Re: Glad To Be Aboard

  • dal3856
    Message 1 of 80 , Apr 4 7:00 PM
      Gil, that isn't my web site. I thought you might be interested in
      it.

      dal3856

      --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Gilbert"
      <cgilbert11@p...> wrote:

> [...]
      glowed
      > from the light behind it. The station listings went around in a
      > circle...not across, like today. I was born in 1934 (I'm 71), so
      most
      > of the OTR I heard came when I was around 5 (maybe older). So...I
      > don't remember any of the early episodes of "The Lone Ranger" (the
      > ones with Earle Graser). I have heard some of them, on the
      internet,
      > and still say that Fred Foy was better than any of them!
      >
      > Gil
      >

      > --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, dal3856 <no_reply@y...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > We still have our old 1932 Philco console that we listened to in
      > the
      > > 1940's and 1950's. My father bought it used in 1940. It still
      > works.
      > > I had it repaired about 7 years ago. It hadn't been working
      since
      > > the late 50's. I had to pick up the chassis from the radio shop.
      > > When I got it home I put it back in the cabinet, hooked up the
      twin
      > > speakers, plugged it in the power cord, turned on the radio and
      > > after the 30 second warm up, tuned in Fibber Mcgee and Molly
      from
      > > WHO, 1040kcs, Des Moines, IA. I thought I was in a time warp! I
      > > hadn't listened to that radio in 45 years, and certainly wasn't
      > > expecting to hear an old favorite broadcast from 1000 miles
      away.
      > > That brought back lots of memories.
      > >
      > > Here's the Lone Ranger's radio:
      > >
      > > http://johnjeanantiqueradio.com/Loneranger/loneranger.htm
      > >
      > > dal3856
      > >
      > > --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Gilbert"
      > > <cgilbert11@p...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi, everyone! All my friends call me Gil. I know Joe Mackey on
      > > this
      > > > group, but would like to meet some other OTR fans. I can
      > remember,
      > > as a
      > > > kid, coming home from school, so that I could catch the latest
      > > > adventure of "Terry And The Pirates", or "Tennessee Jed",
      > or "Jack
      > > > Armstrong-The All American Boy". My favorite program, however,
      > > was "The
      > > > Lone Ranger"...mostly because I love classical music, and this
      > > show
      > > > used classical for the "interlude music", on the show. I
      found
      > > out the
      > > > names of most of these classical works, but it took many years
      > > > discover that the "unknowns" were actually taken from the
      > Republic
      > > > Pictures music files...composed by such persons as Alberto
      > > Colombo, Cy
      > > > Fruer, Karl Hajos, and William Lava. I purchased Reg Jones'
      book
      > > > called "The Mystery Of The Masked Man's Music", and also the
      CD
      > > put out
      > > > by James King...where he uses the actual tracks from the Ben
      > > Bonnell
      > > > arrangements. My favorite title, in this CD, is "Heavy
      Agitato",
      > > by
      > > > Colombo. My second favorite is "Mechanical Montage", by Karl
      > Hajos.
      > > >
      > > > Gil
    • Charles Gilbert
      Message 80 of 80 , Apr 9 10:33 AM
        Joe...didn't know I had stated it that way <g>. Wrong metaphor problem,
        I guess <g>. I meant the tubes in the TV were "burned out", and I went
        to the drugstore to get "good ones" <g>

        Gil

        --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, Joe Mackey