Is radio drama dead?

  • Harry
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1 2:12 AM
      Here we are romancing the radio, but are we turning it on? Has anyone listened to Larry
      Gelbart's radio satire "Abrogate"? I was rather surprised how little attention it has received.
      I've reviewed it a few days ago; it is available on the BBC radio homepage until Friday, 2
      June. I found it interesting that some of the techniques learned during radio's heyday
      were not being employed or ignored.

      http://broadcastellan.blogspot.com
    • Stephen Breen
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1 5:24 AM
        In a sense, yes.
        I don't listen to radio for anything.
        I don't watch TV either. Of course I listen to a LOT of BBC drama and I watch shows that were made for TV (Hornblower, Battlestar Galactica, lots of older shows). I listen and watch when I want to, not when anything is scheduled.
        For me, even having to record a streamed broadcast is too much trouble - as opposed to downloading files. I can't do it automatically, so it would monopolize my computer time and I have plenty of, already downloaded, stuff to listen to.
        Hey, this is the 21st century.
        Steve in SF

        Harry <broadcastellan@...> wrote:
        Here we are romancing the radio, but are we turning it on? Has anyone listened to Larry
        Gelbart's radio satire "Abrogate"? I was rather surprised how little attention it has received.
        I've reviewed it a few days ago; it is available on the BBC radio homepage until Friday, 2
        June. I found it interesting that some of the techniques learned during radio's heyday
        were not being employed or ignored.

        http://broadcastellan.blogspot.com

        Old time radio show Old radio shows Radio program Podcasts Foul language

      • Norm C.
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1 7:14 AM
          I hope not!
          The downloaded "stuff" that you have to listen to, somebody else
          took the time to recorded it, save it and share it. Did you thank them?
          Do you share it? Do you really care? Gimme, gimme, gimme and take, take,
          take??? I hope your computer crashes!

          > In a sense, yes.
          > I don't listen to radio for anything.
          > I don't watch TV either. Of course I listen to a LOT of BBC drama
          > and I watch shows that were made for TV (Hornblower, Battlestar
          > Galactica, lots of older shows). I listen and watch when I want to,
          > not when anything is scheduled.
          > For me, even having to record a streamed broadcast is too much
          > trouble - as opposed to downloading files. I can't do it
          > automatically, so it would monopolize my computer time and I have
          > plenty of, already downloaded, stuff to listen to.
          > Hey, this is the 21st century.

        • egnirts
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1 1:01 PM
            Don't forget guys, old radio is alive and well on XM satellite. that
            is the reason I quit recording and collecting. XM is a little heavy
            on mysteries but that is ok. I can turn it on anytime to catch the
            programs I missed earlier in the week. Having a set of programs
            repeated for a week is nice.

            Regular AM and FM has turned into mostly junk. The satellite systems
            are commercial free music and the genre is your choice. We have one
            in the car and one in the house.

            gws

            --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Breen
            <thingmaker2001@...> wrote:

            > In a sense, yes.
            > I don't listen to radio for anything.
            > I don't watch TV either. Of course I listen to a LOT of BBC drama
            and I watch shows that were made for TV (Hornblower, Battlestar
            Galactica, lots of older shows). I listen and watch when I want to,
            not when anything is scheduled.
            > For me, even having to record a streamed broadcast is too much
            trouble - as opposed to downloading files. I can't do it
            automatically, so it would monopolize my computer time and I have
            plenty of, already downloaded, stuff to listen to.
            > Hey, this is the 21st century.
            > Steve in SF
            >

            > Harry <broadcastellan@...> wrote:
            > Here we are romancing the radio, but are we turning it on? Has
            anyone listened to Larry
            > Gelbart's radio satire "Abrogate"? I was rather surprised how little
            attention it has received.
            > I've reviewed it a few days ago; it is available on the BBC radio
            homepage until Friday, 2
            > June. I found it interesting that some of the techniques learned
            during radio's heyday
            > were not being employed or ignored.
            >
            > http://broadcastellan.blogspot.com
            >

            > If for some reason, you feel this group is not for you, you can
            easily unsubscribe from it by sending an email to:

            > But we'll miss you.

