parts machines. Also the picture light & sound
                              light bulbs are getting hard to find for the older projectors. It's
                              not something for everybody to jump into but if you like film as I do
                              then have at it!
                            • john
                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 28, 2006
                                Now you're giving me the itch to drag out my old Super 8 Sound stuff from the 70's. The
                                Keatons and Chaplins won't look good on video until I get that 115"big screen Pioneer.
                                The last time I fired up the projector the bulb lasted 2 hours. I'm not sure if it was a
                                defective bulb or it there's a short in the projector. At over $30ºº a bulb it's expensive to
                                experiment.
                                john
                                --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "Robert M. Bratcher Jr." <bratcher@...>
                                wrote:

                                > At 09:29 PM 11/27/2006, you wrote:
                                >

                                > > > I missed that on CBN. Should have tuned in! Years ago (before it
                                > > > became Home Shopping Network then a Mexican station) in Houston there
                                > > > was a CH 67 that ran most of this same great stuff. Now I have to buy
                                > > > 16mm TV prints of the old 50's & 60's shows I like on Ebay & show
                                > > > them with my Kodak movie projector.
                                > > >

                                > OK I'll answer about it once. Don't want to post off topic for very long.
                                >
                                > >I've wondered about the quality & durability of 16mm film.
                                >
                                > It varies. Some prints are in great shape while others have splices
                                > where the film broke & had to be put back together. Some prints are
                                > scratched and they do get dirty if not cleaned from time to time with
                                > a film cleaner.
                                >
                                > >I've heard
                                > >that they don't age well & the sharpness fades after awhile. Perhaps
                                > >this isn't true if the prints are stored in a dark, cool place, though
                                > >often during the summer it's pretty hot in most of the house, as I only
                                > >have an a/c in one room & the rest have fans going, but that tends to
                                > >blow around hot air.
                                >
                                > Sharpness is not usually a problem.
                                >
                                > Some color film stocks fade to red (Kodak Eastman), brown (Kodak SP),
                                > or purple (Fugi) while others hold color perfectly. Acetate film can
                                > develop whats known as vinegar syndrome (after awhile) due to being
                                > stored in a hot place for a long period of time but usually it's due
                                > to poor washing of the prints (after processing) at the lab where the
                                > print was made. Mylar prints don't develop this problem. And then
                                > there is black & white which never fades. Most prints have leader
                                > spliced in where the commercials go while come have had that leader
                                > removed. Sometimes you can find a network print that has the original
                                > commercials in it however most prints are syndication ones without
                                > commercials. From time to time commercials show up on Ebay but
                                > collectors usually don't splice them into prints.
                                >
                                > > Someone suggested storing them in the
                                > >refrigerator, but the moisture I'd think would be a detriment to them.
                                >
                                > Bad idea.
                                >
                                > >I've seen 16mm stuff listed often on eBay & so when you mentioned it I
                                > >wondered. I don't own a projector myself, but I think watching stuff
                                > >on a projector can be exciting!
                                >
                                > It can very nice but buying the films can get expensive plus the
                                > projectors have to be maintained or fixed from time to time. Parts
                                > are hard to get so collectors keep one or more projectors lying
                                > around for use as parts machines. Also the picture light & sound
                                > light bulbs are getting hard to find for the older projectors. It's
                                > not something for everybody to jump into but if you like film as I do
                                > then have at it!

                              • Rick Roberts
                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 28, 2006
                                  > I wonder why The Beulah Show only lists a small number of episodes
                                  > on a single mp3 CD. I suppose it ran longer on television. Meet
                                  > Corliss Archer doesn't seem to list many episodes either I've
                                  >noticed.

                                  Caitlyn

                                  Not all otr was saved and what was.....not all has been encoded to mp3.

                                  Best
                                  Sipsey

                                • richard jessen
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Nov 28, 2006
                                    Dear Rick,
                                    The Beulah Show has only a few episodes possibly because the death of Marlin Hurt (at the end of the show's first season) could have doomed the show. Quite a lot of times, people either with home recorders or those at the radio stations most likely considered it a bad show. A lot of times, however, no matter how careful the AFRS could be, their shows were accidently destroyed. The same happened to many shows on both radio and tv: they were detsroyed to make room. Same goes for Corliss Archer. Most soap operas and kid's shows were never recorded because either people couldn't be there because they were working, the networks destroyed the original recordings or just plain disgust. Thus there are dozens of shows which were history making but very little or none is known what they are like due to the above thinking.
                                    Richard Jessen

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Nov 28, 2006
                                      Yes I know. Very sad isn't it?

