dull is in ear of beholder

  • captgerry52
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 28, 2006
      As per The Halls of Ivy or the Easy Aces being dull--I'd far rather
      listen to the voices of Ronald & Benita Colman or Jane Ace than put up
      with some of the so-called "entertainment" of modern media. Law &
      Order's versions are good drama and the only blood you usually see is
      in the intros to each episode, never just gore for gore's sake.
      That makes it a rarity in modern TV that seems oriented to appealing to
      our lower instincts.
    • Montague Magnificent
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 28, 2006
        I agree. Boredom is the barren territory of the
        unimaginative. Even supposedly bad shows are of
        historical or cultural interest. That said, the witty
        and charming Halls of Ivy is my favorite OTR sitcom.
        Cheers, Harry

        http://broadcastellan.blogspot.com/

        --- captgerry52 <captgerry52@...> wrote:

        ---------------------------------
        As per The Halls of Ivy or the Easy Aces being
        dull--I'd far rather
        listen to the voices of Ronald & Benita Colman or Jane
        Ace than put up
        with some of the so-called "entertainment" of modern
        media. Law &
        Order's versions are good drama and the only blood you
        usually see is
        in the intros to each episode, never just gore for
        gore's sake.
        That makes it a rarity in modern TV that seems
        oriented to appealing to
        our lower instincts.

        If for some reason, you feel this group is not for
        you, you can easily unsubscribe from it by sending an
        email to:

        Terms of Service.

      • L. M. Withers
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 28, 2006
          Dull???

          Throwing in my two bits here, I was introduced to Vic and Sade via a "Golden
          Age" album, and then the two books of Paul Rhymer's V&S scripts.
          If anyone else besides Rhymer had written that show, it wouldn't have been
          as good. As for
          The Halls of Ivy, I'd never heard of it until I'd started hosting my own
          classic radio program, "The RADIO Show," in 2003. Ronald and Benita Coleman
          had already proven they could do comedy with their frequent guest
          appearances on The Jack Benny Program, and they were a perfect fit as the
          Halls in that Don Quinn creation.

          That was the great thing about classic radio - there literally _was_
          "something for everybody."
          You don't get that in most entertainment today, I'm afraid. (Especially
          television.)

          Lee here.
        • john
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 28, 2006
            Gee,
            I didn't know I was that stupid!

            john

            -- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, Montague Magnificent
            <broadcastellan@...> wrote:

            > I agree. Boredom is the barren territory of the
            > unimaginative. Even supposedly bad shows are of
            > historical or cultural interest. That said, the witty
            > and charming Halls of Ivy is my favorite OTR sitcom.
            > Cheers, Harry
            >
            > http://broadcastellan.blogspot.com/
            >

            > --- captgerry52 <captgerry52@...> wrote:
            >

            > ---------------------------------
            > As per The Halls of Ivy or the Easy Aces being
            > dull--I'd far rather
            > listen to the voices of Ronald & Benita Colman or Jane
            > Ace than put up
            > with some of the so-called "entertainment" of modern
            > media. Law &
            > Order's versions are good drama and the only blood you
            > usually see is
            > in the intros to each episode, never just gore for
            > gore's sake.
            > That makes it a rarity in modern TV that seems
            > oriented to appealing to
            > our lower instincts.
            >

            > If for some reason, you feel this group is not for
            > you, you can easily unsubscribe from it by sending an
            > email to:
            >
            > But we'll miss you.

            > Terms of Service.
            >

            > ---------------------------------

            > Yahoo! Messenger - NEW crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with
            voicemail http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

          • Montague Magnificent
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
              Not stupid at all. In fact, a very clever way of
              getting a conversation about old-time radio going.
              Don't get me wrong--there are a lot of shows on which
              I don't want to waste whatever time and imagination I
              have to spare. I'm sure I'd get an earful if I listed
              them here. Cheers, Harry

              ---------------------------------

              <broadcastellan@...> wrote:

              > I agree. Boredom is the barren territory of the
              > unimaginative. Even supposedly bad shows are of
              > historical or cultural interest. That said, the
              witty
              > and charming Halls of Ivy is my favorite OTR sitcom.

              > Cheers, Harry
              >
              > http://broadcastellan.blogspot.com/
              >

              > --- captgerry52 <captgerry52@...> wrote:
              >

              > ---------------------------------
              > As per The Halls of Ivy or the Easy Aces being
              > dull--I'd far rather
              > listen to the voices of Ronald & Benita Colman or
              Jane
              > Ace than put up
              > with some of the so-called "entertainment" of modern
              > media. Law &
              > Order's versions are good drama and the only blood
              you
              > usually see is
              > in the intros to each episode, never just gore for
              > gore's sake.
              > That makes it a rarity in modern TV that seems
              > oriented to appealing to
              > our lower instincts.
              >

              > If for some reason, you feel this group is not for
              > you, you can easily unsubscribe from it by sending
              an
              > email to:
              >
              > But we'll miss you.

              to: