RE: [OTRMP3] Re: computer help

  • Michael Byrnes
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 5, 2005
      All modern JVC units are particularly good at playing DVD mp3 discs. If you
      are buying a new DVD player, check to make sure that it can play mp3 CD's
      that are BOTH "+" and "-" (DVD-R and DVD+R formats). That will save a lot of
      agro later.

      Mike

      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 7, 2005
        hey gang, i am totally new here and hope my input is helpful. exactly
        what this topic is about i dont understand yet as i seen something
        about mp3's and playing them in your dvd player. i only want to add
        that i have a single mp3 cd and it plays very well in our apex dvd
        player. i don't know how much of anything this means to any of you
        but let me add that this dvd player came from walmart and the price
        was a whopping $40, quite possibly the cheapest dvd player ever on
        the market. hope this helps.

        --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Byrnes"
        <mbyrnes@n...> wrote:

        > All modern JVC units are particularly good at playing DVD mp3
        discs. If you
        > are buying a new DVD player, check to make sure that it can play
        mp3 CD's
        > that are BOTH "+" and "-" (DVD-R and DVD+R formats). That will save
        a lot of
        > agro later.
        >
        > Mike

        t=ms&k=Podcasts&w1=Old+time+radio+show
        > &w2=Old+radio+shows&w3=Podcasts&c=3&s=60&.sig=iY06JmsXyaIBmV-
        j6XUTag>

        unsubscrib
        > e@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>
        > >

        > > ------------------------------
        > >

        > --
        > Write if the mood strikes.....

        > If for some reason, you feel this group is not for you, you can
        easily
        > unsubscribe from it by sending an email to:
        >
        > But we'll miss you.
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Ron
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 7, 2005
          Mr wdcreasy,
          There are several types of files for audio recordings. The most popular
          format is .mp3. We who collect OTR (Old Time Radio) shows tend to save them
          in the mp3 format. We also trade files (distros) by way of snail mail with
          the files on either a CD or a DVD. DVDs hold a lot more, however some
          standalone DVD players won't recognize the mp3 file format and some will.
          Thje same goes for CD players. Some will play mp3s and some won't.
          Ron.....

          --
          Write if the mood strikes.....

        • cliff_marsland
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 7, 2005
            Per this thread, if your original source is any good at all ALWAYS
            keep a .wav file (16 bit 44.1 khz mono) for the archival file. From
            this, any other compressed file can be made. I make mp3 files for my
            CONVENIENCE copies. I post a lot on usenet's highspeed OTR group, and
            my posts have always been praised for their quality (download my
            Suspense "Lucky Lady" on alt.binaries.sounds.radio.oldtime.highspeed
            on usenet and see what I mean - I did nothing to clean it up, I just
            used a very clean transfer from a master reel). Yes, it's partly
            because I only use the best sources I can find, but it's mostly that I
            follow simple fundamentals of recording/encoding.

            Making good files isn't hard. The essentials are
            1) TIme-correction. Most posts are offspeed. I always time correct
            my files, if needed. Most reel or cassette sources need time correction.
            2) a decent sound card
            3) good RCA cables. Monster cable is ok, but overpriced,
            www.esotericsound.com sells very hi-quality cable at a lesser price.
            4) don't make the low-bitrate mistake. 99.5% of below 64 kbps files
            are crap. (I've heard a lot of high-bitrate klunkers too).
            5) DO NOT GO OVER 0 dB. THAT WILL DISTORT THE FILE.
            6) OTR IS MONO. DON'T ENCODE IN STEREO!!!!!!!!!!
            7) I encode most OTR at 80/44 mono.
            8) DON'T BE DOING 10 tasks on your puter when encoding. I've heard
            countless encodes with digital chatter (blub blub blub).
            9) proper equipment. YOu need a proper re-equalizer (Esoteric Sound
            sells one for around 300 bucks). A decent reel deck (95% of cassettes
            are crap). Most of your quality analog sources, besides
            transcriptions, are going to be reel. And you need good RCA cables to
            hook them up to the puter.
            10) DON'T CLEAN THE FILES!!!!!!!!! (Or if you do, keep an untouched
            version). I've heard sooo many bad "cleaned" files. Leave the
            cleaning to the FIrst Gen people or someone like that. Even I don't
            clean up shows very often. To do it correctly, it's just too
            time-consuming.
            11) in the id3 v2 tag comments section, it's useful to note the source
            of a file, such as "from 2nd gen reel" or "From transcription." That
            way, no confusion.
            How do I encode from the mono .wav archival file (or an audio CD)?
            Well, I normalize the file, then encode to 80/44 mono mp3 if it's OTR.
            If it's new-time radio, use 128/44 stereo at the very least if it's
            a decent source. I leave the computer alone when it's encoding, as
            not to add digital noise. When it's done encoding, I id3 v2 tag it,
            and it's ready.

            I think I covered the biggies.
          • David Oxford
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 8, 2005
              On Nov 7, 2005, at 11:43 PM, cliff_marsland wrote:

              > Making good files isn't hard. The essentials are
              > 1) TIme-correction. Most posts are offspeed. I always time correct
              > my files, if needed. Most reel or cassette sources need time
              > correction.

              Cliff

              Could you elaborate on this aspect. I’ve noted several off speed
              recordings and would like to know how to correct them properly.

              David Oxford
            • barryem
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 8, 2005
                --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, cliff_marsland
                <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                > Per this thread, if your original source is any good at all ALWAYS
                > keep a .wav file (16 bit 44.1 khz mono) for the archival file. From
                > this, any other compressed file can be made. I make mp3 files for my
                > CONVENIENCE copies.

                Have you looked into .flac files for archival purposes? They're
                compressed but they use losseless compression and seem to be a lot
                smaller than .wav files. I've never made one and I don't know much
                about them but de-compressing and re-compressing them is supposed to
                be safe.

                Barry
              • cliff_marsland
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 8, 2005
                  I use goldwave to time correct files because of it's more user
                  friendly time correct interface.

                  --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, David Oxford <david0@c...>