            > Old time radio show Old radio shows Radio program
            Podcasts Foul language

            Service.

          • Brian Dermody
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1 2:00 PM
              OTR on satellite.

              Doesn't it seem like you should at least have to string a satellite antenna
              from the upstairs window to the tall tree in the backyard and be worried
              about lightning? Or that the satellite receiver should come on with a
              re-assuring thump on its speaker and slowly warm up for at least 20 seconds
              before you can receive the programming? Or that at a minimum you'd have to
              put in a different coil for each channel that you want to listen to, and
              even then you'd have to do some fine tuning to find the sweetest signal?

              I'm only 50, but I've had a love of radios all my life. From my first
              crystal set, my first shortwave radio, my first heathkit shortwave radio,
              working on HF receivers and transmitters in the Navy, and now at least
              having a few old sets around the house. It's harder to love the modern
              stuff...at least for me.

              Brian

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 1 2:21 PM
                Jeeze , what an angry guy...
                Of course I share, (primarily through Streamload). And I thank them when I know them...
                If you are upset that others may be enjoying what you record, then perhaps you should just keep it for yourself. Maybe you wouldn't feel so put opon.
                Steve in SF

                "Norm C." <ncatt2@...> wrote: I hope not!
                The downloaded "stuff" that you have to listen to, somebody else
                took the time to recorded it, save it and share it. Did you thank them?
                Do you share it? Do you really care? Gimme, gimme, gimme and take, take,
                take??? I hope your computer crashes!

                > In a sense, yes.
                > I don't listen to radio for anything.
                > I don't watch TV either. Of course I listen to a LOT of BBC drama
                > and I watch shows that were made for TV (Hornblower, Battlestar
                > Galactica, lots of older shows). I listen and watch when I want to,
                > not when anything is scheduled.
                > For me, even having to record a streamed broadcast is too much
                > trouble - as opposed to downloading files. I can't do it
                > automatically, so it would monopolize my computer time and I have
                > plenty of, already downloaded, stuff to listen to.
                > Hey, this is the 21st century.

                Old time radio show Old radio shows Radio program Podcasts Foul language

              • barryem
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 1 3:12 PM
                  --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Dermody"
                  <dermbrian@...> wrote:

                  > I'm only 50, but I've had a love of radios all my life. From my
                  first
                  > crystal set, my first shortwave radio, my first heathkit shortwave
                  radio,
                  > working on HF receivers and transmitters in the Navy, and now at
                  least
                  > having a few old sets around the house. It's harder to love the
                  modern
                  > stuff...at least for me.

                  I'm 65 and I love the new stuff. I'm living on SS so I don't have a
                  lot of it but I have enough and it's fun.

                  I guess my favorite technology today is my MP3 player. Being retired
                  I have a lot of time to spend listening to OTR and audiobooks and
                  audiodrama and I love to go walking and take it with me or sit in the
                  gazebo or on the front porch at night and listen.

                  The MP3 player I currently have in my shirt pocket right now (I have
                  several) is somewhat smaller than a Bic lighter and, including the
                  battery it weighs less than an oumce. I have a headphone cord draped
                  around my neck so the earbud on either side is easy to poke into my
                  ear. It's just always there ready to be heard.

                  On board I have two audiobooks, totalling about 15 hours of listening
                  and the thing is only about 1/3 full. I have another one handy with
                  lots of OTR on it.

                  I love this stuff because of what it lets me do.

                  Barry
                • cliff_marsland
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 1 10:30 PM
                    In the U.S. market, not completely. There's Imagination Theater, and
                    a lot of OTR shows on the air, which are fairly popular. Is it the
                    dominant media it once was? No, of course not, and it probably won't
                    be again anytime soon.

                    There's also the largely forgotten form of shortwave. Every midnight
                    EST on weekdays, there's Amos N Andy recreations of the lost serial
                    format on WBCQ. I listen on my 1940 G.E. Fe-112 table console
                    (massive table model as wide as a console). Hi-end radio for then and
                    an excellent performer.

                    I have an AM transmitter coming in the mail, so soon I'll be able to
                    stream any show I want from my archive of transcription dubs and
                    lo-gen shows to my vintage radios (the working ones at least, hehe).
                    I have 5 working consoles, ranging from the years 1937-9, 1 1940
                    Chairside, 1 table console, 2 tabletops. My favorite consoles I have
                    are the 1938 Zenith 9-S-262, the 1937 RCA 810K-1, and 1939
                    Westinghouse WR-366. (www.radioattic.com) has pictures of most of the
                    radio tpes under "archives).

                    So, no, American radio drama isn't completely dead, it's just not the
                    dominant form it once was.
                  • Harry
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 2 2:35 AM
                      Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I was just really surprised how few people on the web
                      mentioned Larry Gelbart's play, whatever its merits or limitations. If it had been on
                      television, it sure would have received more attention. The technology is there, but that
                      doesn't make millions tune in as they used to. And no, I do not have a "take, take, take"
                      mentality. I have paid for the recordings in my library, only a small fraction of which I
                      share (and which are available elsewhere, free of charge, online); in return, I write about (in
                      a sense promote) those programs in my study (which gives credit to the vendors) and on
                      my blog (which lists and links to recordings archives and radio stations). In my
                      podcasting, I use clips rather than entire programs and comment on them. Those we
                      should thank most for the old-time radio shows now available to us are the people who
                      wrote and produced them in the first place. That's what I hope to be doing by spreading
                      the word about them. Cheers.

                      --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, cliff_marsland <no_reply@...> wrote:

                      > In the U.S. market, not completely. There's Imagination Theater, and
                      > a lot of OTR shows on the air, which are fairly popular. Is it the
                      > dominant media it once was? No, of course not, and it probably won't
                      > be again anytime soon.
                      >
                      > There's also the largely forgotten form of shortwave. Every midnight
                      > EST on weekdays, there's Amos N Andy recreations of the lost serial
                      > format on WBCQ. I listen on my 1940 G.E. Fe-112 table console
                      > (massive table model as wide as a console). Hi-end radio for then and
                      > an excellent performer.
                      >
                      > I have an AM transmitter coming in the mail, so soon I'll be able to
                      > stream any show I want from my archive of transcription dubs and
                      > lo-gen shows to my vintage radios (the working ones at least, hehe).
                      > I have 5 working consoles, ranging from the years 1937-9, 1 1940
                      > Chairside, 1 table console, 2 tabletops. My favorite consoles I have
                      > are the 1938 Zenith 9-S-262, the 1937 RCA 810K-1, and 1939
                      > Westinghouse WR-366. (www.radioattic.com) has pictures of most of the
                      > radio tpes under "archives).
                      >
                      > So, no, American radio drama isn't completely dead, it's just not the
                      > dominant form it once was.

                    • RSDpains
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 2 9:55 AM
                        My problem with Sirius and XM satellite is that if you listen long enough
                        you'll hear it's all repeats. Even on XM Ch. 163 Sonic Theater, the Immag.
                        Theater, Harry Nile, Crisis, etc. are repeats after listening for a year.
                        Sirius and XM both get thier OTR from the same place (radio classics AKA
                        Media Bay) and gives them the license to broadcast the OTR.

                        Example is that Compared to all the other OTR out there (there are close to
                        a thousand Suspense shows), XM and Sirius only have say two hundred and they
                        only get new shows twice a year, around a hundred at a time (XM for 98
                        shows 2 months ago and I'm sure Sirius got the same) in return for free
                        advertising for radioclassics.com. The difference is that Sirius plays all
                        the new shows at once where XM spreads them out.

                        The Sonic Theater shows like Immag. thater, Crisis, Harry Nile, etc. can
                        also be purchased but are more expensive, but again I've not heard new ones
                        for around six months now. Twilight Zone, I don't think they make anymore
                        new ones.