I found a great way to share OTR

  • Rick Phillips
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 13 5:19 AM
      I don't know if anyone else has heard of the private p2p sharing app
      called "grouper" It is a fantastic way to share otr. it is a
      completely safe program that lets those of like interests share
      their files with others who are invited to be in their group. That
      means I can share all 57 gigs of my otr with others that also have
      otr to share. We can see what the other members of the group have
      to share and only download the files we need or want. You don't
      expose your other directories to anyone. Just the ones with the
      programs you want to share. You can even just set aside a directory
      using your windows explorer that you wish to devote to the group or
      like in my case I just open my entire folder that I call OLD TIME
      RADIO and make it available to all invited members. If you would
      like to join or just find out about it send me a note at: rickp98
      at yahoo.com and I'll send you an invite as well as a link to find
      out all the info you want about "grouper" the private peer to peer
      sharing application. You can find out all about it before you join.

      Rick Phillips
      Rick's old time radio page
      rickp53.com
    • barryem
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 13 6:17 AM
        --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Phillips"
        <rickp53@e...> wrote:
        > I don't know if anyone else has heard of the private p2p sharing app
        > called "grouper"

        A lot of us are aleady doing that with DC++. Adding another program
        into the mix will make things less available, not more.

        Barry
      • Christy Britain
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 13 6:45 AM
          I'm not familiar with either one, would someone clue me in, help me get started?

          Christy
          Murder Most British Website
          Murder Most British Old Time Radio Broadcast
          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." Alfred Hitchcock who was quoting Thomas de Quincy

          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 13 8:10 AM
            But it might give you access to different users who have something to
            offer.

            --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, barryem <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Phillips"
            > <rickp53@e...> wrote:
            > > I don't know if anyone else has heard of the private p2p sharing app
            > > called "grouper"
            >
            > A lot of us are aleady doing that with DC++. Adding another program
            > into the mix will make things less available, not more.
            >
            > Barry
          • barryem
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 13 8:39 AM
              --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, Christy Britain
              <murdermostbritish@y...> wrote:
              > I'm not familiar with either one, would someone clue me in, help me
              get started?

              There are a number of popular point to point systems. DC++ seems to
              be most popular among OTR listeners.

              Basically what you do is install the DC++ software, which is free, and
              sign up with a hub. I'm on one called OTRHUB. To get a password you
              join the Yahoo group at groups.yahoo.com/group/otrhub. There you
              request a password and user name, etc.

              When you sign onto the hub you can see everyone else who is signed on
              to it and exchange files with them.

              This is the same kind of system that music people use to exchange
              music, which is sometimes illegal so passwords are usually given out
              after they get to know you a little but it's not that hard. I'm
              careful to restrict my share to OTR that I expect to be legal to share
              with others. Some aren't so careful.

              Most activity on these hubs consists of trading OTR which is legal but
              there's no way to make sure that people only share OTR and for that
              reason passwords are given out with a little care.

              In order to get in you have to have files designated to share with
              others. I think they require that you have 1 or 2 gig to share before
              you can get into the hub. Some of the people in it have hundreds of
              gig to share.

              Barry
            • barryem
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 13 8:43 AM
                --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, old_radios <no_reply@y...>
                wrote:

                > But it might give you access to different users who have something to
                > offer.

                Possibly. This is a pubic forum and if you think splitting it up is
                the way to go then go for it.

                I think getting us all on the same hubs is the way to go so we can all
                share with one another. I don't want 2 programs of this type running
                all the time. That takes up more resources. I suspect, or at least
                hope, that others agree.

                Barry
              • beckypyle226
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 13 9:51 AM
                  Christy: there are quite a few Direct Connect Hubs with OTR files.
                  I suggest that you first join two Yahoo groups.

                  The OldTymeRadioMans group is a good starting point:
                  There you can get a free (and trouble-free) version of the DC++
                  program.
                  After you join the group, go to Files,
                  and download the DCPlusPlus zip file and install the program.
                  (Don't try to configure it yet!)
                  While you're there in the "OldTymer" files,
                  read "Group HUB Access", and apply to join that Hub.

                  I then encourage you to try the OTR Researcher's Distro Group.
                  It has a lot of high quality recordings and very accurate program
                  identification.
                  After you join this Yahoo group, go to
                  Files > How To Get Our OTR Series > AccessingTheLibraryHub.rtf
                  The rtf includes a link to good instructions on configuring your
                  DC++ client program, and instructions on how to request access to
                  the OTRRDG Hub.

                  There is one more thing to do before you configure your DC++ client.
                  Put all of the MP3 file folders that you are ready to share into one
                  big folder. You will need to point the DC++ program to this folder
                  during setup.

                  Finally, if you seem to have entered everything and you can't get
                  connected, you may have to disable (or bypass) a security program.
                  In my setup, I right-click an icon in the lower right and
                  select "disable".
                • don wallace
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 13 1:32 PM
                    Can anyone tell me how hubs work if you have a dialup
                    line?

                    Don Wallace
                    Portland, Or.

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • woody_woodward
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 13 1:40 PM
                      DC++ does work with dial-up. However it is woefully slow. You will
                      likely see download speeds slower than what you get with http or ftp
                      transfers. Because the modems are asymetrical, upload speeds are
                      downright painfull. Having said that, my advice is try it. I'm on
                      dial-up myself.

                      Woody
                      --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, don wallace
                      <donhondax@y...> wrote:
                      > Can anyone tell me how hubs work if you have a dialup
                      > line?
                      >

                      > Don Wallace
                      > Portland, Or.

                      > http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • barryem
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 13 2:25 PM
                        <donhondax@y...> wrote:
                        > Can anyone tell me how hubs work if you have a dialup
                        > line?

                        I used DC++ when I had dial-up but it wasn't nearly as good. when
                        half my bandwidth went to uploading things got pretty bad.

                        I did have a seperate phone line for the modem or else I wouldn't have
                        been on enough to make it worthwhile.

                        Fortunately a lot people won't download from you if you don't have
                        broadband so it could be worse. All in all it wasn't too bad. It was
                        worth having.

                        Barry
                      • drutsala@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 13 3:58 PM
                          In a message dated 7/13/2005 4:40:30 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                          no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:

                          DC++ does work with dial-up. However it is woefully slow. You will
                          likely see download speeds slower than what you get with http or ftp
                          transfers. Because the modems are asymetrical, upload speeds are
                          downright painfull. Having said that, my advice is try it. I'm on
                          dial-up myself.

                          Woody

                          It may be my computer set up, but I find Hub downloads about on a par with
                          FTP and a bit faster than http.

                          In addition, you can exit the program whenever you like, and when you come
                          back the download picks up where you left off.

                          So even for dial-up users, hubs are the best way to share files.

                          -- David

                        • Peter Blood
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 13 8:05 PM
                            It makes a lot of sense to have one single p2p that the group uses for its members. Since I'm relatively new here still, I was wondering if a census was taken to get a quorum opinion if DC++ would be best?? I know that I prefer a couple of other p2p warez that I switch between. I tried DC++ last year for other things we need not get into, but my problem was the whole 1 or 2 gig to join a hub...I just dont have a lot of free hard disk space, so it didnt work out for me. However, I dont know the lists mind on this...should a group hub have an amount requirement to join and share? I know as a beginner I was at the mercy of kind people who shared their material on-line without trades or size requirements. I personally feel indebted to repay that kindness in giving freely to others if I ever can. Theoretically I dont have a problem with DC++ outside of size requirement to join in. If I was in that box personally I'd never have 1-2 gigs without spending money, which hurts the newcomer
                            to the hobby. Okay theres my soap box...nuff said.

                            wrote:

                            > But it might give you access to different users who have something to
                            > offer.

                            Possibly. This is a pubic forum and if you think splitting it up is
                            the way to go then go for it.

                            I think getting us all on the same hubs is the way to go so we can all
                            share with one another. I don't want 2 programs of this type running
                            all the time. That takes up more resources. I suspect, or at least
                            hope, that others agree.

