MP3 Player

  • GSerr
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4, 2005
      I am considering buying an MP3 player and downloading directly from my
      hard drive. Recognizing the low bit rate of OTR programs, I would be
      interested in the experience of others.
    • barryem
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 4, 2005
        --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, GSerr <no_reply@y...> wrote:

        > I am considering buying an MP3 player and downloading directly from my
        > hard drive. Recognizing the low bit rate of OTR programs, I would be
        > interested in the experience of others.

        I've used the following for OTR:

        Rio 500
        Audible Otis
        Frontier Labs Nex II
        Creative Muvo
        Sandisk SDMX-1

        All work just fine. All have resume and fast forward and rewind
        within a track. All handle low bitrates just fine.

        The Muvo and the Sandisk both have great battery life and are tiny and
        weigh practically nothing and are cheap and come in a variety of
        sizes. Of the two I think I like the Muvo better but some days I like
        the Sandisk better....hard to choose.

        The Muvo's ff/rew buttons are clumsy but work well once you get used
        to them. Other than that it has a great user interface.

        The Sandisk has about as good an interface and a lot more features and
        no problem with the ff/rew except that they don't accellerate so on
        large files it takes longer. You can control the speed but not on the
        fly and it won't ever go as fast as I'd like.

        The Nex II has the world's worse interface but is actually a very nice
        device if you don't mind accidentally pressing the wrong button half
        the time. It's battery life isn't that great.

        The Rio 500 is no longer made and is very buggy but it easilly has the
        best user interface of any player I've ever used. This thing is a
        delight to use when you're playing but it's a nightmare to put files
        on it. Again, battery life isn't great. They're available on Ebay
        most of the time at reasonable prices.

        The Audible Otis is a pain in the whatever to put files on but it's
        user interface is really very nice.

        Offhand I only recommend the Rio and the Otis and the Nex if you get a
        very good deal on them. The Muvos and the Sandisk players are getting
        really inexpensive and they're really a lot better.

        I'm sure there are other players as good as these but these are the
        ones I know about.

        Oh yeah, I also have an Archos 6 gig jukebox that's very buggy and a
        lot of trouble but plays OTR just fine and with the alternate free OS
        called Rockbox it has all the features and they're all a snap to use.
        It's not something that fits comfortably in a pocket, though. It's
        portable...sort of.

        Barry
      • GSerr
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 5, 2005
          Thanks for the information. You were very helpful.

          Jerry

          --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, barryem <no_reply@y...>

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 5, 2005
            Hey guys,
            Here'sa some good info on the different players out there now-
            http://www.mp3newswire.net/

            Pat

          • Tom Higgins
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 5, 2005
              Two options that I have picked.....

              For just listening I love love love my Creative Labs 30gig Zen Nomad.
              Amazing device, low bit rates are no probelm, moving files around is a
              snap, and man is it ever the pocket archive. Sound quality is top
              notch and the controls are perfect for an in the pocket navigation.
              Battery is a Lion with about 10 hours of life between charges.

              For listening and recording you would have to look far and wide to
              find someting better than the Iriver 899. 1 gig of space, a real line
              in with a mic or line option, a built in mic, easy to use software to
              move files (windows and linux)...its an amzing device. I have been
              using it to record podcasts either on the fly, with my computer or
              straight from the mixing board at church. Sounf quality is top notch.
              Battery is on AA battery, lasts about 7-9 hours. TIny Tiny Tiny, I
              wear it round my neck.

              Hope this helps

              -tomhiggins
            • Comodo Dragon
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 6, 2005
                Have you looked at MiniDisc's .
                removable media,
                1GB, 305MB disc,
                battery is a single AA,
                about 14 hours play back (older versions got 48 hours),
                Records from line (digital/analogue) or external mic,
                Upload from computer (requires sony's software),
                prices have just halved (new version to be released soon),
                Gapless play (something ipods can't do),
                Resume play ability,
                Stronger than harddisc players (passes the drop test),

                Limited download to computer ability (analogue recordings only)

                www.minidisc.org
                http://forums.minidisc.org/
                http://www.minidisct.com/forum/index.php
                http://www.sony.net/Products/Hi-MD/index.html