                                      Best
                                      Sipsey

                                      --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, richard jessen
                                      <nobodynowhere2001@...> wrote:

                                      > Dear Rick,
                                      > The Beulah Show has only a few episodes possibly because the
                                      death of Marlin Hurt (at the end of the show's first season) could
                                      have doomed the show. Quite a lot of times, people either with home
                                      recorders or those at the radio stations most likely considered it a
                                      bad show. A lot of times, however, no matter how careful the AFRS
                                      could be, their shows were accidently destroyed. The same happened to
                                      many shows on both radio and tv: they were detsroyed to make room.
                                      Same goes for Corliss Archer. Most soap operas and kid's shows were
                                      never recorded because either people couldn't be there because they
                                      were working, the networks destroyed the original recordings or just
                                      plain disgust. Thus there are dozens of shows which were history
                                      making but very little or none is known what they are like due to the
                                      above thinking.
                                      > Richard Jessen
                                      >
                                      > Rick Roberts <rickrob@...> wrote:
                                      > > I wonder why The Beulah Show only lists a small number
                                      of episodes
                                      > > on a single mp3 CD. I suppose it ran longer on television. Meet
                                      > > Corliss Archer doesn't seem to list many episodes either I've
                                      > >noticed.
                                      >
                                      > Caitlyn
                                      >
                                      > Not all otr was saved and what was.....not all has been encoded to
                                      mp3.

                                      > Best
                                      > Sipsey

                                    • Rick Roberts
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Nov 28, 2006
                                        Yes I know. Very sad isn't it? Still there are many shows out there
                                        of a lot of different series that have not yet been encoded to mp3s.

                                        <nobodynowhere2001@...> wrote:

                                        > Dear Rick,
                                        > The Beulah Show has only a few episodes possibly because the
                                        death of Marlin Hurt (at the end of the show's first season) could
                                        have doomed the show. Quite a lot of times, people either with home
                                        recorders or those at the radio stations most likely considered it a
                                        bad show. A lot of times, however, no matter how careful the AFRS
                                        could be, their shows were accidently destroyed. The same happened to
                                        many shows on both radio and tv: they were detsroyed to make room.
                                        Same goes for Corliss Archer. Most soap operas and kid's shows were
                                        never recorded because either people couldn't be there because they
                                        were working, the networks destroyed the original recordings or just
                                        plain disgust. Thus there are dozens of shows which were history
                                        making but very little or none is known what they are like due to the
                                        above thinking.
                                        > Richard Jessen
                                        >
                                        > Rick Roberts <rickrob@...> wrote:
                                        > > I wonder why The Beulah Show only lists a small number
                                        of episodes
                                        > > on a single mp3 CD. I suppose it ran longer on television. Meet
                                        > > Corliss Archer doesn't seem to list many episodes either I've
                                        > >noticed.
                                        >
                                        > Caitlyn
                                        >
                                        > Not all otr was saved and what was.....not all has been encoded to
                                        mp3.

                                        > Best
                                        > Sipsey

                                      • Robert M. Bratcher Jr.
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Nov 28, 2006
                                          At 10:39 AM 11/28/2006, you wrote:

                                          >Now you're giving me the itch to drag out my old
                                          >Super 8 Sound stuff from the 70's. The
                                          >Keatons and Chaplins won't look good on video
                                          >until I get that 115"big screen Pioneer.
                                          >The last time I fired up the projector the bulb
                                          >lasted 2 hours. I'm not sure if it was a
                                          >defective bulb or it there's a short in the
                                          >projector. At over $30ºº a bulb it's expensive to
                                          >experiment.
                                          >john

                                          Either a defective bulb or a power surge killed
                                          it. I had that happen to one of two C?? (don't
                                          remember the bulb code) 500w bulbs I bought while
                                          waiting for some 750w DDB's to arrive. First bulb
                                          blew after 20 minutes. 2nd lasted the usual 25
                                          hours like all of the DDB's I used ran. Early on
                                          I modified the Kodak projector I was using to put
                                          a low voltage on the bulb when the projector was
                                          first turned on. That stopped the inrush current
                                          that pops bulbs nearing end of life. Result? I
                                          was getting 50+ hours from my bulbs before they
                                          went out. Later I started using a 200 hour DFY
                                          bulb & it has yet to burn out after 3 years of heavy use on the same projector.

                                          $30 per bulb gets expensive so you find ways to use less of them....
                                        • Caitlyn
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Nov 30, 2006
                                            <rickrob@...> wrote:

                                            > > I wonder why The Beulah Show only lists a small number of
                                            episodes
                                            > > on a single mp3 CD. I suppose it ran longer on television. Meet
                                            > > Corliss Archer doesn't seem to list many episodes either I've
                                            > >noticed.
                                            >
                                            > Caitlyn
                                            >
                                            > Not all otr was saved and what was.....not all has been encoded to
                                            mp3.

                                            > Best
                                            > Sipsey

                                            Thanks for the reply. I have wondered about that for awhile now
                                            because even on eBay it was all I could find with a minimal number of
                                            episodes. As for other stuff not being encoded to Mp3, I don't know
                                            what they're waiting for, this is a time of state-of-the-art
                                            technology. They'd better get on the horn :-)
                                          • Rick Roberts
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Nov 30, 2006
                                              No need to buy shows on ebay..there are plenty of groups who
                                              distribute shows for free. All you get on ebay is what others spent
                                              their money for to encode to mp3 and freely pass out. The sellers on
                                              ebay are just trying to make a buck off of what others chose to give
                                              away to all otr collectors.