                            Barry

                            Old time radio show Old radio shows Vintage radio Trade cds Satellite radio

                            Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead.)

                          • Rick Phillips
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 14 12:18 AM
                              I tried that. Every time I went on there I was unable to download
                              from anyone. I don't mess with it now. More hastle then grouper by
                              far. IMHO anyway.

                              Rick

                              wrote:
                              > --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Phillips"
                              > <rickp53@e...> wrote:
                              > > I don't know if anyone else has heard of the private p2p sharing
                              app
                              > > called "grouper"
                              >
                              > A lot of us are aleady doing that with DC++. Adding another program
                              > into the mix will make things less available, not more.
                              >
                              > Barry
                            • Rick Phillips
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 14 12:27 AM
                                Thanks Pat. That is all I was implying. Don't mean to discourage any
                                way to trade otr. I did not have a good experiance with the otrhub
                                that is being talked about. I have connected to it with the
                                permission of the owner w/user name and password. Many times I tried
                                to find out what others in the hub had to share. Even when I knew
                                they had signed on. I would try to just find what they had to offer
                                and each time I was disconnected from the Hub. Too much time wasting
                                for me. I just don't have the time to keep trying. With Grouper I
                                have had results within a few minutes of joining an otr group. I just
                                think any new way to share that some of us like can only enrich the
                                experiance of collecting.

                                Rick

                                wrote:

                                > But it might give you access to different users who have something to
                                > offer.
                                >
                                > --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, barryem <no_reply@y...>
                                wrote:
                                > > --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Phillips"
                                > > <rickp53@e...> wrote:
                                > > > I don't know if anyone else has heard of the private p2p sharing
                                app
                                > > > called "grouper"
                                > >
                                > > A lot of us are aleady doing that with DC++. Adding another
                                program
                                > > into the mix will make things less available, not more.
                                > >
                                > > Barry
                              • Rick Phillips
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 14 12:31 AM
                                  In addition, you can exit the program whenever you like, and when
                                  you come
                                  > back the download picks up where you left off.

                                  Same is true with Grouper.com

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 14 5:34 AM
                                    Hi Rick

                                    Like you, I was just suggesting to give it a try, not make everyone
                                    use it.

                                    Pat

                                    <rickp53@e...> wrote:
                                    > Thanks Pat. That is all I was implying. Don't mean to discourage any
                                    > way to trade otr. I did not have a good experiance with the otrhub
                                    > that is being talked about. I have connected to it with the
                                    > permission of the owner w/user name and password. Many times I tried
                                    > to find out what others in the hub had to share. Even when I knew
                                    > they had signed on. I would try to just find what they had to offer
                                    > and each time I was disconnected from the Hub. Too much time wasting
                                    > for me. I just don't have the time to keep trying. With Grouper I
                                    > have had results within a few minutes of joining an otr group. I just
                                    > think any new way to share that some of us like can only enrich the
                                    > experiance of collecting.
                                    >
                                    > Rick
                                    >

                                    > --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, old_radios <no_reply@y...>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > But it might give you access to different users who have something to
                                    > > offer.
                                    > >
                                    > > --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, barryem <no_reply@y...>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > > > --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Phillips"
                                    > app
                                    > > >
                                    > > > A lot of us are aleady doing that with DC++. Adding another
                                    > program
                                    > > > into the mix will make things less available, not more.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Barry
                                  • barryem
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 14 6:12 AM
                                      --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, Peter Blood
                                      <doctor_peter_blood@y...> wrote:
                                      > It makes a lot of sense to have one single p2p that the group uses
                                      for its members. Since I'm relatively new here still, I was wondering
                                      if a census was taken to get a quorum opinion if DC++ would be best??
                                      I know that I prefer a couple of other p2p warez that I switch
                                      between. I tried DC++ last year for other things we need not get
                                      into, but my problem was the whole 1 or 2 gig to join a hub...I just
                                      dont have a lot of free hard disk space, so it didnt work out for me.
                                      However, I dont know the lists mind on this...should a group hub have
                                      an amount requirement to join and share? I know as a beginner I was at
                                      the mercy of kind people who shared their material on-line without
                                      trades or size requirements. I personally feel indebted to repay that
                                      kindness in giving freely to others if I ever can. Theoretically I
                                      dont have a problem with DC++ outside of size requirement to join in.
                                      If I was in that box personally I'd never have 1-2 gigs without
                                      spending money, which hurts the newcomer
                                      > to the hobby. Okay theres my soap box...nuff said.

                                      I'm not really advocating DC++ as such. It's the only one I've ever
                                      used so I have no way of knowing it's the best. What I do know is
                                      there are hubs that are primarily OTR hubs and it's already going and
                                      a lot of people are using it.

                                      About the minimum, the hub owners set that and they can set that so
                                      there's no minumum. I've suggested that a couple of times but no-one
                                      seemed interested. I personally think that is a little silly. Since
                                      they only let in people they choose to let in anyway and since a lot
                                      of people have enough room, I don't see the point of a minumum. But
                                      that's not my decision.

                                      When I first started DC++ I was also short of space and setting that
                                      gig aside was a pretty big sacrifice for me. Now I have a larger
                                      computer but I remember how difficult that made things for me then.
                                      And since I was on dialup then nobody downloaded much from me anyway
                                      so it was mostly wasted.

                                      I'd like to see the hubs be a little more generous than that.

                                      Barry
                                    • barryem
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 14 6:16 AM
                                        <rickp53@e...> wrote:
                                        > Thanks Pat. That is all I was implying. Don't mean to discourage any
                                        > way to trade otr. I did not have a good experiance with the otrhub
                                        > that is being talked about. I have connected to it with the
                                        > permission of the owner w/user name and password. Many times I tried
                                        > to find out what others in the hub had to share. Even when I knew
                                        > they had signed on. I would try to just find what they had to offer
                                        > and each time I was disconnected from the Hub. Too much time wasting
                                        > for me. I just don't have the time to keep trying. With Grouper I
                                        > have had results within a few minutes of joining an otr group. I just
                                        > think any new way to share that some of us like can only enrich the
                                        > experiance of collecting.

                                        If you had a problem did you ask for some help? I find DC++ almost
                                        trivla to use.

                                        Since I put in a router I have a few problems with it. Before the
                                        router it was a snap. I have the router set up correctly and the
                                        ports forwarded correctly and an active connection with no problems
                                        but I have to switch to passive mode to search. Why I don't know but
                                        that's the only problem I have with it and I don't really care enough
                                        to try to figure it out and fix it. :)

                                        Barry
                                      • dal3856
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jul 14 7:23 AM
                                          There isn't a minimum share required at

                                          dal3856

                                          <doctor_peter_blood@y...> wrote:
                                          > It makes a lot of sense to have one single p2p that the group uses
                                          for its members. Since I'm relatively new here still, I was
                                          wondering if a census was taken to get a quorum opinion if DC++
                                          would be best?? I know that I prefer a couple of other p2p warez
                                          that I switch between. I tried DC++ last year for other things we
                                          need not get into, but my problem was the whole 1 or 2 gig to join a
                                          hub...I just dont have a lot of free hard disk space, so it didnt
                                          work out for me. However, I dont know the lists mind on
                                          this...should a group hub have an amount requirement to join and
                                          share? I know as a beginner I was at the mercy of kind people who
                                          shared their material on-line without trades or size requirements.
                                          I personally feel indebted to repay that kindness in giving freely
                                          to others if I ever can. Theoretically I dont have a problem with
                                          DC++ outside of size requirement to join in. If I was in that box
                                          personally I'd never have 1-2 gigs without spending money, which
                                          hurts the newcomer
                                          > to the hobby. Okay theres my soap box...nuff said.
                                          >
                                          > barryem <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                          > --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, old_radios
                                          <no_reply@y...>
                                          > wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > But it might give you access to different users who have
                                          something to
                                          > > offer.
                                          >
                                          > Possibly. This is a pubic forum and if you think splitting it up
                                          is
                                          > the way to go then go for it.
                                          >
                                          > I think getting us all on the same hubs is the way to go so we can
                                          all
                                          > share with one another. I don't want 2 programs of this type
                                          running
                                          > all the time. That takes up more resources. I suspect, or at
                                          least
                                          > hope, that others agree.
                                          >
                                          > Barry
                                          >

                                          > If for some reason, you feel this group is not for you, you can
                                          easily unsubscribe from it by sending an email to:

                                          > But we'll miss you.

                                          > Old time radio show Old radio shows Vintage radio Trade cds
                                          Satellite radio

                                          Service.

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jul 30 9:35 PM
                                            Ok I admit. I made a mistake. After being on "Grouper" for a couple
                                            weeks I find it is just another bandwidth sucker and time consuming
                                            app. I found that dl rates were rediculously slow yet others could
                                            download from me at really fast clips. So any one I influenced to
                                            join this P2P software app. I apologize. I can see how this seems to
                                            be a place for youngsters anyway. I really felt out of place. I am
                                            sure there will be lots of folks who enjoy this type of thing but I
                                            am not one. So All you nay sayers from when I first brought this to
                                            the groups attention. You were right, I was wrong. I think I'll
                                            stick to my ftp Paid sites. I am able to get lots of shows I lack in
                                            my collection and I have a blast doing It.

                                            I love OTR!!!
                                            Rick

                                            <rickp53@e...> wrote:
                                            > I don't know if anyone else has heard of the private p2p sharing
                                            app
                                            > called "grouper" It is a fantastic way to share otr. it is a
                                            > completely safe program that lets those of like interests share
                                            > their files with others who are invited to be in their group. That
                                            > means I can share all 57 gigs of my otr with others that also have
                                            > otr to share. We can see what the other members of the group have
                                            > to share and only download the files we need or want. You don't
                                            > expose your other directories to anyone. Just the ones with the
                                            > programs you want to share. You can even just set aside a
                                            directory
                                            > using your windows explorer that you wish to devote to the group or
                                            > like in my case I just open my entire folder that I call OLD TIME
                                            > RADIO and make it available to all invited members. If you would
                                            > like to join or just find out about it send me a note at: rickp98
                                            > at yahoo.com and I'll send you an invite as well as a link to find
                                            > out all the info you want about "grouper" the private peer to peer
                                            > sharing application. You can find out all about it before you join.
                                            >
                                            > Rick Phillips
                                            > Rick's old time radio page
                                            > rickp53.com
                                          • Peter Blood
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jul 31 12:27 PM
                                              Sorry to hear things have been seemingly so negative with your p2p experiences. I just joined your grouper and haven't had the chance to check things out. Just for the heck of it, I assume you've checked out some things about p2p. BTW I do appreciate your website. Anyway, I'm on dial-up til Monday...family plan without a router. I have not ran into a p2p program that doesn't suck bandwith...which is why I usually do one thing on one pc and downloading on another pc during the weekdays. Even with that on cable my download can suck also depending on the connection I have...I have found nothing in life is guaranteed. My cable upload speed is worthless at times...where I live they started marketing high speed cable into 3 prices levels to make more money. FTP is cool also in my expierences, but again I have run into some ruff spots. Not that I have a lot that other people want, it always seems like they can download faster than I can. My end point is this...for me I'm just glad there
                                              are cool people out there who believe in sharing, whatever method it is, be it your website, an ftp or a p2p...

                                              I wish you better luck in the future...and don't let the feeling this is a place or thing for youngsters get in your hair. I feel that way all the time...I had a job offer for $25.00 p/h for 25 hours near by me and had to let it go because I have no experience in VOIP rollout. It wasn't all that long ago they had this new fangled thing called a teleyphone...and anyone who didnt have one was considered behind the times...it was one thing getting used to the "horseless carraige", but talking to someone from one side of America to the other was ridiculous. Well, I guess we all got ove that...so what's next? (I feel horrible using VHS to record), so relax and join the crowd of those feeling out of kilter.